Edinstveni Makedonski Zborovi - Unique Macedonian Words (postable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Дени, I understand you are a student at the moment.
    If you accept universally accepted science, I fear you are condemned to mediocrity in your future profession.

If you wish to make sense of slavic migrations, DNA studies and archaeological excavations and argue your points about them, we welcome the dialogue. But I hope, as a truly enlightened academic, you can see the holes in many assumptions that have been lumped on Macedonians.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Дени
      • May 2010

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
      I fear you are condemned to mediocrity in your future profession.
      In the 60-odd years since serious studies began on the Macedonian language, we've barely scratched the surface.

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
      you can see the holes in many assumptions that have been lumped on Macedonians.
      Most definitely, which is why we shouldn't fight fire with fire.
      Last edited by Дени; 05-19-2010, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• Вардарец
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Дени View Post
        Just to clarify: I'm not skeptical of the etymology you suggested because of any political beliefs or whatever, but simply because it doesn't take into account any historical developments or changes in phonology or morphology (among many, many other things).

You're assuming the modern бела зора is related to V/Bylazora based on their appearance in a modern script. That's pure folk etymology.

A cute story: my little nephew thought the English necessary comes from не се сери.

The complete absence of scientific method is why I reject it.

I thought I should make that clear because I didn't want to sound rude.
        You are acting like a mad man. If you are to be taken seriously, your comparison of Bylazora with Necessary is laughable at best.
        For the glory of the Hellenes! Abandon orthodoxy and join your true religion! http://www.hellenicreligion.gr/... Zeus awaits you!

Comment

• Mikail
          • Sep 2008

Who uses pampur for train?
          From the village of P’pezhani, Tashko Popov, Dimitar Popov-Skenderov and Todor Trpenov were beaten and sentenced to 12 years prison. Pavle Mevchev and Atanas Popov from Vrbeni and Boreshnica joined them in early 1927, they were soon after transferred to Kozhani and executed. As they were leaving Lerin they were heard to shout "With our death, Macedonia will not be lost. Our blood will run, but other Macedonians will rise from it"

Comment

• Дени
            • May 2010

Originally posted by Вардарец View Post
            You are acting like a mad man. If you are to be taken seriously, your comparison of Bylazora with Necessary is laughable at best.
            I'd like to see anyone confidently explain the relationship Bylazoraбела зора beyond superficial similarities. Otherwise, by the same reason, necessary is just as likely to be from не се сери or vice versa.

Comment

• Дени
              • May 2010

Originally posted by Mikail View Post
              Who uses pampur for train?
              Just a quote from The Slavic and Eastern European Journal which, annoyingly, doesn't elaborate much more than this:

It seems unlikely that Western Ukr. bambura 'big object (stick, stone)' is derived from the comparatively recent loanword bambuk 'bamboo.' Could it not have have some connections with the expressive South-East European words: Rum. abur(e), abore, Alban. avul 'steam', Bulg. pampor 'steamer; railroad,' Maced. pampur 'big iron stove or other object of iron,' which are generally connected with It. vapore 'steamer'?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Deni
                Slavic migrations are attested by historical records, DNA studies and archaeological excavations
                Show me the records that speak of a mass migration?

Show me the DNA studies?

Above all, show me the archaeological evidence?
                My views on historical linguistics are based on universally accepted science.
                No, they're based on universally 'accepted' theories, and that is your problem right there. I will respond to your earlier reply later in the day, and give you some more examples to test your 'science' on. Your 'science' won't be able to explain what I propose later, which renders it flawed.
                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• osiris
                  • Sep 2008

deni what do you think of the paleo continuity theory.

how does dna evidence prove a slavic migration when according to some dna studies there is more german than slavic in macedonia.

how many linguistic coincidences are needed before it becomes more than coincidence.

the word leto most likely was a pelasgian word, its not greek, and it may have meant summer given the relationship between appollo the sun god and that season.
                  Last edited by osiris; 05-20-2010, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• julie
                    • May 2009

Deni, I have never heard of the word pampur in Macedonian. The old man was born in RoM and mother was from Aegean Macedonia.

an iron - "pegla"
                    "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Deni
                      Tradesmen in the southwest spoke 'secret languages' (as they're usually called in Macedonian texts) amongst themselves for various reasons.

Cepenkov wrote a fictional conversation between two boot-makers from Prilep in their argot (I added the blue translation):
                      That's not a 'secret' language, it's Macedonian with some 'uncommon' or 'unknown' words to give it the appearance of a 'secret' language. Which are the Albanian words in those texts, 'arno' and 'manuka'?
                      I don't know what you mean. How is that possible?
                      Substratum is a possibility, and so is the fact that not all or even most common 'Slavic' words originate from north of the Danube.
                      I guess you could probably find some folk songs on YouTube or something like that.
                      I haven't been able to find it, perhaps you can assist given that you're the individual who made the initial statement.
                      But it is already accepted as an Albanian loan.
                      Perhaps by some, I still find it contentious.
                      You really think so? I don't see how anyone would think it was Turkish without actually knowing it was Turkish.
                      Yes I do, whereas you on the other hand rate your 'fellow' Macedonians poorly where it concerns the basic ability of knowing one's own language.
                      Think of the English-French language contact in Quebec where English speakers use French calques (and perceive them as such) while an ordinary English speaker in the US might not even guess genre to be a French loan.
                      I am pretty sure most English speakers in the US would recognise the spelling and sound of the word 'genre' as foreign to English, not a great example.
                      Not only is it possible, it's true.
                      Please elaborate, in your opinion, what did Macedonians pass on to others in the Balkans.
                      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Deni, are you still among us?

Comment

• fyrOM
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2010

Julie I don’t know enough if it is a regional thing or used more widely but my understanding of the word pampur is a pot belly stove the kind you might see in some western cowboy movies. I heard it being used in Prilep and Bitola regions From my understanding it has nothing to do with trains. It is made of iron the metal.

Another version I have heard of is a similar shaped heater which used saw dust packed tightly and lit. I don’t know if this second reference is due to the similar small round shape of the heater.

Other reference I have heard is I guess colloquial cadis kako papur as a sort of put down reference to a chain smoker who lights one cigaret with the end of his last because of the excessive smoke produced.

In any event I would disagree with the reference Deni cites as from what I have heard it specifically refers to the small size stove and not big iron stove.

Comment

• fyrOM
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Daskalot View Post
                            Ubavo Voden-Lerin, ima li poiche?
                            Daskalot I notice your post quoted above. Is this word from Prilep region or north of this particularly the ima li as the ch reference replacing kh in ima li pojche dali ima pojkhe tends to disapear south of Prilep. I have no formal education in Macedonian and only know the bit from my parents and from speaking to lots of older people.

Comment

• fyrOM
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2010

Just thought I would drop my two cents worth if it helps at all.

RTG im hardly an expert on words from RoM let alone Egej but from speaking with many older people I think the word gredam is particular to Egej and derives from the word grej as in od de grejsh meaning where to you come from in its use but grejs bit has reference to shine of the sun as in where does the sun shine from which links the meaning of direction hence its use as direction or place from.

Diabolical alal da tie I think is a corrupted form of alaf da ti e which I think is Turkish. I think the word is used in the form of blessing or to your betterment. The ala bit is the giveaway. I think it s use can be likened to as in English Good on you eg for doing that.

Makedonin I have not heard the word kinisa to mean go. The only reference I have seen it used is as depart which ofcourse you need to go to depart but although the words are similar I think depart is the correct definition as best describe by your correct definition of rip or torn from the core word kini.

Poshto I think is from the words po and shto ie by what as in by what reason do you think it such.
                              Whereas bidejki I have only heard of in the form of pri bidejki used as in because of or by way of. I think the similarity in definition is why it is some times used interoperably although I think incorrectly.

Because I do not have a formal Macedonian education I observed how older people spoke and tried to create definitions based on how would you say this in English. I don’t know how exactly to describe it to you but by example

Poshto mislish toa da e odgovorot
                              By what (reason) do you think that is the answer
                              Poshto pribidejki treba da go pomnozis ovaj broj so drugiot.
                              The by what (reason) (is) because of or by way of the need to multiply this number by the other.
                              Ie the reason being
                              This could also be poshto pribidejkhi potrebata ect
                              Also the leading poshto in the reply could be dropped off but this is like starting an answer with Because.

Also kurtule I think is escaped as apposed to free or freed oslobode similar but not the same meaning. you can see the word comes from sloboda ie freedom hence free or to free but not escape.
                              I have also heard it used as a threat as in ke te kurtulam od zhivotot but also shortened to ke te kurtulam.

Comment

• ArMakedon
                                • Aug 2010

Вежбајте малку на кирилица.
                                "The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him." — Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

Working...
                                X