Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomovsk
    • Apr 2010

like i said in my first post, it may be a reference to the autochthonous nature of the founders of sparta.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

No problem, you also started your first post by saying "concerning the etymology of sparta", in the end Tomovsk, we are left with no Greek etymology for the word, just like several other placenames in Greece that don't have a meaning in Greek. This indicates that it was a pre-Greek word, and may therefore bear some relation to the Thracian name 'Spartacus', as the Thracian presence in the Balkans pre-dates that of the Greeks.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• tomovsk
        • Apr 2010

that was what i was leading up to. the founders of sparta were the Leleges, descendants of Lelex, who like the Spartoi, was born directly from the earth.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

Prior to the Dorian invasion, I don't think the people of that area were Hellenic in either speech or identity. Would you agree?
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• osiris
            • Sep 2008

but werent the spartans not indigenous to the area of classical sparta didnt they come as conquerors

Comment

• tomovsk
              • Apr 2010

according to the myths the achaeans were the people who inhabited that area prior to the return of the heraclids, but i have no doubt that before the achaeans the area was populated by non-hellenes. the ancient hellenes ( the real greeks ) themselves had no problem admitting the non-greek character of many founders of famous greek cities.

Comment

• osiris
                • Sep 2008

we are on the same wavelength there tomovsk

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

The 'return' of the Heraclids (who are supposed to be the Dorians) is a myth itself, as they were never there to begin with. This means that the 'Achaeans' that Homer wrote about were not of the same linguistic group as the 'Dorians', correct?

Comment

• tomovsk
                    • Apr 2010

i've read that they are dialects of greek ( along with ionic and aeolian ), but they do have their differences, as achaean is possibly the older dialect.

concerning the heraclids : the dorians were only allied to the heraclids -- heracles and his descendants were only trying to claim a perceived birthright in the peloponnese
                    Last edited by tomovsk; 05-19-2010, 01:57 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

I have not seen such suggestions corroborated thus far. Do you have anything we can refer to, a comparison of how Achaean from the Mycanaean period looks compared to Greek?

Comment

• tomovsk
                        • Apr 2010

linear b script from mycenaean times:

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Have you read the studies of Chadwick and Ventris, do their explanations of how they came to their conclusions appear sound and satisfactory to you? Can you elaborate on how they came to their conclusions?

The outcome, based on their conclusions, does that look like a proto-Greek language or a proto-Indo-European language?

By the way mate, you seem to have an interest in this topic, are you Greek?

Comment

• tomovsk
                            • Apr 2010

i'm no linguist, i don't know greek, and i speak very little macedonian.
                            i'm sure very few people truly grasp linear b, if it truly is 'greek' to begin with

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                              • Sep 2008

Are you Macedonian?

Comment

• tomovsk
                                • Apr 2010

yes, my family is macedonian on my mother's side.

Comment

Working...
                                X