Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlin
    • Dec 2011

Additional findings on the Pre-Greek "barbarian" inhabitants of Greece (Pelasgia).

These pages deal mostly with Leleges, but Pelasgians are also mentioned. Leleges were closely related to the Carians, and some thought that they were actually identical. Since the history and origin of Pelasgians is shrouded in mystery, some have even postulated that Leleges were Pelasgians of old (..as Leleges inhabited many regions of mainland Greece).

"Both" Pelasgians and Carians (and/or Leleges) spoke non-Greek languages. There were Carian inscriptions found in Athens and close to Salonika, which made it pretty clear that the Carian language was completely distinct from ancient Hellenic. Is this the old Pelasgic language?

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

Hey carlin i read somewhere the pelasgians were a macedonian tribe.As you pointed out their language was pregreek & not the same as greek.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• momce
        Banned
        • Oct 2012

I can see why greeks are confused. They just alter the names of everything and say its greek. Illyrians, Thracians all greeks hahaha. Its a real trait of dishonesty that seems to run in their gene pool.

Comment

• Carlin
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by George S. View Post
          Hey carlin i read somewhere the pelasgians were a macedonian tribe.As you pointed out their language was pregreek & not the same as greek.
          George Grote, A History of Greece: from the earliest period to the close of the generation ...

Pages 266 to 268:

"Confining myself to historical evidence and believing that no assured results can be derived from the attempt to transform legend into history, I accept the statement of Herodotus with confidence as to the barbaric language spoken by the Pelasgians of his day, and I believe the same with regard to the historical Leleges - but without presuming to determine anything in regard to the legendary Pelasgians and Leleges, the supposed ante-Hellenic inhabitants of Greece. And I think this course more consonant to the laws of historical inquiry than that which comes recommended by the high authority of Dr. Thirlwall, who softens and explains away the statement of Herodotus until it is made to mean only that the Pelasgians of Plakia and Kreston spoke a very bad Greek. The affirmation of Herodotus is distinct, and twice repeated, that the Pelasgians of these towns and of his own time spoke a barbaric language; and that word appears to me to admit of but one interpretation. To suppose that a man who, like Herodotus, had heard almost every variety of Greek, in the course of his long travels, as well as Egyptian, Phoenician, Assyrian, Lydian, and other languages, did not know how to distinguish bad Hellenic from non-Hellenic, is in my judgement inadmissible; at any rate the supposition is not to be adopted without more cogent evidence than any which is here found."

Comment

• Carlin
            • Dec 2011

URL:

The Pelasgians in the Islands of the Aegean.

Homer (Hom. Od. 19.175-177) mentions the Pelasgi (called δῖοι, as one of the five tribes in Crete, the remaining four being the Achaeans, Eteocretes, Cydones, and Dorians (called τριχάϊκες). See Strabo's comment on this passage (v. p. 221), and x. pp. 475, 476), where two different explanations of the epithet τριχάϊκες are given.
            Herodotus (2.51) speaks of Pelasgi living in Samothrace, where they performed the mysteries called Samothracian orgies.

Lemnos and Imbros were also inhabited by them (5.26). So also Strabo (v. p.221), quoting Anticleides. Thucydides (4.109) speaks of the Tyrrheni Pelasgi, who occupied Lemnos; and Pausania [p. 2.563](7.2.2) says the Pelasgians drove out the Minyans and Lacedaemonians from Lemnos. The perpetrators of the Lemnian massacre were Pelasgians. (Hdt. 6.138-140 ; compare Pind. Pyth. Od. 4.448 [252, Bkh.]; Orph. Arg. 5.470; Stanley, Comm. in Aesch. Choëph. 631.)

Herodotus also reckons the inhabitants of seventeen islands on the coast of Asia as belonging to the Pelasgian race (7.95). According to Strabo (xiii. p.621) Menecrates declared the whole coast of Ionia, beginning at Mycale, to be peopled by Pelasgi, and the neighbouring islands likewise: “and the Lesbians say they were under the command of Pylaeus, who was called by the poet the leader of the Pelasgi, and from whom their mountain was called Pylaeum. And the Chians say their founders were Pelasgi from Thessaly.”

Dionysius (1.18) says that the first Pelasgian colony was led by Macar to Lesbos, after the Pelasgi had been driven out of Thessaly.

Diodorus Siculus (5.81) gives a different account of this colony. He says that Xanthus, the son of Triopus, chief of the Pelasgi from Argos, settled first in Lycia, and afterwards crossed over with his followers into Lesbos, which he found unoccupied, and divided among them. This was seven generations before the flood of Deucalion. When this occurred Lesbos was desolated, and Macareus, grandson of Zeus (according to Hesiod), occupied it a second time, and the island received its name from his son-in-law. Scymnos of Chios (quoted by Kruse, Hellas) speaks of Pelasgians being in Sciathos and Scyros.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

and the Lesbians say they were under the command of Pylaeus
              I think I've seen that one online.

... as he shuffles backwards out of here
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Karposh
                • Aug 2015

Yep, that's Greece for you...Just a place full of cretans & lesbians.

BTW, the makers of Wonder Woman missed a golden opportunity to make the island of Lesbos her place of origin instead of that mythical island of Themyscira. Actually, I'm sure there's a version of that Wonder Woman somewhere online as well and, no doubt, you've seen that version too RtG, I'm guessing

Comment

Working...
                X