Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vicsinad
    • May 2011

Here's one from Montana that I did research on for the Montana book. He was buried in 1918. His gravestone (if you click on the link) says: Born in Vodena, Macedonia. His name is Christ Hlebaroff.

Since you are the resident expert on such matters I wanted to ask you something.

What is the earliest born person you know of who was buried in the US in line with what Niko is posting? He had one there from 1883 I believe.
    The earliest I've seen with a gravestone that mentions their birthdate and being born in Macedonia was in the 1870s. I don't know if I can dig that up. But there are likely some that were born earlier who have Macedonia on their graves.

Niko's right that it's impossible to determine. About 5% of Macedonians who arrived in the US before World War I were born in the 1860s or earlier. So, perhaps there are a few stragglers out there. Many Macedonians died in Montana, the Dakotas, and out West working in the mines and on the railroads. Their gravestones would be hard to come around unless someone makes it their mission to find them.

But I think Stoyon Petroff who died 1906, is one of the first Macedonians who was buried in the USA, or is the oldest grave still intact
    Many scores of Macedonians were buried in the US before Stoyan. The Macedonian colony was already flourishing in Granite City with a couple thousand Macedonians there in 1906. (Actually, some of the largest banking institutions in the State of Illinois at that time were owned by Macedonians in 1908, an indicator of how many Macedonians were in the US then, as they had a wide Macedonian clientele). I would put my money on finding one from 1902 or 1903. I'll try to find some that are still in tact!

Comment

• Gocka
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post

The earliest I've seen with a gravestone that mentions their birthdate and being born in Macedonia was in the 1870s. I don't know if I can dig that up. But there are likely some that were born earlier who have Macedonia on their graves.

Niko's right that it's impossible to determine. About 5% of Macedonians who arrived in the US before World War I were born in the 1860s or earlier. So, perhaps there are a few stragglers out there. Many Macedonians died in Montana, the Dakotas, and out West working in the mines and on the railroads. Their gravestones would be hard to come around unless someone makes it their mission to find them.

Of course it would be impossible to know of the oldest, that's why I said the oldest you know of.

That would be a hell of a road trip huh? Maybe when we retire we can go looking for gravestones in the wild west

Comment

• Niko777
        • Oct 2010

Georgi Sugarev's mother (Donka) and 3 brothers (Vangel, Hristo and Mihail) and 1 sister (Vita) are buried in the USA.

Donka

Vangel

Hristo

Mihail

Vita

Article on the Sugarev family in the USA. Hristo's family were MPO members.

Last edited by Niko777; 07-17-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Stevce
          • Jan 2016

Watch out Zoran Zaev might claim that the tombstones change to North Macedonia in stead of Macedonia. I wonder if the Greeks would claim the one written in Greek. Either way concrete proof that Tito invented a time machine.

Comment

Working...
          X