• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Areianos
    Banned
    • Sep 2008

Treaty of Bucharest, any questions?

TREATY OF BUCHAREST Bucharest, July 28/ August 10, 1913

Peace Treaty between Roumania, Greece, Montenegro, Serbia and Bulgaria.

THEIR MAJESTIES the King of Roumania, the King of the Hellenes, the King of Montenegro, and the King of Serbia, on the one part, and His Majesty the King of the Bulgarians, on the other part, animated by the desire to put an end to the state of war at present existing between their respective countries and wishing, for the sake of order, to establish peace between their long-suffering peoples, have resolved to conclude a definitive treaty of peace. Their said Majesties have, therefore, appointed as their plenipotentiaries, namely:

His Majesty the King of Roumania: His Excellency Titus Maioresco, President of his Council of Ministers, Minister of Foreign Affairs; His Excellency Alexander Marghiloman, his Minister of Finance; His Excellency Take Jonesco, his Minister of the Interior; His Excellency Constantin G. Dissesco, his Minister of Public Worship and Public Instruction; Major-General C. Coanda, Aide-de-camp, Inspector-General of Artillery; Colonel C. Christesco, Assistant Chief of the General Staff of his Army;

His Majesty the King of the Hellenes: His Excellency Elefterios Venizelos, President of his Council of Ministers, Minister of War; His Excellency Demetre Panas, Minister Plenipoten- tiary; M. Nicolas Politis, Professor of International Law in the University of Paris; Captain Ath. Exadactylos; Captain C. Pali;

His Majesty the King of Montenegro: His Excellency General Serdar Yanko Voukotitch, President of his Council of Ministers, Minister of War; M. Jean Matanovitch, formerly Charge d'Affaires of Montenegro at Constantinople;

His Majesty the King of Serbia: His Excellency Nicolas P. Pasitch, President of his Council of Ministers, Minister of Foreign Affairs; His Excellency Milhailo G. Ristitch, his Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary at Bucharest; His Excellency Dr. Miroslaw Spalaikovitch, Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary; Colonel K. Smilianitch; Lieutenant-Colonel D. Kalafatovitch;

His Majesty the King of the Bulgarians: His Excellency Dimitri Tontcheff, his Minister of Finances; Major-General Ivan Fitcheff, Chief of Staff of his Army; M. Sawa Ivantchoff, Doctor of Laws, formerly Vice-President of the Sobranje; M. Simeon Radeff; Lieutenant-Colonel Constantin Stancioff of the General Staff;

Who, in accordance with the proposal of the Royal Government of Roumania, have assembled in conference at Bucharest, with full powers, which were found to be in good and due form, and who having happily reached an accord, have agreed upon the following stipulations:-

I.

From the day on which the ratifications of the present treaty are exchanged there shall be peace and amity between His Majesty the King of Roumania, His Majesty the King of the Bulgarians, His Majesty the King of the Hellenes, His Majesty the King of Montenegro, and His Majesty the King of Serbia, as well as between their heirs and successors, their respective States and subjects.

II.

The former frontier between the Kingdom of Bulgaria and the Kingdom of Roumania, from the Danube to the Black Sea, is, in conformity with the proces-verbal drawn up by the respective military delegates and annexed to Protocol No.5 of July 22 (August 4), 1913, of the Conference of Bucharest, rectified in the following manner:-

The new frontier shall begin at the Danube above Turtukaia and terminate at the Black Sea to the south of Ekrene.

Between these two extreme points the frontier line shall follow the line indicated on the I/ 100,000 and I/200,000 maps of the Roumanian General Staff, and according to the description annexed to the present article.

It is formally understood that within a maximum delay of two years Bulgaria shall dismantle the existing fortifications and shall not construct others at Rustchuk, at Shumla, in the intervening country, and in a zone of twenty kilometres around Baltchik.

A mixed commission, composed of an equal number of representatives of each of the two High Contracting Parties, shall be charged, within fifteen days from the signing of the present treaty, with delimiting the new frontier in conformity with the preceding stipulations. This commission shall supervise the division of the lands and funds which up to the present time may have belonged in common to districts, communes, or communities separated by the new frontier. In case of disagreement as to the line or as to the method of marking it, the two High Contracting Parties agree to request a friendly Government to appoint an arbitrator, whose decision upon the points at issue shall be considered final.

III.

The frontier between the Kingdom of Bulgaria and the Kingdom of Serbia shall follow, conformably to the proces-verbal drawn up by the respective military delegates, which is annexed to Protocol No.9 of July 25 (August 7), 1913, of the Conference of Bucharest, the following line:-

The frontier line shall begin at the old frontier, from the summit of Patarica, follow the old Turco-Bulgarian frontier and the dividing line of the waters between the Vardar and the Struma, with the exception of the upper valley of the Strumitza, which shall remain Serbian territory; the line shall terminate at the Belasica Mountain, where it will bend back to the Greco-Bulgarian frontier. A detailed description of this frontier and the I/200,000 map of the Austrian General Staff, on which it is indicated, are annexed to the present article. A mixed commission, composed of an equal number of representatives of each of the two High Contracting Powers, shall be charged, within fifteen days from the signing of the present treaty, with delimiting the new frontier, in conformity with the preceding stipulation. This commission shall supervise the division of the lands and funds, which up to the present time may have belonged in common to the districts, communes, or communities separated by the new frontier. In case of disagreement as to the line or as to the method of marking it, the two High Contracting Parties agree to request a friendly Government to appoint an arbitrator, whose decision upon the points at issue shall be considered final.

IV.

Questions relating to the old Serbo-Bulgarian frontier shall be settled according to the understanding reached by the two High Contracting Parties, as stated in the protocol annexed to the present article.

V.

The frontier between the Kingdom of Greece and the Kingdom of Bulgaria shall follow, conformably to the proces-verbal drawn up by the respective military delegates and annexed to Protocol No.9 of July 25 (August 7), 1913, of the Conference of Bucharest, the following line:- The frontier line shall start from the new Serbo-Bulgarian frontier on the summit of Belasica Planina and terminate at the mouth of the Mesta on the Aegean Sea.

Between these two extreme points the frontier line shall follow the line indicated on the I/200,000 map of the Austrian General Staff, in accordance with the description annexed to the present article.

A mixed commission, composed of an equal number of representatives of each of the two High Contracting Parties, shall be charged, within fifteen days from the signing of the present treaty, with delimiting the frontier in conformity with the preceding stipulations. This commission shall supervise the division of the lands and funds, which up to the present time may have belonged in common to the districts, communes, or communities separated by the new frontier. In case of disagreement as to the line or as to the method of marking it, the two High Contracting Parties engage to request a friendly Government to appoint an arbitrator, whose decision upon the points at issue shall be considered final.

It is formally understood that Bulgaria renounces from henceforth all claim to the island of Crete.

VI.

The headquarters of the respective armies shall be immediately informed of the signing of the present treaty. The Bulgarian Government engages to begin to reduce its army to a peace footing on the day after such notification. It shall order its troops to their garrisons, whence, with the least possible delay, the various reserves shall be returned to their homes. If the garrison of any troops is situated in the zone occupied by the army of one of the High Contracting Parties, such troops shall be ordered to some other point in the old Bulgarian territory and may not return to their regular garrisons until after the evacuation of the above- mentioned occupied zone.

VII.

The evacuation of Bulgarian territory, both old and new, shall begin immediately after the demobilization of the Bulgarian army and shall be completed within a period of not more than fifteen days.

During this period the zone of demarcation for the Roumanian army of operations shall be determined by a line running as follows: Sistov-Lovcea-Turski-Isvor-Glozene-Zlatitza- Mirkov0-Araba-Konak-Orchania-Mezdra-Vratza-Berkovitza-Lom-Danube.

VIII.

During the occupation of the Bulgarian territories the various armies shall retain the right of requisition in consideration of cash payment.

Such armies shall have free use of the railways for the transportation of troops and of provisions of all kinds, without compensation to the local authority. The sick and wounded shall be under the protection of the said armies.

IX.

As soon as possible after the exchange of ratifications of the present treaty all prisoners of war shall be mutually restored.

The Governments of the High Contracting Parties shall each appoint special commissioners to receive the prisoners.

All prisoners in the hands of any of the Governments shall be delivered to the commissioner of the Government to which they belong, or to his duly authorized representative, at the place which shall be determined upon by the interested parties.

The Governments of the High Contracting Parties shall present to each other, respectively, as soon as possible after all the prisoners have been returned, a statement of the direct expenses incurred through the care and maintenance of the prisoners from the date of their capture or surrender to the date of their death or return. The sums due by Bulgaria to each one of the other High Contracting Parties shall be set off against the sums due by each of the other High Contracting Parties to Bulgaria, and the difference shall be paid to the creditor Government in each case as soon as possible after the exchange of the above-mentioned statements of expense.

X.

The present treaty shall be ratified, and the ratifications thereof shall be exchanged at Bucharest within fifteen days, or sooner if it be possible.

In witness whereof the respective plenipotentiaries have hereunto affixed their names and seals.

Done at Bucharest the twenty-eighth day of the month of July (tenth day of the month of August) in the year one thousand nine hundred and thirteen.
  • Petros Houhoulis
    Banned
    • Sep 2008

I think that they know already that it doesn't expire and that it has been violated many times in the past.

They'll bomb you with the annexes...

Comment

• Areianos
      Banned
      • Sep 2008

It's quite difficult to justify annexation theories when they don't have a representative nor signatory in this treaty.

Comment

• Petros Houhoulis
        Banned
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Areianos View Post
        It's quite difficult to justify annexation theories when they don't have a representative nor signatory in this treaty.
        No, I mean the annexes of the treaty that speak for the protection of minorities e.t.c.

Comment

• Pelister
          • Sep 2008

The invasion of Macedonia, and its partition were illegal. One occupier was replaced by another (or four as the case may be). The Macedonians were never free from colonial empires, and greedy fkn neighbours.

The Macedonians are not signatories, despite mass uprising against the Ottomans, throughout the 1870, 1880's, 1890's and 1900's.

Comment

• Areianos
            Banned
            • Sep 2008

Can you be more precise on how it was illegal?

Who did Greece take Macedonia from and how?

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Who did Greece take Macedonia from and how?
              Who was Greece given part of Macedonia from and how.
              Your choice of wording is unfortunate.
              Think about it.
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• toothpaste
                Banned
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                Who was Greece given part of Macedonia from and how.
                Your choice of wording is unfortunate.
                Think about it.
                1st Balcan war -Greece defeats Ottoman empire.
                2nd Balcan war -Greece defeats Bulgaria.
                1917-18
                WW I -Greece defeats Bulgaria

Is it clear enough ?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Had the right team backing them.
                  Given to them.
                  Clear?
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• Areianos
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2008

Well the statement does say we illegally took Macedonia.

How is it illegal on what grounds?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

No, it is very legal.
                      So is chopping off the right hand for thieves in Muslim caliphates.
                      It does not mean it is right.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Areianos
                        Banned
                        • Sep 2008

I asked you a valid question, how was it illegal.

I see you are unable to muster an explanation. I have come to the conclusion you do ot have one.

Have fun in your forum patting yourselves on the back and living off your own nationalistic dementia.

Good Bye.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

I asked you a valid question, how was it illegal.

I see you are unable to muster an explanation. I have come to the conclusion you do ot have one.

Have fun in your forum patting yourselves on the back and living off your own nationalistic dementia.

Good Bye.
                          I said it was legal.
                          I personally never said it was illegal.
                          How else can I help you?
                          Risto the Great

Comment

• Coolski
                            • Sep 2008

I have scanned across available versions of the treaty on the internet, and yes none of them mention expiry etc.

I do however have a question about the treaty as it exists on the web. Is the text version which is circulated on the web, an exact version of the original? Has anything been left out?

Where is the original held, in Paris i believe.
                            - Секој чоек и нација има можност да успеат колку шо си дозволуваат. Нема изговор.
                            - Every human and nation has the ability to be as great or as weak as they allow themselves to be. No excuses.

Comment

• Makedonia
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                              No, it is very legal.
                              So is chopping off the right hand for thieves in Muslim caliphates.
                              It does not mean it is right.
                              To the victor the spoils Risto. Always was, always will be. Unfortunately for your people, they were not the victors.
                              Your answer of not being right sounds like sour grapes.

Comment

Working...
                              X