X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Starling
    • Sep 2017

The Ancient Macedonians Were not Greeks: the videos series

A series produced by Aleksandar Donski. It's 40 videos averaging around 11 minutes, with the last one posted last month. Each segment covers different historical quotes that distinguish Macedonians from Greeks.

Channel link

Part 1

You have your usuals like Strabo and Arrian but also stuff like Tatian's address to the Greeks in part 23. It also gives more detailed versions of certain accounts that are usually shortened when circulated around, despite omitted portions being relevant as well.
  • JJAskiz
    Banned
    • May 2015

Great post, I have seen some of the videos and they are awesome. The more people that share the links to these videos, the better.

Comment

• Starling
      • Sep 2017

I wish the intro animation was smoother when pausing on the images. I kept thinking my video was lagging or skipping until I realized it was supposed to move that way. I found them while trying to find some current videos about Macedonia. Later I found a gofundme for what is basically a sequel about how Macedonians aren't Bulgarians: https://www.gofundme.com/no-sharing-...-with-bulgaria

The problem with looking for videos is that a lot of them don't have subtitles, which makes them difficult to use to inform english-speakers on what Macedonians have to deal with. Pictures and footage go a long way to make people realize the reality of a situation.

Question ignored about Macedonian human rights

Aegean Macedonians

Macedonians in Bulgaria

euronews cinema - Macedonian film sparks anger in Bulgaria

Ukraine vs. Macedonia: The West's double standards

Comment

• JJAskiz
        Banned
        • May 2015

Originally posted by Starling View Post
        I wish the intro animation was smoother when pausing on the images. I kept thinking my video was lagging or skipping until I realized it was supposed to move that way. I found them while trying to find some current videos about Macedonia. Later I found a gofundme for what is basically a sequel about how Macedonians aren't Bulgarians: https://www.gofundme.com/no-sharing-...-with-bulgaria

The problem with looking for videos is that a lot of them don't have subtitles, which makes them difficult to use to inform english-speakers on what Macedonians have to deal with. Pictures and footage go a long way to make people realize the reality of a situation.

Question ignored about Macedonian human rights

Aegean Macedonians

Macedonians in Bulgaria

euronews cinema - Macedonian film sparks anger in Bulgaria

Ukraine vs. Macedonia: The West's double standards
        Yeah, I agree that they need to find young Macedonians that are good at making videos on YouTube and help them out editing their YouTube videos to make it better. The YouTube videos are in English so they don't really need subtitles unless they speak in Macedonian, then it would need subtitles for translation for the English Speakers. Also YouTube has a Closed Caption button for subtitles for YouTube videos but the problem is that it does not translate words in Macedonian to English when someone speaks Macedonian in a YouTube video which would be a problem for English speakers like you mentioned before. And everything for me is clear except some pictures that are kind of blurry but that is due to the sucky quality pictures they put in the YouTube videos and is probably why they look bad when paused or you can always try changing the viewing quality of the YouTube video from SD to HD and see if that works. And as for the Go Fund Me Page, I have already signed it like many of the other ones like this I have signed too.

😀

Comment

• Starling
          • Sep 2017

Well a lot of them look dated because it's old footage from the 90s, sometimes recorded from a camera on a tv because recording tv wasn't really a common thing yet. The graphic quality available in a video can only go as high as the quality of the video as originally uploaded and the higher options are relatively recent. Cutting out the unrelated videos, it didn't take me that long to scroll through my video search when I filtered for content made in the last year.

The main problem with the production quality of the average video made by Macedonians is that they tend to be text on a screen with music that may or may not come across as excessive in some way. Swapping the music for a verbal explanation with the text as subtitles would make it far more accessible and more likely to get around. Another thing that would help given the usual topics would be to provide sources and citations in the description.

As for youtube's closed captioning, autogenerated captions tend to be hilariously bad. You can submit captions for approval by the video owner but only if they enabled that feature. Basically if you click subtitles and see the option available, might as well add what you know. If captions are already present for that particular language, you're invited to review it instead. I think the options offered depend on your language settings as well.

Successful youtubers network with each other and regularly collaborate on content or bring attention to the other's work. The same applies to other forms of online content, such as websites. So basically we should network and collaborate on projects such as making a youtube channel, improving the site, etc.

Adding english subtitles would also help Macedonians who weren't taught Macedonian to pick up words more easily by hearing the language spoken while knowing what they mean.

Comment

• Amphipolis
            Banned
            • Aug 2014

Feel free to show us ANYTHING new or interesting in these too-long-for-too-little video texts, that we haven't extensively discussed in this forum.

Episode One is devoted to Arrian, but it’s content is no longer than two paragraphs even though it takes more than 10 minutes. The translation “old racial rivalry” has been discussed here (2 or 3 pages of discussion)

Source: Time Magazine, Monday, Oct. 12, 1953. The TRUTH will be known!

Comment

• Starling
              • Sep 2017

I'm fully aware that some of those quotes have already been discussed. No need to be patronizing about it. We also already discussed issues regarding average quality of videos about Macedonia.

The thing is I can't be expected to know if every single quote mentioned has already been covered in a thread. Also the existence of the video series may have been new information, on top of general discussion about how to improve the dispensing of this information in various forms of media, in this case videos. I kinda get the impression they were aired on tv before getting uploaded on that channel.

Additionally the existence of a video compilation of narrated quotes is itself worth noting even if the content's already been discussed. Sometimes quoting walls of text at people or getting them to click your links and scroll to the part you cited won't appeal to people as much as having it narrated, so being able to link a video can be helpful.

Comment

Working...
              X