• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by makedonin View Post
    And some more:

After your Authors, some Interpreter had to translate to him from "Macedonian Greek" in to "Koine Greek", right?
    correct Makedonin, that is what they meant.....
    Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• makedonin
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Daskalot View Post
      correct Makedonin, that is what they meant.....
      didn't they

where is BoringStuff i.e. Borislav to give his enlightened comment on this one
      To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• Daskalot
        • Sep 2008

didn't they

where is BoringStuff i.e. Borislav to give his enlightened comment on this one
        Borislav had to leave us, he had urgent matters to take care of in Ellada.
        Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Pelister
          • Sep 2008

Whats the context of this passage?

" . . . Macedonatus, homines linguae suae per interpretem audire,"
          ". . . born a Macedonian, to hear the men of his language through an interpreter,"

Curtius(2) Hist. Alex. Magni Maced., IV, I11.4.

Is this a correct translation? I've never come across it before.

I think this has been made up to challenge the fact that the ancient Macedonians used translators on two occasions, to converse with Greeks.

Comment

• makedonin
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Pelister View Post
            Whats the context of this passage?

" . . . Macedonatus, homines linguae suae per interpretem audire,"
            ". . . born a Macedonian, to hear the men of his language through an interpreter,"

Curtius(2) Hist. Alex. Magni Maced., IV, I11.4.

Is this a correct translation? I've never come across it before.

I think this has been made up to challenge the fact that the ancient Macedonians used translators on two occasions, to converse with Greeks.
            yep it is correct translation, look up here:

What was the Mother Tongue of Alexander the Great

It is the Philotas case, the Grkoman of the Time, who was Macedonian but was not ashamed to converse with Macedonians through Translator in Koine.

@Daskalot

Sad thing about Borislav ;-)
            Last edited by makedonin; 10-19-2008, 05:08 AM.
            To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• osiris
              • Sep 2008

is there an online curtius rufus book like herodutus or must we buy it.

Comment

• makedonin
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
                is there an online curtius rufus book like herodutus or must we buy it.
                you could download it here: Alexandri Magni

Notice that Philotas was rediculing the ordinary Macedonian Troops who were from peasantry descent calling them Phrygians and Paflagonians
                Last edited by makedonin; 10-19-2008, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• Pelister
                  • Sep 2008

you could download it here: Alexandri Magni

Notice that Philotas was rediculing the ordinary Macedonian Troops who were from peasantry descent calling them Phrygians and Paflagonians
                  Why would he do that, unless to be called Brygian of Pelesgian was a cultural sleight of some kind?

The whole thing pisses me off. There is absolutely no evidence or even suggestion that a translator is being used from a Greek dialect to Koine, and given the use of translators in other instances, I find this guys agreement that this point is basically sound to be a massive stretch of the facts.

Comment

• makedonin
                    • Sep 2008

Why would he do that, unless to be called Brygian of Pelesgian was a cultural sleight of some kind?

The whole thing pisses me off. There is absolutely no evidence or even suggestion that a translator is being used from a Greek dialect to Koine, and given the use of translators in other instances, I find this guys agreement that this point is basically sound to be a massive stretch of the facts.
                    if you think so

Phrygians were living along the Macedonians for many centuries, and for some reason part of them moved to Anadolia. It is thought that a bulk of Macedonians comprised of Phrygian Element.

So you might call this sleight, cause the wanna be Greek Philotas considered him of higher cultural level.

Alexander and the Royals of his employed Koine, it is a fact, and Philotas as Royal dude was fond to Koine. Thats not written nowhere on Black and White, but if you think about it, it is only logical.

Thus, the question is, did the Philotas who were fond of Hellenic Culture and speaking Koine got something translated from one Greek Dialect in to another?

Since his commrads and fellow Macedonians of lower class, the peasant
                    class, had to talk to him through Interpreter?

It is on you to judge

Translation from "Macedonian Greek" in to Koine Greek.
                    Last edited by makedonin; 10-20-2008, 03:52 AM.

Comment

• Pelister
                      • Sep 2008

if you think so

Phrygians were living along the Macedonians for many centuries, and for some reason part of them moved to Anadolia. It is thought that a bulk of Macedonians comprised of Phrygian Element

So you might call this sleight, cause the wanna be Greek Philotas considered him of higher cultural level.
                      Yea, I can see how he might want to do that.

Alexander and the Royals of his employed Koine, it is a fact, and Philotas as Royal dude was fond to Koine. Thats not written nowhere on Black and White, but if you think about it, it is only logical.
                      I know Koine was the language of Empire - and Philotas was fond of it.

Thus, the question is, did the Philotas who were fond of Hellenic Culture and speaking Koine got something translated from one Greek Dialect in to another?
                      Why are you assuming Philotas's native language was a "Greek dialect"? There is absolutely no evidence for that - in fact all the evidence points to contrary. The native language of the Macedonians - was not a Greek dialect.

It is on you to judge
                      Translation from "Macedonian Greek" in to Koine Greek.[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Pelister
                        • Sep 2008

if you think so

Phrygians were living along the Macedonians for many centuries, and for some reason part of them moved to Anadolia. It is thought that a bulk of Macedonians comprised of Phrygian Element

Yea, I can see how he might want to do that.

I know Koine was the language of Empire - and Philotas was fond of it.

Why are you assuming Philotas's native language was a "Greek dialect"? There is absolutely no evidence for that - in fact all the evidence points to contrary. The native language of the Macedonians - was not a Greek dialect.

It is on you to judge
                        So, from a historical point of view, and given what we know about the native language of the Macedonians - it misrepresents the native language of the ancient Macedonians, as a "Greek dialect".

Comment

• makedonin
                          • Sep 2008

Why are you assuming Philotas's native language was a "Greek dialect"?
                          we misunderstand each other bro.

I never did this, but rather refered to the assumption of the Neo Hellenes, that is why I wrote "Greek Macedonian" and used the " " and I guess I forgot the paranteses when I wrote
                          from one Greek Dialect in to another?
                          but kind a hoped it is clear that this is hypotetical question.

I hope we understand eachother now.

But I guess that this misunderstanding is cause of my Shtipski writing style, who knows
                          Last edited by makedonin; 10-21-2008, 03:15 AM.

Comment

• Pelister
                            • Sep 2008

Ancient Macedonian song/inscription found near the village of Gradeshnica, Macedonia.

Check out the date of the inscription. Greeks say 5000 BC, Bulgarians say 3,500 BC - well which one is it??

Comment

• makedonin
                              • Sep 2008

Athenaeus, Deipnosophistae

Comment

• Pelister
                                • Sep 2008

Thanks Makedonin.

I was already aware of this event but I enjoyed seeing the passages analysed in more detail.

It reminds me of something Borza once said. It doesn't matter what we think, what matters more is what the Macedonians thought of themselves, and what the Greeks thought of the Macedonians, and based on this alone, they are two distinct races of people.

Comment

Working...
                                X