X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Niko777
    • Oct 2010

BBC Visits Macedonians in both sides of the borders

A BBC Radio report, starts with asking Macedonians in Prespa on the Agreement, and Janko Bachev, then they go into Aegean Macedonia and ask Macedonians about their struggles in Greece. Then they go to Solun and ask Grkomani. Then they ask Kosta Seltsas, Greek MP of Macedonian origin, among others.

Well worth listening.

Last edited by Niko777; 09-27-2018, 06:11 PM.
  • Niko777
    • Oct 2010

Interesting is the journalist's discussion with the Greek historian:

"So the place names have been changed so that it seems that everyone in Greece was always just Greek?"

"Yes."

"In the 19th century there were as many Slav speakers as Greek speakers in what is now Greek Macedonia, but very few Greeks know that."

"Half of Greek Macedonia did not speak Greek as their mother language. That is still unknown. It was a completely closed subject out of the public sphere."

"That history isn't taught in schools or discussed in the mainstream media. It's the nation's last taboo. And the need to keep it hidden is the reason Greece has objected so strongly to the name of the small country to the north."

Most of the people do not even know their origins. They've been brought up with their parents hiding their identity, hiding their language, because there was no way of expressing it publicly

Comment

• Amphipolis
      Banned
      • Aug 2014

I listened to all of it; it's good, a typical pluralistic approach of an outsider who tries to understand and learn. Many innacuracies and mistakes here and there, but not on purpose.

The opening is hilarious; she's on the lake on the north side of the border with a local fisherman named Karafinovsky from Dubeny and she says "in all sides of the borders the houses look the same and the same Slavic language is spoken" while he (for reasons unknown) starts singing to her... in Greek.

Comment

• macorules94
        • Apr 2009

Does anyone know the song at 14 min?

Comment

• Carlin
          • Dec 2011

Thanks for sharing, I plan on listening to it.

[I don't mean to hijack the thread, but for what it's worth Serbian state tv RTS has made a 50 minute program regarding Macedonia name dispute & the Prespa agreement titled "Macedonia, more than a name". It's in Serbian, with Serbian subtitles, but there are many interviewees who are speaking in Macedonian, Greek, Serbian. Dalibor Jovanovski, Petar Todorov, Hristijan Mickoski, Mile Boshnjakovski are the Macedonian guests. Link below.]

URL:
          Uoči referenduma, 30. septembra u Makedoniji, emisija o skoro tri decenije dugom sporu Skoplja i Atine oko imena Makedonije.Da li će Sporazum, potpisan u jun...

Comment

Working...
          X