X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

In relation to the previous post.

There is a great misconception regarding the above term, its use and meaning during history. When did it get national, ethnic, etc?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgari...my_of_Sciences

As Bulgaria was under Ottoman occupation, Bulgarian émigrés founded the Bulgarian Literary Society on 26 September 1869, in Brăila, the Kingdom of Romania. The first Statutes accepted were:

Board of Trustees

Nikolai Tsenov – President
    Vasilaki Mihailidi
    Petraki Simov
    Kostaki Popovich
    Stefan Beron
    Acting members:

Marin Drinov (1838-1906) – Chairman
    Vasil Drumev (1840-1901) – Member
    Vasil D. Stoyanov (1839-1910) – Secretary
    The following year, the Literary Society began issuing the Periodical Journal, its official publication, and in 1871 elected its first honorary member - Gavril Krastevich.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Rogi
      • Sep 2008

Krastevich.... sounds like "Krasta" (the skin disease). A lot of old people still use the expression "Krasta da te (ne) jadi".

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

Puli da ne fatish nekoj krasta .... was the typical mantra from my Baba before heading out on a Friday evening as a lad about town.

ha ha
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

The standardised surnames we see in the Balkans today were virtually non-existent prior to the 19th century, none appear to be common among the peasantry, instead the name of the father was generally used as a surname.
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
            The standardised surnames we see in the Balkans today were virtually non-existent prior to the 19th century, none appear to be common among of the peasantry, instead the name of the father was generally used as a surname.
            Totally agree.
            I am even dubious of any suffix ending whatsoever.
            Risto the Great

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
              This is very informative SoM. I wonder how many more Bulgarians at that time had ich last names?
              Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
                This is very informative SoM. I wonder how many more Bulgarians at that time had ich last names?
                Not sure TM, but your earlier post about the term 'serb' meaning an intellectual during stages of Ottoman occupation seems to fit in quite well with these 'Bulgarian' forefathers and their Greco-Serb names.

At some point all Slavic-speakers in the Balkans looked towards Russia as the 'light', and in the spirit of the first modern Slavic state created in the Balkans from the ashes of formerly Ottoman-occupied territory, the forefather's of the newly emerging Bulgarian nation looked towards the Serbs also in the cultural sense.

The xenophobes and propagandist hadn't quite fully risen their heads yet, making such actions appear quite normal and not at all unusual. Of course when Macedonia's turn came, all of a sudden 'ich' and 'ov' were claimed to be exclusively Serbian and Bulgarian. The two states began criminally appropriating everything in Macedonia for themselves, and conveniently erasing and/or forgetting their recently humble pasts.

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

Guys Re serbs,
                  Apparrently Serbs & croats have come from persi Or iran 1000 years ago.
                  george s
                  "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

There is no such thing as serbian language or croat it is simply macedonian with an accent!!!
                    George S.
                    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

Guys,
                      Macedonian Language & alphabet Predates all other phonetic alphabets.The macedonian alphabet had 36 letters where the drived ones like greek have 24 letters.
                      They have found in caves in france prehistoric letters in caves that are 25,000 years old.
                      Also in other areas such as the danube they have found letters as old as 50,000 years
                      old.Note Greeks came from africa 3000 years ago.The macedonians were in macedonia before time itself.
                      George S.
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

Guys,
                        In modern times the word slavic is actually used as a derogotary term to say that the real macedonians a greek??The ones that have slavic influence eg slav macedonian are nothing.
                        The truth is both macedonia & greece had similar invasions of slavs in the 6 th century.The slaves were illitirate hordes who adopted the macedonian alphabet & were
                        assimilated.At no point as greece lies were the macedonians destroyed.The macedonian nation is the only european country that has a continuous unbroken history traceable to
                        at least 50000 years.!!!
                        Also current theories say that the slavs were similar to the the macedonian people & are
                        intertwined with brygian,veneti theories.A lot of the old slavic words going back thousands of years are similar to Ancient macedonian.For example the word Slov,
                        Slovo is actually the word word.There are other examples .
                        The Greek claims to Macedonia are actually laim that is they do not stand the test of time.Also greeks claim to have historical rights to macedonian symbols& the macedonian identity.Answer they don't as macedonian & greek are two different identities.
                        George S.
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                          There is no such thing as serbian language or croat it is simply macedonian with an accent!!!
                          George S.
                          George,
                          What an ignorant thing to say.

Welcome ... I think.
                          Risto the Great

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

George, it is likely that the tribes that originally carried the names Croat and Serb were of Iranian origin. The language they adopted as they were settling in their current dwellings was related to the language of the Macedonians, but it was not Macedonian per se.

As for the 25,000 year old letters in caves, I find it dubious, at least from what I have seen thus far, I am not convinced. There is a thread related to the topic (Vasil Iljov inscriptions), if you wish to post your thoughts on the matter it is probably best you do it there so we can keep this thread on track.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                              • Jan 2009

Another Bulgarian with a last name ending in 'ich' is Atanas Nekovich. I am sure there are plenty more as well.
                              Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

The below thread also has some relevance to the topic.

Comment

Working...
                                X