• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevce
    • Jan 2016

St Nicholoas Bankstown

Hi guys,

Found this interesting as this church falls under the Antiochian Archidiocese. Under the locations tab on this website in languages it comes up as Macedonian. Yet Antiochian church falls under the Greek church according to what I read.

• Momce Makedonce
    • Jul 2012

I'm a local and didn't know that this Church had services in Macedonian. Nor did I know that the Parish Priest is Macedonian, says in the link Very Reverend Father Mitko Machevski. Macedonians in Bankstown area sometimes go to this Church if our Macedonian Orthodox Church in Cabramatta is closed and need somewhere else, or some even just go here instead in general. I didn't know it was Antiochian though, I thought it was Russian Orthodox as most Macedonians refer to it as "Ruskata" Perhaps it used to be Russian and has changed to Antiochian at some point.
    "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task." Goce Delcev

Comment

• Stevce
      • Jan 2016

Hi Momche, I read up on this and it was never a Russian church. It was originally Macedonian and changed to Antiochian. I wonder how it became known as Antiochian.

Comment

• Momce Makedonce
        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Stevce View Post
        Hi Momche, I read up on this and it was never a Russian church. It was originally Macedonian and changed to Antiochian. I wonder how it became known as Antiochian.
        Can you link me where you read that?

The question about the Church was asked on a Macedonian Facebook group and a few responses said that it used to be Russian Orthodox but is now under the Antiochian Archdiocese. However the Priest is Macedonian and services are conducted in Macedonian and English. A few people also said that they attend this Church.

One of the responses said "It was established by Russians but is now affiliated with the Antiochian archdiocese- not sure of the reason.
        Father Mitko has been there over 20 years and has permission from the archdiocese to continue running services in Macedonian and English. Most of the parishioners are Macedonians with a small number of Russians."

Another said " I go to this church..because live in the area...small church but service is good..spoken in Macedonian and English...priest gives good sermons..never overcrowded and not a fashion house for the young ones..highly recommend"
        Last edited by Momce Makedonce; 03-26-2020, 09:56 AM.
        "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task." Goce Delcev

Comment

• Stevce
          • Jan 2016

Sorry Momce, I misread the article. You are right it was a Russian church.

Comment

Working...
          X