Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > Exposing Lies and Propaganda

Old 08-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #151
tchaiku

tchaiku is on a distinguished road

Manuel Erotikos Komnenos (Greek: Μανουήλ Ἐρωτικός Κομνηνός, Manouēl Erōtikos Komnēnos; 955/960 – c. 1020) was a Byzantine military leader under Basil II, and the first fully documented ancestor of the Komnenos dynasty.

Nothing is known otherwise about his life and career. According to Varzos, Manuel inherited his surname of "Komnenos" from his father, while his equally obscure mother was an unnamed lady of the Erotikos family, possibly related to the 11th-century rebel Theophilos Erotikos.

Nikephoros Komnenos

He served as governor of the Armenian region of Vaspurakan, and is one of the first known members of the Komnenos family, which came to rule the Byzantine Empire in 1081–1185.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaspurakan
tchaiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #152
tchaiku

Heraclius, born in or near Cappadocia in 575 , was the son of the patrician Heraclius, known as the "Ancient" , a senior officer of the army of the Emperor Maurice (regn. 582-602 ), of Armenian origin, And his wife Epiphania. Heraclius the Elder served for a long time in the eastern provinces, near the Persian frontier (as deputy of the magister militum per Orientem , then from about 595 as magister militum per Armeniam ).

Heraclian dynasty (610-711)

Heraclius (610–641) - ARMENIAN, born in Cappodocia, Turkey.
Constantine III (641-641) - ARMENIAN, son of Heraclius, born in Lazica, Republic of Georgia.
Heraklonas (641-641) - ARMENIAN, son of Heraclius, born in Lazica, Republic of Georgia.
Constans II (641–668) - ARMENIAN, son of Constatine III.
Mezezius (668–669) - ARMENIAN, born in Malazgirt, Turkey.
Constantine IV (668–685) - ARMENIAN, son of Constans II.
Justinian II (685–695) - ARMENIAN, son of Constatine IV.
Leontios (695–698) - ISAURIAN, born in Isauria, Turkey.
Tiberios III (698–705) - GERMAN, born in Germany, exact village or town unknown.
Justinian II (705–711) - ARMENIAN, restored.

^Those are confirmed. French Wiki is more accurate.
Read for Isaurians:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaurie

Last edited by tchaiku; 08-18-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:53 AM   #153
tchaiku

Leonid dynasty (457-518)

Leo I (457-474) - THRACIAN, born in Thrace, exact village or town unknown.
Leo II (474-474) - ISAURIAN, Son of Zeno
Zeno (474-475) - ISAURIAN, born in Isauria, Turkey.
Basiliscus (475-476) - UNKNOWN, Born in the northern Balkans, exact village or town unknown, brother-in-law of Leo I the Thracian
Zeno (476-491) - ISAURIAN, restored as emperor.
Anastasius I (491-518) - ILLYRIAN, born in Durres, Albania.

Phrygian dynasty (820-867)

Michael II(820-829) - possibly of ARMENIAN origin, Born in Amorium, Turkey, married to an Armenian
Theophilus (829-842) - ARMENIAN, son of Michael II and an Armenian mother and Armenian wife. (Theodora )
(Theodora (842-855) - ARMENIAN, born in Paphlagonia, Turkey.)
Michael III (855-867) - ARMENIAN, son of Theophilus.

Last edited by tchaiku; 08-19-2017 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:36 PM   #154
tchaiku

Paphlagonian is a regional term.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:30 AM   #155
tchaiku

2. Origin - Dynasty appearance

The oral tradition about the origin of the imperial house of Palaiologos dictates her in Italy. According to one version, the Palaiologians came from the Italian city of Viterbo (old word = vetus verbus); in another version, they were of Roman descent and arrived in Constantinople along with the great Constantine . This second variation resembles similar traditions about other Byzantine aristocratic families with aspirations in the imperial throne (eg Phocades and Doukas ): the origin from Rome and the movement to Constantinople together with its founder and emperor Megalo Konstantinos ensured glamor and somehow legitimized the imperial claims of these families. 1

In fact it seems that the Palaeologists came from Asia Minor , and indeed from the Byzantine theme of the East . 2 On the etymology of their surname, Kazhdan considers it to be a "picker", possibly indicating a humble origin, while Vannier prefers to interpret it as a "collector of ancient objects". 3 In relation to the other Byzantine aristocratic families, Palaeologists appear relatively late in the second half of the 11th century. So the first known Palaiologos - perhaps the family's originator - was Nikephoros; commander of the Mesopotamian theme probably with the title duke during the reign of Michael Z (1071-1078) actively supported Nikephoros' stance ) Botanei . On the contrary, the son of Nikephorus, George, was a supporter of the Doukas and then of Alexios I Komnenos ; his marriage to his granddaughter, John Duke, Anna, connected the Palaiologists with the families of Doukas and Komnenos and accordingly regulated and their alliances. George is referred to as the coroner and duke of Durres on Alexios I Komnenos (1081-1118).

During the 12th century Palaiologists appeared to belong to the military aristocracy and did not occupy political offices. They appeared as donors in monasteries and continued the tactics of the marriages with members of the Imperial dynasty of the Komnenoi. Their relative ties with the families of Doukas and Komnenians were highlighted by the first emperors of the Palaiologian dynasty, also signing these names, in part to promote their origins from an imperial dynasty and thus the legality of their own dynasty; later this practice was abandoned. The Palaiologos family followed Theodore A Laskaris in Nicaea , where they continued to occupy high offices (the father of the later emperor Michael II, Andronikos Palaiologos, was awarded the title of the great domestikos , probably on John C. Vatatzis , while Michael also worked as a soldier, and until 1254 he had already occupied the post of great coposta ).
Old 02-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #156
Carlin15

Carlin15 is on a distinguished road

Transactions of the Royal Society of Literature of the United Kingdom Volume 5 - Page 94
Carlin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #157
maco2envy

maco2envy is on a distinguished road

^Great find

It seems that the Slavic speakers of Macedonia and Thrace where an agricultural class even as far back to the medieval era. Sort of explains how in a few non-Slavic languages, most Slavic loanwords relate to agriculture.
maco2envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:34 AM   #158
Spirit

Spirit is on a distinguished road

Im just going to put my 2 cents worth.
As I stated in another thread, Im an avid reader and student of history, the Roman Empire and its successor The Eastern Roman Empire (The term Byzantine Empire was never the official name of the empire, it was a title bestowed by later Western European historians after its collapse in 1453) as it is part of our history as well.
The Eastern Roman Empire was never the Greek and its citizens never viewed themselves as Greek, they called themselves Romans, the only thing Greek about the Empire was that Greek was the official language throughout the Empire for administrive purposes. All citizens within the Empire considered themselves Romans regardless of their ethnicity. In fact there were islolated villages within Greece as late as early last century when encountered and asked what nationality they replied they were Romans and this is a well documented fact.
Back in the days of the Empire Western Europe referred to the Empire as the Empire of the Greeks and this was done in a derogatory manner, not as a compliment as the Eastern Romans were viewed with suspicion and were thought of as very effeminate and due to the fact that the official administrative language of the Empire was Greek in much the same way the official language of the whole Roman Roman Empire was Latin. It was only after the ascension of Heraclius in the early 600s that the official language of the Eastern Roman Empire was changed from Latin to Greek.
Most of the Eastern Roman Emperors were not Greek, a sizeable amount of them had Armenian Heritage. In fact the last Emperor Constantine Palaiologus was only a quarter Greek, the other quarter was Italian and the other whole half was Serbian. Also there is a possibility that Mehmet The Conqueror was either half Serbian or half Macedonian (see Roger Crowleys Constantinople, The Last Great Siege, 1453)
The Greek Claim that the Eastern Roman Empire was Greek is very laughable and is just more of their propaganda as there is a huge amount of documentation from various eminent historians that refute this. Granted Constantinople was founded upon the Ancient Greek city of Byzantium. The Eastern Roman Empire history does not just belong to the history of Greece, it belongs to the history of Macedonia, Serbia, etc including Russia.
The two headed eagle that was the symbol of the Eastern Roman Empire that appears on the Albanian flag, in Greek, Macedonian churches etc. I bet you that most Greeks, hell most people do not know what it symbolises. It symbolises the whole original Roman Empire, one looking west and the other looking east due to the partition of the Empire in 2 and I it also symbolised that the eastern Roman Emperor was the rightful ruler and inheritor of the whole original Roman Empir.
I could go way more in depth about this topic, as stated it is a passion of mine because it is a part of Macedonian history but Ill be sitting here for days on end writing a whole book
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:10 PM   #159
Carlin15

Carlin15 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
Im just going to put my 2 cents worth.
As I stated in another thread, Im an avid reader and student of history, the Roman Empire and its successor The Eastern Roman Empire (The term Byzantine Empire was never the official name of the empire, it was a title bestowed by later Western European historians after its collapse in 1453) as it is part of our history as well.
The Eastern Roman Empire was never the Greek and its citizens never viewed themselves as Greek, they called themselves Romans, the only thing Greek about the Empire was that Greek was the official language throughout the Empire for administrive purposes. All citizens within the Empire considered themselves Romans regardless of their ethnicity. In fact there were islolated villages within Greece as late as early last century when encountered and asked what nationality they replied they were Romans and this is a well documented fact.
Back in the days of the Empire Western Europe referred to the Empire as the Empire of the Greeks and this was done in a derogatory manner, not as a compliment as the Eastern Romans were viewed with suspicion and were thought of as very effeminate and due to the fact that the official administrative language of the Empire was Greek in much the same way the official language of the whole Roman Roman Empire was Latin. It was only after the ascension of Heraclius in the early 600s that the official language of the Eastern Roman Empire was changed from Latin to Greek.
Most of the Eastern Roman Emperors were not Greek, a sizeable amount of them had Armenian Heritage. In fact the last Emperor Constantine Palaiologus was only a quarter Greek, the other quarter was Italian and the other whole half was Serbian. Also there is a possibility that Mehmet The Conqueror was either half Serbian or half Macedonian (see Roger Crowleys Constantinople, The Last Great Siege, 1453)
The Greek Claim that the Eastern Roman Empire was Greek is very laughable and is just more of their propaganda as there is a huge amount of documentation from various eminent historians that refute this. Granted Constantinople was founded upon the Ancient Greek city of Byzantium. The Eastern Roman Empire history does not just belong to the history of Greece, it belongs to the history of Macedonia, Serbia, etc including Russia.
The two headed eagle that was the symbol of the Eastern Roman Empire that appears on the Albanian flag, in Greek, Macedonian churches etc. I bet you that most Greeks, hell most people do not know what it symbolises. It symbolises the whole original Roman Empire, one looking west and the other looking east due to the partition of the Empire in 2 and I it also symbolised that the eastern Roman Emperor was the rightful ruler and inheritor of the whole original Roman Empir.
I could go way more in depth about this topic, as stated it is a passion of mine because it is a part of Macedonian history but Ill be sitting here for days on end writing a whole book
Well put.

FYI - The Vlach origin of Comnenes:

1) The Emperor Manuel Comnene "showed a particular sympathy towards the Vlachs, people of the same race as him".
2) According to Psellos, the Comnenes were from the village of Comne, located in the Toundscha valley, near Adrianople - a region with a Vlach element.

Carlin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:46 AM   #160
Amphipolis

Amphipolis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin15 View Post
FYI - The Vlach origin of Comnenes:

1) The Emperor Manuel Comnene "showed a particular sympathy towards the Vlachs, people of the same race as him".
2) According to Psellos, the Comnenes were from the village of Comne, located in the Toundscha valley, near Adrianople - a region with a Vlach element.
I can't see the sources for [1] or [2] (I don't mean Psellos, but the info that Comne has a Vlach element).

Is this the same Comnenos that is characterized as... an ethnic-Armenian 195 times in the previous pages? Get serious you guys. Unfortunately, nothing specific is known about the origins of the first famous male of the Comnenos family.
Amphipolis is offline   Reply With Quote