X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vicsinad
    • May 2011

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    I read this book some time ago and was trying to find the time to write a meaningful review shortly after completing the book. I apologise to Vic for my delayed thoughts.

This is a wonderful book from someone who is passionate and interested in Macedonian matters. It is extremely well researched and referenced. The topics are highly emotive and the absolute terror, deprivation and abuse the Macedonians suffered at the hands of Ottoman Turks, Greeks, Serbs and Bulgarians is utterly devastating and often infuriating. The suffering of the Macedonians is described in heart breaking detail and the current psyche of Macedonians can most definitely trace itself back to such tormented eras as the period reviewed by the author.

The reader will feel the increasing frustration of the Macedonians serfs which precipitated the creation of a hidden Macedonian state within the debauched and progressively fragmented Ottoman empire.

Quite simply, it is a book that every Macedonian should read, own and remember. Quite importantly, it is a book that highlights how absolute power corrupts absolutely. The suffering of the Macedonians at the hands of the Ottoman Turks, Greeks, Serbs and Bulgarians was unique and in some ways nation defining.

Thank you Vic for sharing your research.
    Thank you again Risto for your comment. A Bulgarian (perhaps Greek) gave it a 3-star review calling our identity made up by Tito. I knew they would eventually discover the book and give it poor reviews simply because they deny Macedonians exist.

Here's the review:

Lots of interesting info cobbled together. But basically just another effort of a loyal Macedonian nationalist to make the case for a language and people "discovered" in the middle of the twentieth century, in the middle of Europe, by Titoist Yugoslavia to maintain their hold and counter long-held claims to shared ethnicity by Bulgarian and Western European scholars.

Comment

• Stojacanec
      • Dec 2009

Like you showed evidence in a previous post Vic, this Bulgarian is going to have a hard time explaining why people emigrating to America self identified in 1900 as Macedonians from Macedonia.

Comment

• vicsinad
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Stojacanec View Post
        Like you showed evidence in a previous post Vic, this Bulgarian is going to have a hard time explaining why people emigrating to America self identified in 1900 as Macedonians from Macedonia.
        Their response to that is: "Well, they identified as regional Macedonians."

Okay, well if they had the choice between Bulgarian, Greek, Serbian, Turkish, and Macedonian, then why didn't they choose Bulgarian?

Comment

Working...
        X