X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlin
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
    Below is another example of an MPO affiliated church advertising itself as a "Macedonian Orthodox Church". circa 1960

(official name: St. Mary's Bulgarian-Macedonian Orthodox Church, Syracuse, NY)

It looks like this is from the following MPO publication.

From the same publication -

Last edited by Carlin; 01-11-2019, 03:56 AM.

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
      • Apr 2014

Anyone have any information of the current links between the MPO and UMD?
      I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Finally got around to reading your book Vic. My main question coming from it is why do you believe some members of the MPO possessed this view that we are simply Bulgarians? It is clear from the evidence you provided that this pattern of thought was not present from the organisation's founding and only began to take shape after Mihajlov came to power.
        I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• vicsinad
          • May 2011

LoM, Thanks for reading the book.

Early on in the book I state that it shouldn't be surprising that a certain number MPO's founders believed that Macedonians were a separate race/nationality. However, I think the evidence is also clear that some MPO members (by all means, not all) held the train of thought that Macedonians were Bulgarians since its inception, such as Jordan Chkatroff and Srebren Poppetrov, who were sent to the US by Aleksandrov to organize the Macedonians. Many of those who were pro-Macedonian had very little involvement in MPO affairs and were out within 6-7 years (at least those involved with MPO on the political side of things; there were many who were only marginally involved who showed no pro-Bulgarian tendencies). Poppetrov referred to the Macedonians as "Bulgarians from Macedonia" in the early 1920s. He pointed out how they were not organized and split between faith and identity, and he helped organize these Macedonians under the Bulgarian name. That was his job. Also, Nizamoff was involved from the beginning and he was constantly referring to the Macedonians as Bulgarians until his death 50 years later.

There's also the Steelton faction of MPO that existed before MPO formation. There were two groups of Steelton Macedonians, one pro-Bulgarian and one pro-Macedonian. The pro-Bulgarian group helped found the MPO and referred to Macedonians as "Bulgarians, Roumanians and Turks from Macedonia," while the other group simply referred to Macedonians as Macedonians.

Thus, I don't think the Bulgarian identity was strong (as a whole for MPO in the beginning), but it was indeed nevertheless present in the beginning and evolved as the years went on. Instead of shaking off Bulgarian propaganda, they embraced it and moulded it into their Macedono-Bulgarian identity.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Yeah they did seem to form their own little identity not quite Macedonian but not fully Bulgarian either. Odd lot that's for sure. Gotta wonder how conscious the rank-and-file were of the biases up top.

Comment

• Carlin
              • Dec 2011

In the 1950s, publicist and Romanian politician Constantine Papanache began publishing the "Macedonia" newspaper in Italy. Papanache was born in 1904 in a Vlach village near Veria/Бер.

The newspaper is dedicated to the struggles of the "Macedonian-Romanians" and advocates the creation of an Independent Macedonia in which all Macedonian nationalities live freely. "Macedonia" was published in English, French, Italian and German, and was published with the assistance of the MPO.

Comment

• Apr 2014

They supported him probably because his views alligned with theirs, that being that Macedonia was inhabitated by various different "races" and the Macedonian identity was purely regional...

Comment

Working...
                X