• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill77
    • Oct 2009

Secret shrine shared by Muslims and Christians

What a lovely article.

Up 240 steps, behind a padlocked wooden door, is a shrine holy to both Christian and Muslim believers.

It is not well known. Wary of flocks of tourists, the people in Makedonski Brod, in south-western Macedonia, have kept its existence a well-guarded secret for years.

The aged building, marked only by a cross from outside, is decorated within by Christian icons, and portraits of both Jesus Christ and Muslim saints.

A stone - said to be from the tomb of a saint of the Bektashi order of Islam, sits right in the middle of the room.

The Bektashi Order is a branch of Sufi Islam which originated in Turkey and spread to parts of the Ottoman empire, including the Balkans.

For its adherents this building is their place of prayer - a "turbe".

To Christians it is the Church of Saint Nikola. But they have shared the space happily for years.

It is a remarkable feature in a region that has so recently been torn along ethnic and religious lines.

'Miracles happen'

Baba Ejup Rakipi, the local Bektashi leader, tells how, once a year, Christians and Muslims come together here on the day of Saint George known as "Gjurgjovden".

On that day, after prayers, he says, believers sit around the same "table of love". They drink from the same glasses and eat with the same forks.

The walls bear images of both Christian and Muslim saints
    "There are souls who neither doubt, nor feel disgust towards other souls, because we are God's creatures and cannot be divided," he says.

The shrine in Makedonski Brod was first built as a church in the 14th Century, but was destroyed later during the Ottoman invasion, historians in Macedonia's capital, Skopje say.

But the legend told in the area has it that the church was rebuilt as a sacred place in the 18th Century by a Muslim bey, in an effort to remove the curse from the house he was trying to build, that was always collapsing.

In the shrine of today, the Orthodox priest, Marko, says he often prays for the Muslim worshippers and "sometimes miracles happen".

He tells the tale of a mute Muslim boy who had started to speak upon hearing an Orthodox prayer read for him.

"Unfortunately, I do not have any scientific evidence to back this," he adds.

'We're all the same'

As for sharing the space with believers of another faith, the priest has no problem.

"Our origin is from the same creator, therefore we are all the same in front of God no matter what religion we belong to - Muslim, Orthodox or Roman Catholic. We are all the same and the God's mercy is equal for all," he says.

Historians in Macedonia's capital, Skopje, say that the shrine at Makedonski Brod, although not known to many, it is not the only one in the country.

Ethnologist Elizabeta Koneska has studied the phenomenon for years. She says such places of worship are common in small countries like Macedonia.

"For centuries, people who lived together, also prayed in common temples," she says.

"Although the ritual was observed discretely, people respected it and tolerated each-other".

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873
  • julie
    • May 2009

a lovely article Bill
    "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

Nice story.

Are the Muslims in that area Macedonians or ethnic Albanians?
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Bill77
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
        Nice story.

Are the Muslims in that area Macedonians or ethnic Albanians?
        I would asume that what ever Muslims are in that area and do use this shrine, they would not be Albanians. Albanians tend to keep to them selves.

But Historicly speaking, as the artical says, "Bektashi Order" which is a branch of Sufi Islam which originated in Turkey and spread to parts of the Ottoman empire, sugests that turks during the ottoman period would have shared and used it with The Macedonian Orthadox.

I would like to add, where in the world can Christians and Muslims get together and "sit around the same "table of love". They drink from the same glasses and eat with the same forks". Only in Macedonia.

Comment

• Bill77
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
          I would asume that what ever Muslims are in that area and do use this shrine, they would not be Albanians. Albanians tend to keep to them selves.

But Historicly speaking, as the artical says, "Bektashi Order" which is a branch of Sufi Islam which originated in Turkey and spread to parts of the Ottoman empire, sugests that turks during the ottoman period would have shared and used it with The Macedonian Orthadox.
          Quote from Wiki " Kemal Atatürk banned all Sufi orders and shut down the lodges in 1925. Consequently, the Bektashi leadership moved to Albania and established their headquarters in the city of Tirana."

"In the Balkans the Bektashi order had a considerable impact on the Islamization of many areas, primarily Albania, Greece and Bulgaria, as well as parts of Macedonia."

"Following the ban on Sufi orders in the Republic of Turkey, the Bektashi community's headquarters was moved from Hacıbektaş in central Anatolia to Tirana, Albania."

"There are also important Bektashi communities among the Albanian communities of Macedonia"

It seems that The Bektashi are Albanians these day. So more than likely these Muslims that visit the shrine in Makedonski Brod are Albanians.

But after doing some surch on Makedonski Brod, i found this.

Demographics
          By the August 2004 territorial division of Macedonia, the rural Samokov municipality was attached to Makedonski Brod municipality, which then totaled 7,141 inhabitants.[1] Before the merge, the municipality of Makedonski Brod had 5,517 inhabitants in 1994 and 5,558 in 2002.[citation needed] Samokov municipality had 2,057 inhabitants in 1994 and 1,553 in 2002.[citation needed]

Ethnic groups in the municipality (2002 census)[2]:

Macedonians: 6,927
          Turks: 181
          Serbs: 22
          Roma: 3
          Bosniaks: 1
          Others: 7.

So acording to the 2002 census, there are no Albanians living there, unless they fall in the "others" category which would only be 7 anyway.
          Last edited by Bill77; 04-15-2010, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Which looks like they may be Macedonian Muslims, as they are rightfully counted as Macedonians by ethnic classification.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Daniel the Great
              • Nov 2009

That is a very good story Bill. Christians and Muslims around the world are so divided by hatred and for a story like this to come out of Macedonia it is very good. I think this shrine is very iconic in the sense that it in a way promotes peace between these two religions and any religion it works in the same way.

Comment

• Serdarot
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by daniel the great View Post
                That is a very good story Bill.
                i agree with this part

Christians and Muslims around the world are so divided by hatred and for a story like this to come out of Macedonia it is very good...
                i strong disagree with this part. mostly it takes 2 for a Tango... i have many friends Muslims (and followers of other Religions), and i don“t think any of them has a problem that i am Orthodox Christian

the ground of such "opinions" (that we hate eachother) is in the ignorance.

Most of the believers don“t know anything about their religion, better said they don“t use their heads and eyes, instead that, they blindly repeat what the "priests" are repeating.

For example, how many of you knows that Holy Virgin Maria is the most praised woman in the Islam?

How many of you knows that one of the fundaments of the Islam is to believe in Isus / Isa? (Jesus)

much to learn you have, young padawans
                Bratot:
                Никој не е вечен, а каузава не е нова само е адаптирана на новите услови и ќе се пренесува и понатаму.

Comment

• Onur
                  • Apr 2010

Yes, This is one lovely article.

Even though i don't believe any religion myself, I don't see any reason for Muslims and Christians cant live in peace. This is what has been practiced in Balkans and Anatolia for centuries already. Also Bektashi faith of Turkey is the most peaceful and uniting form of Islam unlike the other sects in middle-east. This is also accepted by everyone in Western world and the creator of it, "Rumi" is also praised even among Christians today.

Originally posted by Serdarot View Post
                  For example, how many of you knows that Holy Virgin Maria is the most praised woman in the Islam?

How many of you knows that one of the fundaments of the Islam is to believe in Isus / Isa? (Jesus)

You are right. At "Koran", it says Jesus is the only person in the world who born without a father but by the will of god.

Differences are; "Koran" says, actually the word of god in the sacred books of Jews, Christians was the same but at later times people changed their contents for their own will and corrupted them. For example, it judges Christians for treating Jesus as the equal with God himself and/or the son of God. In Koran, its written as "How come you consider my messenger Jesus as same as the creator of everything, God. God is one and only, Jesus was just a human like you but my messenger to spread the word of god like Mohammad or Moses of the Jews. God choose Virgin Maria to be his mother because of her purity and innocence but Jesus was never God`s son since the God is supreme and fertility only belongs to his creatures in the world. It also says that Jesus was never died because of people`s torture to him. God never lets Jews do any harm to him and it says the God elevated Jesus`s soul to his heaven when Jews tried to crucify him and never allowed his messenger feel any pain.

P. S: Please, I don't mean to enter any religious arguments since i already only believe in God but none of religion myself. So, i don't care what people believes either. I respect everyone's belief. Peace
                  Last edited by Onur; 04-15-2010, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Spartan
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by mail2onur View Post
                    , I don't see any reason for Muslims and Christians cant live in peace. This is what has been practiced in Balkans and Anatolia for centuries already.
                    Which centuries are you talking about if i may ask?

Comment

• Bill77
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Serdarot View Post
                      the ground of such "opinions" (that we hate eachother) is in the ignorance.
                      I am not sure what you intend here. You are ither agreeing that Muslims and Christians hate each other becouse they are ignorant, Or you are disagreeing that there is hatred amongst the two and anyone that believes there is hatred is Ignorant.

Let me start with the latter first. If this is what you meant, then surley there is ignorance in the person who believes life is rosie and there are no religious issues in the world. You give us an example of how you have Muslim friends that don't have issues with you being a Christian. Well you will find they accept you personaly, its not the religion.(though its probably unfair of me telling you what your friends truly feel, By not knowing them, i can only asume).

I do have Greek friends that accept me, but does this mean that there are no issues between the two nationalities, or they accept my Macedonian heritage? I dought it, they would call me a Macedonian to my face only through respect towards me and not my Nationality.

If you Agree that both sides do hate eachother and its because of ignorance that they do, i agree.

Then this is more of a reason why this place in Makedonski Brot is so special. Also take into consideration the people in the Balkans would be more ignorant than the west due to there rough history and lack of Technology untill recently. Also, the Macedonians in Macedonia imho are the most religious i have came across. During a recent visit, i noticed each time a local youth walked past or drove past a church, se krstat. I have not seen anything like that in my life.

To give some credit to the Muslims in Macedonia, a church in my Fathers village caught on fire, two muslim men were the first and only ones there to extinguish the flames.

Why i bring this up, is to prove how special and miraculous our country and the majority of the people are and always have been. Which might be our downfall. The generosity and respect our people have can be looked at as weakness and simple minded. Which is why in all our history, we get bent over, kicked around and spat on. Its easy for them to do.
                      Last edited by Bill77; 04-15-2010, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• Bill77
                        • Oct 2009

Even though i don't believe any religion myself, I don't see any reason for Muslims and Christians cant live in peace. This is what has been practiced in Balkans and Anatolia for centuries already. Also Bektashi faith of Turkey is the most peaceful and uniting form of Islam unlike the other sects in middle-east. This is also accepted by everyone in Western world and the creator of it, "Rumi" is also praised even among Christians today.
                        Lets hope the Albanian Muslims in Macedonia don't change this.

In 2002 a group of armed members of the Islamic Community of Macedonia (ICM), which claims to represent all Muslims in Macedonia, invaded the Harabati Baba Tekke (traditionally Bektashi Sufi lodge). in Tetovo in an attempt to 'reclaim' the tekke as a mosque, although the facility has never functioned as such.

So clearly, the ICM which would mainly be the Albanian sunni, are trying to take the Bektashi community under there umbrella.

Comment

• Bill77
                          • Oct 2009

Even though i don't believe any religion myself, I don't see any reason for Muslims and Christians cant live in peace. This is what has been practiced in Balkans and Anatolia for centuries already.
                          I agree. There has been odd atacks on Churchs and mosques during wars such as recently in Bosnia and Kosovo by extremists, unfortunatly wars bring out these type of incidents. But if we look back in history, for centuries under Ottoman rule, people were free to practice there Orthadox religion. The Balkans would have to have the most number of Church's and Mosques than anywhere in the world. Where as in parts of Africa, asia, middle east, you have mass killings between the two. There is no dought (apart from one country) the Balkans tolerate and respect other religions and people a free to practice what ever they choose.

Comment

• Spartan
                            • Sep 2008

Tolerance and respect for other religions and races in the Balkans -

1.At least 330,000 Serbs, 30,000 Jews and 30,000 Roma were killed during the NDH and the same number of Serbs were forced out of the NDH , in May 1941 - May 1945. The International commission for truth on Jasenovac System of Croatian Cocentration Camps conclude that Croats managed to exterminate more than 700 000 Serbs, more than 23 000 Jews and apr. 80 000 Roma

2.During World War II, in Kosovo & Metohija, approximately 10,000 Serbs lost their lives, and about 80 to 100,000 or more were ethnically cleansed. After WWII new communist authorities banned to Serbian and Montenegrin, who had been expelled during the war, from returning to their abandoned estates.

3.The Population exchange between Greece and Turkey has been described as an ethnic cleansing.

4.During the four years of war time occupation 1941 - 1944, the Axis (German, Hungarian and Croatian) forces committed numerous war crimes against civilian population (Serbs, Roma and Jews): about 50,000 people in Vojvodina (north Serbia) (see Occupation of Vojvodina, 1941-1944) were murdered and about 280,000 were arrested, raped or tortured. The total number of the killed people in Bačka was 19,573 (under Hungarian occupation), in Banat 7,513 (under German occupation) and in Syrmia 28,199 (under Croatian occupation).

5.During the Axis occupation in Albania (1943–1944), the Albanian collaborationist organization Balli Kombėtar with Nazi German support mounted a major offensive in southern Albania (Northern Epirus) with devastating results: over 200 Greek populated towns and villages were burned or destroyed, 2,000 ethnic Greeks were killed, 5,000 imprisoned and 2,000 taken hostages to concentration camps. Moreover, 30,000 people had to flee in nearby Greece during and after this period

6.On 5 and 6 September 1955 the Istanbul Pogrom or "Septembrianį"/"Σεπτεμβριανά", secretly backed by the Turkish government, was launched against the Greek population of Istanbul. The mob also attacked some Jews and Armenians of the city. The event contributed greatly to the gradual extinction of the Greek minority in the city and country, which numbered 100,000 in 1924 after the Turko-Greek population exchange treaty. By 2007 there were only 5000 Greeks

7.The ethnic cleansing in 1974-76 of the Greek population of the areas under Turkish military occupation in Cyprus during and after the Turkish Invasion of Cyprus

8.The forced assimilation campaign during 1984 - 1985 directed against ethnic Turks by the Bulgarian State resulted in the expulsion of some 360,000 Bulgarian Turks to Turkey in 1989.

9.The widespread ethnic cleansing accompanying the Croatian War of Independence that was committed by rebel Serbs and Serb-led JNA on the occupied areas of Croatia (self-proclaimed Republic of Serbian Krajina) (1991–1995). Large number of Croats and non-Serbs were removed, either by murder, deportation or being forced to flee. The majority of Croatia's Serb population was ethnically cleansed by the Croatian army at the end of the war in Operation Storm.[93] In few last days of August 1995, more than 250.000 Serb refugees fled out of Croatia.

10.The widespread ethnic cleansing accompanying the Bosnia and Herzegovina (1992–1995), Large numbers of Serbs, Croats, Bosniaks were forced to flee their homes and expelled.[95] Beginning in 1991, political upheavals in the Balkans displaced about 2,700,000 people by mid-1992, of which over 700,000 of them sought asylum in Europe.

11.The entire population of Krajina, some 250,000 Serbs, were expelled in 1995. Serbs who remained, mostly elderly and helpless, were brutally murdered by Croatian paramilitaries.

12.The widespread ethnic cleansing committed against Albanians on the Albanian-dominated breakaway Kosovo province (of Serbia) (1999). Large numbers of Albanians were forced to flee their homes and expelled.

13.The widespread ethnic cleansing committed against Serbs and other non-Albanians in Kosovo in 1999, ended up with expulsion of over 400 000 people, mostly Serbs and Gypsies

14.More than 800,000 Kosovar Albanians fled their homes in Kosovo during the Kosovo War in 1998-9, after being expelled. Although on the contrary over 200,000 Serbs and other non-Albanian minorities were forced out of Kosovo during and after the war while most Albanians returned.

Thats just the last 50 - 60 years...... damn greeks.....
                            Last edited by Spartan; 04-15-2010, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• Bill77
                              • Oct 2009

Damn Greeks

David Howarth ! ......Greek barbarity as depicted in his book called the "Greek Adventure"

The truth which lies behind Greece's slanders against Turkey in the presence of the world is that they aim to plunder Aegean, Cypriot and Turkish lands. Yes! In the year 2000, Greece is still living with the "Megali Idea" dream.

Now let us take a look at GREEK BARBARITY.

The Greeks cannot endure books that show them in a bad light. One of the books that make them furious is the "Greek Adventure" written by the English author David Howarth. Howarth examined the 1821 revolution on the scene of the event and wrote this book after examining one by one the books, articles and journals written by British, Italian, French and German officers and journalists after returning to their respective countries.

The true events recorded in David Howarth's book "Greek Adventure" are disgraceful and loathsome.

Those who read below the several paragraphs extracted from the book in question, which divulges Greek barbarity to the world in the clearest terms, will acquire ample knowledge about what the Greeks are.

"In the summer of 1821, rebellion against the Turks erupted against the Turks. The conflagration spread so rapidly that no one can say where, why and by whom the first Turks were killed. According to official records, the rebellion was first led by the Church. The first cause of the war could be described as a religious and sacred war.

Bishop Germanos of Patras called the populace to arms by raising his cross. In those days, Patras was a prosperous and beautiful city. It was open to the outside world and a large number of Turks lived there along with the Greeks. On hearing that a crowd of people from the mountains was approaching, they withdrew to the city castle to defend themselves. Even before Bishop Germanos and the insurgents arrived in the city, Muslims and Greeks had begun killing each other in the streets. The Greeks welcomed Germanos as a saviour. The new arrivals had already begun looting the homes of the Turks. The insurgents erected a cross in the main square of the city with a ceremony. The words uttered by their leaders were: "Peace to Christians, respect to consuls and death to Turks!"

Events followed the same course in the Peloponnese. The Greeks had risen all over the peninsula and murdered their neighbours the Turks. They had done this perhaps in the name of Christianity or freedom, but above all else they had done it to despoil the Turks, to take revenge and because of the Church's jealousy and personal vengeance.

Once the massacres had begun they did not need to search for a reason. They were all thirsty for blood, that was why they were murdering. It was known that in the month of March of that year, 25 thousand Muslim families were living outside the cities in the Peloponnese and were occupied in farming. In April, as the Easter celebrations were continuing, not a single individual of these people was left alive. The corpses were left among the flowers in the fields, on soil warmed by the Spring sun. With the arrival of Summer heat, they rotted away.

This frenzied genocide perpetrated by Germanos and the other Church leaders had caused horror. Throughout the war, other leaders joined Germanos and were madly applauded.

Kolokotronis was also a leader sought by the peasants and the nobles. He had made his wealth selling horses to the British army. In return for his services, the British had awarded him the rank of major. When Kolokotronis joined the uprising he was fifty years old. He commanded a 6,000-strong special unit. His first battle ended in fiasco. His troops were routed by a Turkish cavalry force of 500. Kolokotronis ran along with his men, and he ran so fast that he left his weapons behind.

It was a tradition of the Greeks to run when the course of battle turned against them. The Greeks neither adopted a battle order like the European armies nor fought face to face with their enemy. The first thing they sought in order fight was someplace behind which they could defend themselves; this would generally be a boulder. And if they couldn't find one, they would build themselves a small wall of rocks, behind which they would seek safety, and then start firing. As they fought, they shouted obscenities at their enemy, uttered words of contempt at them and derided them. As they fired, they held their weapons at the hip and as they pulled the trigger they closed their eyes and averted their faces. They could therefore kill only a few of their enemies and when a random bullet killed someone, they forgot they were in a battle and ran to the dead person to rob him, emptied his pockets and then severed his head from his body. The economic resources of the revolutionaries were the robberies and plunders carried out by their chiefs.

The city of Monenvasia fell five months after the outbreak of the rebellion. This city and its castle were built on sharps cliffs rising from the sea. The Turks living in the city; the soldiers, state officials and traders and their families, and the other Turks from the nearby villages, had sought refuge in the castle. There was terrible starvation. Their only food was sea moss and plants. They even sallied forth desperately from the castle at night to capture and bring back a corpse. They knew the tragedy awaiting them if they surrendered to the Greeks. The Greek bandits were waiting patiently to slaughter and rape the Turks and plunder their properties. The Greeks declared to the Turks besieged in the castle that if they surrendered their lives would be spared. The priests even promised them that if they surrendered they would be put on boats and sent to the Turkish coast. Only 500 Turks were put on the boats. These 500 Turks never set foot on any land and nothing has been heard of their fate. As for the thousands of Turks left in the castle, as soon as the gate was opened, they were set on by the Greeks, were slaughtered and their possessions plundered.

This is the truth about the victory announced in Europe as "The Greek Miracle." It was not the triumph of Greek arms and Christianity in the sense understood by the Europeans.

The second fortress to fall was that of Navarone. The Turks had been promised that if they surrendered they would be taken to the North African coast and set free. The Greek who made the agreement boasted to an English colonel that: "The agreement had a single copy and I have torn it up. No one can claim any rights now." The Turks opened the castle gates, either because they believed this promise or because they had no other way out.

The Greeks immediately rushed in and massacred all the inhabitants of the city numbering some two thousand. A priest who witnessed the event later recounted how the women were undressed, taken to the seashore where they were raped then drowned; how children were beaten to death or killed by knocking them against rocks. Greeks greatly enjoyed cutting off the arms and legs of their victims. Foreigners who visited Navarone months later found it hard to endure the stench of corpses that permeated the whole city and saw dogs, rats and crows feed on corpses along the castle walls whose arms and legs had been cut off. As for the Greeks, in order to demonstrate their power to the visiting foreigners, they told them the numbers of the Turks they had killed and how they had killed them; they also presented the visitors with the Turkish boys and girls they were keeping in the ruins. They had spared the lives of these children, naked and mad with fear, to satisfy their sexual appetites.

Some twenty Europeans witnessed the barbarity of the Greeks as they attacked the fortress of Tripolitsa. One of them was Colonel Thomas Gordon from Scotland. The Colonel was a sensible, experienced and honest soldier and knew Greek well. He found the events he witnessed at Tripolitsa so horrifying that he wanted these disgraceful events to be remembered to eternity. Even today, it would be better if the stories the witnesses have recounted were not repeated. I think saying this much should be sufficient. Within two days not a soul was left alive in the city where ten thousand Turks had been living. Most of them had been murdered by cutting off their heads, arms and legs. Following this massacre, thousands of Greeks returned to their villages to hide the plunder which had by their standards made them rich. The price of slaves had dropped so low that no one wanted to own them. Because no one had buried the dead, an unbearable stench permeated the whole city, the drinking water was contaminated and a cholera epidemic broke out.

"PHILOTIMO" is a Greek word. It means "Honourable" and it is an ethnic title for the Greeks. The Greeks have, until the recent past in any event, conducted their lives on two levels: one of them being the normal world where we all live, and the other the dream world of ideals they themselves created. The first of them is the life of reality they lived in, the other the world of dreams created by themselves. A Greek may reject the facts and events known, seen and believed by everyone and may insist that they had never been or occurred. For example, it is this characteristic of the Greeks which make them exalt and praise bandits and raise them to the level of courageous knights, the defenders of noble Greek traditions. In fact, they all know by experience that the bandits and pirates they have presented as national heroes were in reality mangy, filthy, insatiable and hardened thieves. But the fact is that for the Greek, these two aspects are of equal value.

When a Greek's "Philotimo" is in question, he can never accept the facts as they are. As Lord Byron has said, "The Greeks lack the capacity to comprehend reality. Every Greek has an exaggerated opinion about Greeks."

A traveller like me who has an open mind cannot help but feel admiration for them. This may be a result of sensitivity. In the face of their amenability I felt myself indebted to the Greeks. I thought about what the cause might have been that had all of a sudden turned their ancestors into monsters one hundred and fifty years ago. The general explanation for this was the hatred they felt for the Turks after living for centuries under Turkish oppression. They had avenged themselves. But I think something else lies behind the event. Turkish rule, as is known, was not bad. Hatred cannot be an excuse for turning into monsters. I think the cause is just the opposite of what it is thought to be. Once the Greeks loved the Turks very much. They had been under the influence of the Turks for 350 years. The only thing that separated them from the Turks was the Church. In spite of being Christians, the Greeks had remained more oriental than western in their traditions and behaviour . I don't think that even today they have rid themselves of the influence of the Turks.

Only a handful of foreigners lived in Greece at the time of the 1821 revolution. Therefore Europe did not know what was happening in Greece. Because the reports sent outside Greece were written by enlightened romantics who had not taken part in the war, they were penned to reflect the Greeks' ideals. Therefore as the Europeans condemned the Turks, they were unaware that it was the Greeks who were perpetrating barbarities and had started the slaughter. While all foreign countries recognised the Greeks as citizens of the Ottoman Empire, the European public applauded them as Christians heroically waging war against Muslims.

The reason for the European's siding with the Greeks was not only their being Christian; it was also their history. In those days, education was classically orientated. Language, philosophy and ancient Greek arts were the foundation of this education. Meanwhile, a group of people known as the "Philhellenes" was guiding the Europeans' beliefs about Greeks onto a wrong path. These Philhellenes comprised scholars of classical literature, idealists, poets and conservative and romantic politicians who had spread all over Europe. They were spreading all around them a new ethnic concept the Greeks had never even thought of. According to them, the Greeks were the progeny of ancient Greeks and maintained invisibly the intelligence and heroism of the ancients.

For five whole years, the Philhellenes not only died for this delusion, they also spent vast amounts of money. This idea championed by the Philhellenes has never been correct. The present day Greeks are as close to the ancient Greeks as are the present day English to the Saxons. The blood of both nations has been mixed and adulterated by migrations and invasions over thousands of years. The ancestors of the modern Greeks, even if we discount the Turks, were the Romans, Albanians, Goths, Venetians and Slavs.

There is no doubt that the genius of ancient Greek forms the foundation of European culture, but this genius was virtually forgotten in Greece. The Greeks did not want to remember it. When they looked back, they only saw the Byzantine Empire and prided themselves on that.

The Greek revolutionaries' capture of the Turkish garrison in Corinth is also a black stain on Greek history. The fortress rose on the hills behind the city. The siege of the fortress lasted a long time. The Turkish families who had gathered in the castle were suffering horribly from hunger and thirst. As in Navarone and Tripolitsa, the Greeks had promised the Turks that if they surrendered the fortress, they would be ferried across to the Anatolian coast. The Turks, having no other option, accepted the offer and when they left the castle to go to the coast, a new chapter was added to the book of horrors. The Greeks, setting upon the defenceless people, slaughtered everyone except the young boys and girls. They did not harm the young ones because of their evil lust and their intention of selling them.

This cruel, bloodthirsty genocide by the Greeks was also extremely idiotic. As an Italian by the name of Brengeri wrote in his memoirs, "One incident is sufficient to make one understand a lot of things..." On his way to Corinth, Brengeri comes across a murdered Turk. A little further on are the man's wife and baby in a wretched condition. To help the starving woman and her baby Brengeri collects a few pennies from his companions and hands them to the woman. Brengeri leaves the woman and he has not gone a hundred meters along the road when he hears two gunshots. When he looks back, he sees that Greek rowdies who had seen him hand the money to the woman have murdered the woman and her baby to rob her of the money.

Brengeri is one of several foreigners who witnessed the genocide in Corinth. Brengeri watched with disgust as a Turkish family of a man, his wife, two children and their servants, who had been cornered, were murdered by the Greeks in his presence. Before killing the children's mother, the Greeks tore the veil off the woman's face to see what she looked like. When Brengeri pled with the Greeks to release the woman, he was told: "Give us fifty piastres and we'll release her." Leaving his companions with the Greeks and the woman, Brengeri went to a grocer he knew and borrowed the fifty piastres to give to the Greeks. Then the Greeks said: "We'll hand her to you but naked," and stripped the woman naked before releasing her. Hundreds more Turkish women were thus sold to foreigners by the Greek bandits.

The Acropolis in Athens was the most renowned of the citadels in Greece. For more than a year, 1150 Turks had been forgotten and left to their fate among the ruins of this sacred temple. No one bothered these wretched people but for the "Greek Admirers" force set up by Europeans who admired the Greeks. The "Philhellenes", who wanted to capture the Temple of Acropolis, the treasure house of Greek civilisation, from the Turks and hand it to the Greeks, attacked the citadel one night but were routed. When the Turks looked below from the Acropolis, they could see people prepared to cut their throats with pleasure.

It was lack of water that defeated this handful of Turks whom no siege or orderly assault had been able to vanquish. The winter of 1821 had been unusually dry. The cisterns cut out of rocks had dried up. By June, the Turks did not have a drop of water to drink. Taking advantage of this, the Greeks set down their conditions for the capitulation of the citadel. What they demanded was that the Turks leave their arms and half of their money to the Greeks; in return they would be allowed to board ships and go to Turkey.

When on 22 June 1822 the gates of castle opened, those who came out were not warriors but wretched people begging, "A drop of water...a drop of water.." and trying to crawl. Only 180 of them were men of an arms-bearing age. The rest were made up of the elderly, the crippled and women and children from neighbouring villages who had sought refuge in the castle. There were no ships waiting to take them away. The Turkish captives were put in the courtyard of Hadrian's Temple on the slope of the Acropolis. No one bothered them there for two days. Then the attack of Greek rowdies began. They threw the Turks out of the places where they had hidden and began to chase them in the streets. 400 people, most of them made up of ill and weak women, were murdered. Those who survived were taken under protection by the foreign consuls in Athens.

In the ten-year period from 1821 to 1832, events continued to occur at the same speed. Much Turkish blood was shed on the Greek peninsula. The events might have been viewed from a different perspective if the blood shed was the blood of only the Turkish soldier. A soldier fights and he either kills or dies, that is his duty. But if the shed blood belongs to helpless people such as women, children and the elderly, then it is called a "massacre" or "butchery" We learn from foreign sources that the Greeks carried out not just butcheries but mass butcheries. And again the same sources write how the Greeks deceived world public opinion into swallowing their butcheries as a triumph of Greece and Christianity.

As Greece accuses the Macedonians, Albanians, Bulgarians and Turks of barbarity, it should not forget that it owes them a debt of blood.

The Greeks ruthlessly murdered tens of thousands of Turks, Bulgarians, Albanians and Macedonians with the aim of adding the Balkans and Anatolia to their borders. They may have forgotten these murders that they committed, but cannot delete the fact from the pages of history.

If we were to turn these pages and transfer Hellenism's mass murders to our pages, we would have to write volumes of books.

All the same, let us recall a few of them:

On 4th July 1913 during the 2nd Balkan War, the Greeks attacked Kilkish. The city was defenceless with only women, children and the elderly present. The first targets attacked by the Greek artillery were the orphanage and the hospital. The greater part of the children and patients in these two buildings died in the shelling. Meanwhile, the Greek troops who had occupied the city looted and burned the houses and murdered their occupants, just like they did in Anatolia, Macedonia, Albania and Cyprus.

During this occupation, they raided forty villages, burned down 4,725 houses and bayoneted to death 74 people, eleven of them babies and most of the rest women and elderly people.

In the village of Akangeli they had occupied, the Greeks told some 400 villagers that they would transport them to some other place, took them to the forest where they murdered them and then stole their money and other valuables.

In the Bulgarian villages they attacked, Greek troops not only murdered anyone they came across but also raped the women and stole their money. According to official records, in three days Greek troops slaughtered 365 Bulgarians and Muslim Turks.

In the presence of a group of foreign journalists, Greek troops gathered two hundred Bulgarians of Macedonian origin in a square where they murdered them, they then loaded the corpses onto lorries and carried them to the forest where they buried them in a mass.

Also included in the report prepared by the "Carnegie Foundation Research Centre" on these mass murders committed by the Greeks are also excerpts from letters sent to their families by the Greek soldiers who had committed these murders.

Here are a few of them:

· "Here in the villages we occupy, we kill all the Bulgarians, not caring whether they are women or children."

· "Under the orders we have been given, we kill every Bulgarian we come across and burn their houses."

· "The orders are to the effect that we should kill them by cutting their throats and burn their houses. We obey these orders."

· "We bayoneted every Bulgarian we captured and cut off his head."

· "Of the 1200 Bulgarians we captured in Negrita, only 41 who were in prison stayed alive."

· "We did not leave a single Bulgarian alive in every place we passed through; we exterminated them."

· "We gouged out the eyes of five Bulgarians we had captured, and they still would not die."

The following excerpts, taken from books written by Greek officers who in 1919 attempted to occupy Turkish lands, reveal in very clear terms what the Greeks are in their own words.

Excerpts from Nikos Vasilikos's book "The War Diary":

· "Akcakoy is surrendering. A dreadful scene." P.72

· "The Turkish villages on our route are being subjected to real disasters." P.74

· "All the Turkish villages on the plain are being burned by Greek troops. With the passage of Greek forces through these places, all sides are being illuminated with the light of civilisation (flames)" p.108

· "All the villages are burning furiously. In order not to get roasted, the occupants of the villages are running out of their homes like rats." P.113

· "Afyon is being abandoned to the flames." P. 175

· "We are rapidly advancing to the village of Burnaz. The village was set on fire amid the maledictions of the Turkish ladies running about naked in the gardens to escape the fire."

· "We arrive at a town burning from one end to the other." P.187

· "Large numbers of Turks are being killed along the route. One of us advancing in the van put the muzzle of his weapon against the Turk's neck and when he fired, the Turk's head flew fifteen meters away." P.181

N.VASILIKOS, "Dairy", p.57

"We are given the task of guards in the transportation of 150 Turkish captives. All along the route, the cavalry troops are tormenting the captives; some of them are striking the captives with rifle butts and whips. The captives' attempts to protect themselves by hiding in each other's arms present a dreadful picture. It is as if they are trying to turn into a single body. Many of them pass out as we advance and we make the others carry the ones that faint."

P.APOSTOLIDES: We read the following lines in pages 20-21 of his book "MY Recollections 1900-1969".

"The elderly, the women and children had hidden in the mosque. Some of our soldiers became aware of this. Because they lacked courage like all worthless people, they were afraid of the crowd and therefore did not dare force the door of the mosque to rape the women. They started a fire by throwing dry grass they had collected from here and there through the windows. The people inside began to come out, choking with the smoke. It was then that those worthless wretches aimed at the women, the children and the elderly and murdered them. Some others related to me how they had seen the application of another method of infernal torture. Very large nails were driven into the ground. The plaited hair of the women were passed around these nails, so that the women, unable to move, were raped in groups.

An instance of Greek barbarity witnessed by historian Arnold Toynbee is told on page 298 of his book "The Western Problem".

"At 13.00 on Friday, the 24th of June 1921, three days before the Greeks evacuated Izmit, the men of two Turkish quarters called Bahcecesme and Tepekhane were taken to the cemetery and shot in groups. I was present when on 29th June two of the graves were opened. I saw that the arms of the corpses were tied behind them. Some 60 corpses were estimated to be in those graves. A total of around 300 people were missing."

The Greek has shown his barbarity everywhere he has gone, as it happened in Cyprus in 1974...

According to an official report published in the British "The Guardian" newspaper on 2nd April 1988, 25 Turks in hospital went missing from their hospital beds during the July 1974 events. According to the report prepared on the findings of British intelligence officer Lieutenant Martin Packard, the Turkish patients had their throats cut by the Greek Cypriot nurses, their corpses were loaded onto a lorry and taken to a farm in the north of the city, where their flesh was separated from their bones, ground in a mincing machine and thrown into the sewers.

Another instance is the horrifying event Salahi Hilal, who is still alive today, went through. This is how Salahi Hilal, whose flesh was cut with a knife and his blood sucked, relates Greek cruelty:

"The Greeks and Greek Cypriots who had captured me began to cut my arms and the fleshy parts of my shoulders with the daggers they had pulled from their belts. Meanwhile a Greek officer approached them and asked the Greek Cypriots, "Is there anyone among you who hasn't drunk Turkish blood?" Some of them shouted, "We haven't," whereupon ten to fifteen people along with the Greek officer began licking the blood oozing from the cuts on my arms and shoulders. I was about to pass out when I was taken outside, I saw a friend of mine captive in their hands. His legs and arms were tied. Then a Greek Cypriot pulled the safety pin from the grenade he had taken from his belt and threw the bomb at the Turkish soldier. My poor friend was blown to pieces. I didn't want to live any more."

The Tsamourian Albanians whose lands were occupied by Greeks should not be forgotten either.

The genocide movement whose aim was the ethnic cleansing of the Tsamourian Albanians began on 27th June 1944. 2900 young and elderly men, 214 women and 96 children were murdered by the EDES bands commanded by General Napoleon ZERVAS; 745 women were raped, 76 women abducted, 32 children under the age of three put to the sword, 68 villages razed to the ground and 5800 houses and places of worship destroyed.

The Greek has always kept low in the presence of the powerful but put on a show of strength only in the presence of the weak.

This is the true blood-smeared face of the Greeks who think that they will gain something by deceiving the world with lies in order to present the Turks as "Barbarians".

Comment

Working...
                              X