• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Niko777
    • Oct 2010

Surviving and Erased Cyrillic Writing in Greek Occupied Macedonia

From the church in Z'rnovo (Kato Nevrokopi), Drama region

The letters from Old Church Slavonic (Old Macedonian) are still visible under the Greek script on the top right, and scrolls

The church plaque in Dolno Brodi (Kato Vrondou), Drama region has been erased from its Cyrillic script and replaced with a single Greek sentence.

Macedonian writing from the Greek Civil War in Drenoveni (Kranionas), Kostur Region. "Long Live Ilinden" can be seen.

Last edited by Niko777; 02-25-2011, 06:34 PM.
  • Niko777
    • Oct 2010

Zhelevo (Antartikon), Lerin Region

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

If that was all the maggots erased, it wouldn't have been so bad.
      But a century of this has driven humanity right out of the Greek identity.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

The NMacedonians would never do such a thing it's called desecration why is it they need to destroy & change things.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Niko777
          • Oct 2010

The NMacedonians would never do such a thing it's called desecration why is it they need to destroy & change things.
          Yes you are correct, there are Byzantine Iconography in Macedonia written with Greek script and none have been erased, in fact they are proudly displayed and preserved in museums and galleries. Only those who feel paranoid and guilty would hide and destroy.
          Last edited by Niko777; 02-25-2011, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• Дени
            • May 2010

I have a picture from the church St. George (11th century) in s. Gališča, Kostursko (where my great-grandfather was born).

Older pictures show this mural had a landscape in the background (typical for depictions of St. George slaying the dragon) with Cyrillic text. The picture I took last year shows a messy tricolor scheme without any text.

Apparently, this church was "restored" twice — once in 1950 and again in 1989. My uncle had taken pictures during the second "restoration" where one can clearly see the mural had been whitewashed yet again.

In 1872, a wall partially collapsed which exposed a vault of Old Church Slavonic parchment manuscripts. The-then metropolitan Nikiforos ordered they be burned.

Unfortunately this was toward the end of my stay in Kostur and my batteries died so I couldn't take closer shots. Because of the low resolution allowed on the forum, you won't be able to zoom far into the mural.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Deni, most people use photobucket.com or similar for uploading pictures. There is no size limit if you do it that way.
              It would be great to see better pictures of this church.

cheers
              Risto the Great

Comment

• Bill77
                • Oct 2009

I came across these on a house in Buff. (Its a pity Jill did not comes across them and asked the locals about it)

You can see they were painted over but the covering is starting to erode which is starting to expose what once was there. I can't quite make out the writing, mabe some of you can decipher it. I can see "1945" so it would have been around that period.

These are actual photos from video. I might download the video one day that shows the writing clearer and in context as i pan across.

Last edited by Bill77; 03-04-2011, 11:31 PM.
                http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

I think it says "Go Collingwood". Must have been Greek.
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

l find that disgusting that someone has to destroy something sacred as a church.What right have they got to do this.
                    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Daskalot
                      • Sep 2008

It is impressive to see that there are traces of our written language until this very day in the 97% pure Greek nation.
                      Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Niko777
                        • Oct 2010

Thank you for uploading those photos. If anyone has any other photos or comments please share them with us here.

Comment

• Niko777
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Дени View Post
                          I have a picture from the church St. George (11th century) in s. Gališča, Kostursko (where my great-grandfather was born).

Older pictures show this mural had a landscape in the background (typical for depictions of St. George slaying the dragon) with Cyrillic text. The picture I took last year shows a messy tricolor scheme without any text.

Apparently, this church was "restored" twice — once in 1950 and again in 1989. My uncle had taken pictures during the second "restoration" where one can clearly see the mural had been whitewashed yet again.

In 1872, a wall partially collapsed which exposed a vault of Old Church Slavonic parchment manuscripts. The-then metropolitan Nikiforos ordered they be burned.

Unfortunately this was toward the end of my stay in Kostur and my batteries died so I couldn't take closer shots. Because of the low resolution allowed on the forum, you won't be able to zoom far into the mural.

Comment

• Pelister
                            • Sep 2008

Isn't this just disgusting that our heritage and our culture can be erased by these invading 'Greeks'.

I can only think about the Macedonian artesans, Macedonian painters and designers, who painted such beautiful things on the walls of our Churches, and 'signatured' their masterwork with their own language - Macedonian.

Comment

• MacoLionHeartSun
                              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Pelister View Post
                              Isn't this just disgusting that our heritage and our culture can be erased by these invading 'Greeks'.

I can only think about the Macedonian artesans, Macedonian painters and designers, who painted such beautiful things on the walls of our Churches, and 'signatured' their masterwork with their own language - Macedonian.
                              The Greeks can not/will not erase our souls; we are Macedonians from Macedonia....

Comment

Working...
                              X