Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Wikipedia is good for an immediate reference or stepping stone - and that's about it. Most of their articles are inaccurate and manipulated. It is always best to go to the actual sources rather than read some dribble by a handful of clowns. Having said that, there are some well written articles on Wikipedia, but they are few and far between the idiotic equivalents.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Bill77
      • Oct 2009

Som, i have searched the web regarding Wikipedia and i will quote some things i found which should be a concern. Yes you are correct, there are some well written articles on Wikipedia. But this is my biggest problem i have with Wikipedia.

Wikipedia has a massive, unearned influence on society. One reason is that Search engines rank their pages near the top almost every time. Now by having any Tom Dick or Harry's to write anything they want about any subject and ability to change information at a click of a mouse to suit their agenda, is an injustice to true history.

I read a comment somewhere that it was written "The Terracotta Army was (also known as the Personal Army of Jackie Chan)..."
      It has been removed since, but how many other jokes and misinformation has flown under the raider. Society must stop taking Wikipedia seriously.

Another problem is that most of the administrators at Wikipedia prefer to exercise their police functions anonymously. The process itself is open, but the identities of the administrators are usually cloaked behind a username and a Gmail address. (Gmail does not show an originating IP address in the email headers, which means that you cannot geolocate the originator, or even know whether one administrator is really a different person than another administrator.) If an admin has a political or personal agenda, he can do a fair amount of damage with the special editing tools available to him.

From Wikipedia, the material is spread like a virus by search engines and other scrapers, and the damage is amplified by orders of magnitude. There is no recourse for the victim, and no one can be held accountable. Once it's all over the web, no one has the power to put it back into the bottle.
      http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
        • Jan 2009

We also have another thread on Wikipedia

Wikipedia - false information
        Sites such as Wikipedia have always been susceptible to vandalism and the spread of false information by individuals or groups with a vested interest. false or inaccurate information that is spread deliberately. It is synonymous with and sometimes called Black propaganda. It may include the distribution of forged documents,

Maybe we should merge the two into one...?
        The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• Bill77
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by The LION will ROAR View Post
          We also have another thread on Wikipedia

Wikipedia - false information
          http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...ead.php?t=4512
          Thanks Batka.

Admins can you please merge this thread with the original. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I searched for a wiki thread but all i received was lists of posts where "Wikipedia" was mentioned and that word is like a virus in here.

Comment

• cultea
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
            well search the word "Wikipedia" in this forum, a huge majority of posts come from members such as Voltron, cultea, Agamoi Thytai, and the king of them all, the late MR Wiki (Thessa). I just wish i had a dollar each time these blokes posted a wiki link, i would have enough money to bail Greece out (not that i would do it) lol.
            Voltron and Agamoi Thytai are Greeks, but I haven't noticed they often quote wikipedia.
            The late Thessalo-niki... is me!

The wikipedia article on Tesla's ancestry seems to be excellent (unless I'm missing something).

Born an ethnic Serb in the village of Smiljan (now part of Gospić), in the Croatian Military Frontier of the Austrian Empire (modern-day Croatia), Tesla was a subject of the Austrian Empire by birth and later became an American citizen.

Tesla was born to Serbian parents in the village of Smiljan, Austrian Empire near the town of Gospić, in the territory of modern-day Croatia. His baptismal certificate reports that he was born on 28 June (N.S. 10 July), 1856, to Father Milutin Tesla, a priest in the Serbian Orthodox Church. His paternal origin is thought to be either of one of the local Serb clans in the Tara valley or from the Herzegovinian noble Pavle Orlović. His mother, Đuka, daughter of a Serbian Orthodox Church priest, came from a family domiciled in Lika and Banija, but with deeper origins to Kosovo. She was talented in making home craft tools and memorized many Serbian epic poems, but never learned to read.

Comment

• Bill77
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by cultea View Post
              The wikipedia article on Tesla's ancestry seems to be excellent (unless I'm missing something).
              Yes a brain.

This is what i clearly wrote about the article. Nothing to do with how its written. But how many times its written.

Wikipedia wars: 10 biggest edit battles

Number one is, Nikola Tesla: The Origins-of-the-Scientist War

The eccentric Nikola Tesla was one of the most brilliant inventors of the nineteenth century. Perhaps most notably, he invented alternating current and helped perfect the designs of the radio and the telephone. His life was marked by famous feuds with the likes of Thomas Edison and Guglielmo Marconi (the inventor of radio). So what should spark an edit war?

Why, endless debate over how to refer to Tesla's nationality, of course. Serbia, Croatia, Austria, and Austria-Hungary (among others) all have decent claims to being Tesla's nation of origin, and all of them have proponents that regularly edit the page.

Comment

• Delodephius
                • Sep 2008

I never really understood what the problem of Tesla's origin was.
                अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
                उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
                This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
                But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• Niko777
                  • Oct 2010

Wikipedia has updated the article of "North Macedonia"

Greek editors however, have made sure that the word "FYROM" still remains in the first two paragraphs, in bold font. Nowhere in the article does it mention that the name "North Macedonia" was derived from the country being in the northern part of the wider Macedonian region.

Comment

• maco2envy
                    • Jan 2015

On topic of wikipedia and its bs, here are the updated naming conventions for Macedonia,

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

I've never seen such bullshit in my life. The logic is so flawed. I can't even believe people are debating this. But North Macedonians will continue to entertain this crap because they invite it
                      Risto the Great
                      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Niko777
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                        I've never seen such bullshit in my life. The logic is so flawed.
                        And yet, 9/10 people who want to "know more" about Macedonia will get their information from this website

Comment

• maco2envy
                          • Jan 2015

I just saw that the wikipedia page for the Macedonian Language went under a large revamp and plenty of the bullshit that has plague it for years is now gone - with the main focus of the article being the linguistics of the language rather than the politics that surrounds it. The large and positive change received little opposition, only from that of Jingiby and a few fellow bulgarian editors.

I also saw that there was recently a major consensus between editors for the page of North Macedonia to explicitly state (in the first line) the name of the country was Macedonia before 2019 - this again received opposition from Jingiby and Greek editors but they were the minority.

There are definitely positive changes sweeping through wikipedia as the ugly Balkan shenanigans are becoming more unacceptable across the wider community. Don't get me wrong, the North Macedonia reference is still everywhere for post 2019 context (but the rules go by using the constitutional name of the country at the time - which since 2019 the regime has changed), VMRO, many medieval-20th century Macedonia articles are monopolised by Jingby & Co, ancient Macedonia articles are monopolised by Greek editors - but as long you have valid sources your edits should be met with little opposition. Editors with opposing views is why wikipedia tends to sound contradictory at times.

I would probably encourage trying to preserve the information presented in this forum on wikipedia (as most of it is from credible sources). As mentioned, wikipedia is becoming a go-to for people whom seek knowledge on topics and unfortunately the number of Macedonian editors has diminished over time. It sure beats information being lost in this forum or trash like Quora where the same racist Greeks answer their own questions. The only issue with wikipedia is that it requires you policing your edits and other construstive edits via watchlists, especially on less-popular articles.

Comment

• dave_petro
                            • Jan 2020

At the end of the day, the sources and citations are what people should look at but I don't think many do.

A classic example for me has always been the VMRO pages on Wikipedia when discussing the revolutionaries. ALL of the Macedonian revolutionaries are 'Bulgarian;, according to Wiki. Pictures and so forth are heavily edited. Half of the sources used are by Dimitar Bechev and other pro-Bulgars, it's honestly ridiculous.

As long as there are fat, unemployed Bulgarian keyboard warriors with nothing to do but sit around and wage an edit war, this will always be the case.
                            'Nothing is impossible to him who will try"

Comment

Working...
                            X