Who was the first Head of the 'greek' church?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Who was the first Head of the 'greek' church?

"...Meticulously researched...Thoroughly documented with copious footnotes, a shronology, and extensive bibliography, this work is recommended for academic libraries."—Library Journal Focusing on questions that seek to illuminate vital aspects of the Greek phenomenon, this modern history of Greece is organized around themes such as politics, institutions, society, ideology, foreign policy, geography, and culture. Making clear their predilection for the principles that inspired the founding fathers of the Greek state, Koliopoulos and Veremis juxtapose these principles to contemporary practices, and outline the resulting tensions in Greek society as it enters the new millenium. Challenging established notions and stereotypes that have disfigured Greek history, Greece: A Modern Sequel is meant to encourage a fresh look at the country and its people. In the process, a portrait of a new Greece emerges: modern, diverse, and strong.

The Church of Greece came into being in 1833 when the Bavarian regency unilaterally proclaimed, in the name of King Otto, its independence from the Patriarchate of Constantinople. By the same royal decree of July 1833 - the work of Georg von Maurer and two prominent supporters of a Greek national church, Theokletos Pharmakidis and Spyridon Trikoupis - it became autocephalous, acquired its own synod, and recognized King Otto as its head.

Greece: the modern sequel, from 1831 to the present By Giannēs Koliopoulos, Thanos Veremēs

So King Otto was the first head of the newly formed 'greek' church Of course it would be a non-"greek".
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

So what you are saying is the head of the Greek breakaway church was a German?

Actually, I am not really asking ... I just wanted to say it.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Daskalot
      • Sep 2008

All modern Greek propagandist will do this by instinct
      Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Bill77
        • Oct 2009

Great find again TM.

I will place your post in my "Greek Orthodox Church" thread if you don't mind. I wish to build up that thread and keep these gems filed in one area so it does not get lost.
        http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

Working...
        X