Was the Macedonian name taboo in Greece prior to the 1980s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liberator of Makedonija
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
    It didn't.
    What didn't?
    I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Amphipolis
      Banned
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
      So no place called Macedonia. Why is Greece complaining about name confusion again? Silly Greeks.
      Maybe, there's a problem with my English. Macedonia is called Macedonia. Uh, I mean this one:

Comment

• Amphipolis
        Banned
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
        What didn't?
        The name of Macedonia didn't change to Northern Greece or anything. What changed was the name of a Ministry (formerly called Administration General), but that is not related to a taboo or our whole discussion and it means nothing.

Comment

• Apr 2014

The name of Macedonia didn't change to Northern Greece or anything. What changed was the name of a Ministry (formerly called Administration General), but that is not related to a taboo or our whole discussion and it means nothing.
          I don't think it means nothing at all, it seems a pretty big deal that the administritive authority whould change the name of an entire region of a country, especially a large and newly-acquired one.

The Ministry was named Macedonia in 1912 after the Greek annexation of the region and was renamed to Northern Greece in the 1920s, the name wasn't changed again until 1988 when the ministry was renamed to Macedonia & Thrace. That's a pretty long period where administritvely the region was officialy known only as Northern Greece. I don't think that means nothing at all, that seems like a pretty big point.
          I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Niko777
            • Oct 2010

It's also worth noting that the Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Greek Orthodox Church both officially refer to Aegean Macedonia as "The New Territories" instead of "Macedonia".

Comment

• tchaiku
              • Nov 2016

You guys do realize that the Greek church used the word Macedonia before the first known Slavic script was written?

Comment

• Niko777
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by tchaiku View Post
                You guys do realize that the Greek church used the word Macedonia before the first known Slavic script was written?
                I don't understand your comment, can you be more specific? The Slavic script was invented in the 9th century. This thread is about political attitudes towards Macedonians from Macedonia's division in 1913 to the 1980s. What "Greek Church" are you referring to that existed before the 9th century and how did they use the word "Macedonia"?

Comment

• tchaiku
                  • Nov 2016

Well "Greek" as in Roman (Byzantine) Church.

Comment

• Bill77
                    • Oct 2009

Bad comparison between the Byzantine Church of the early to middle ages and Greece of 1913-1980s.

I wouldn't know where to start with your attempt to prove whatever point you are trying to make.
                    Last edited by Bill77; 04-19-2018, 06:48 PM.
                    http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Apr 2014

Can't compare the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople of the Middle Ages to the modern Greek Orthodox Church.

Either way your comments aren't relevant to this thread, we're discussing the period between 1912 and 1988, medieval history isn't necessary here.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

You do realise Macedonia was used before "Greece" ever existed as a name. Right? Take a look in a bible.
                        Risto the Great
                        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

Maybe, there's a problem with my English. Macedonia is called Macedonia. Uh, I mean this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_(Greece)
                          No problem at all. What you are saying is there is no official Government designated place as Macedonia. There is in fact West Macedonia and Central Macedonia and part of the region of East Macedonia and Thrace. Maybe Greeks are confused about all of this and should go back to New Territories or Northern Greece.
                          Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
                            It's also worth noting that the Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Greek Orthodox Church both officially refer to Aegean Macedonia as "The New Territories" instead of "Macedonia".
                            The reason is simple. The New Territories are STILL under the canonical jurisdiction of the Patriarch and NOT the Greek Orthodox Church.

Always gives me a warm feeling to remind Greeks of this.
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Amphipolis
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Liberator of Makedonija View Post
                              I don't think it means nothing at all, it seems a pretty big deal that the administritive authority whould change the name of an entire region of a country, especially a large and newly-acquired one.

The Ministry was named Macedonia in 1912 after the Greek annexation of the region and was renamed to Northern Greece in the 1920s, the name wasn't changed again until 1988 when the ministry was renamed to Macedonia & Thrace. That's a pretty long period where administritvely the region was officialy known only as Northern Greece. I don't think that means nothing at all, that seems like a pretty big point.
                              Again, it wasn't the name of the region that changed, it was the name of the Administration General (later Ministry since the 50s I believe). North Greece is not Macedonia, but Macedonia & Thrace.

There are thousands of activities out there, including public organizations, professional societies etc. Macedonia was always officially known as Macedonia, that's why the name appears in hundreds or thousands of official bodies of the above.

If the Army, or Police or IRS or Church or educational system or electrical system or lawyer association or technical chamber or football or textile association or anything have a regional unit/division of Macedonia, or a wider of Northern Greece or smaller ones (e.g. Central Macedonia) or even smaller (e.g. Thessaloniki, Kozani and Florina) it is just a matter of luck, or depends on practical matters and is not an issue of avoidance or taboo.

Comment

• Apr 2014

Again, it wasn't the name of the region that changed, it was the name of the Administration General (later Ministry since the 50s I believe). North Greece is not Macedonia, but Macedonia & Thrace.

There are thousands of activities out there, including public organizations, professional societies etc. Macedonia was always officially known as Macedonia, that's why the name appears in hundreds or thousands of official bodies of the above.

If the Army, or Police or IRS or Church or educational system or electrical system or lawyer association or technical chamber or football or textile association or anything have a regional unit/division of Macedonia, or a wider of Northern Greece or smaller ones (e.g. Central Macedonia) or even smaller (e.g. Thessaloniki, Kozani and Florina) it is just a matter of luck, or depends on practical matters and is not an issue of avoidance or taboo.

How could the region officialy be known as Macedonia when the administration responsible for the region didn't even call it it that

Comment

Working...
                                X