Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > General Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM   #71
Big Bad Sven
Senior Member
 
Big Bad Sven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,494
Big Bad Sven is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin15 View Post
I'm sure there are racists in Spain but I don't think "savages" is not the norm.

It happens a lot unfortunately

Worst case scenario they are treated/seen like refugees that cause trouble and all women are whores. At Ďbestí itís a similar scenario how England sees Australians, basically they owe spain and Portugal for giving them civilisation and that their worst went over.
Big Bad Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM   #72
Risto the Great
Senior Member
 
Risto the Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Macedonian Colony of Australia
Posts: 14,474
Risto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin15 View Post
I'm sure there are racists in Spain but I don't think "savages" is not the norm.
Not unlike some French speaking Africans visiting France. They are looked down upon. I'm genuinely surprised you haven't come across this.
__________________
Risto the Great
Holding my breath for the revolution.
Risto the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM   #73
Carlin15
Member
 
Carlin15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 923
Carlin15 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risto the Great View Post
Not unlike some French speaking Africans visiting France. They are looked down upon. I'm genuinely surprised you haven't come across this.
I'm still not sure about the "savages" part but I'm not surprised that they might be looked down up. Europe is generally very nationalistic.
Carlin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM   #74
Risto the Great
Senior Member
 
Risto the Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Macedonian Colony of Australia
Posts: 14,474
Risto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin15 View Post
I'm still not sure about the "savages" part but I'm not surprised that they might be looked down up. Europe is generally very nationalistic.
They are looked down upon because (in their eyes) they are not real Spaniards. They were former "savages" who were bestowed the "gift" of Spanish. I know many Venezuelans who talk about Spain with mixed emotions.
__________________
Risto the Great
Holding my breath for the revolution.
Risto the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:35 AM   #75
Gocka
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ohrid
Posts: 1,959
Gocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin15 View Post


I'm curious to know which large parts of South America speak exclusively native languages?


20% of Bolivians speak Aymara
70% of Paraguayans speak Guarani
8.5 million people in various countries speak Quechua

These are just some of the most common, there is something like 200 languages in south America, half of which are in Brazil alone.

Only have of South America speaks Spanish, the other Portuguese, even some Italian and French.

I never said exclusively, but yes there are many people especially in Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Guatemala, who don't know Spanish. This has become a problem at the US border because border agents can't communicate with many of the migrants.

You originally said:
Quote:
I do think that many if not most Central and South Americans do feel a sense of shared cultural identity with each other due to the Spanish language.
That is the same arrogant western perspective as the shared cultural identity of "Slavs". It is all based on the outsider looking in and making assumptions and conveniently lumping things together.

The cultures throughout South America are vastly different and certainly go multitudes deeper than the Spanish language. Before European conquests most of the peoples had limited contact with each other and didn't even speak languages that were intelligible to each other. What ever similarities we see today were largely forced on them. Hardly a good example to back up your argument on why Macedonians share cultural similarity with other so called Slavs.

Quote:
Also, who told you that many peoples of south and central America hate each other as much as Macedonians and Greeks?
They do but in different ways as other have touched on. This idea that they all see each other as the same/similar is just not accurate.

I think many of you over estimate the so called hatred between Balkan peoples. I know many people in the diaspora who are married to Greeks, Serbs, Croats, etc. Even in Macedonia today you can find Macedonians married to Albanians. Maybe in nationalist circles like the one on this forum we give the perception that we are all practically at war but in practice it has never been like this.

I don't know what its like in Australia or Canada, but in the USA many of these Balkan nationalities commonly socialize. There is a deep rooted rivalry or even animosity to some degree, but its overblown and in most cases easily overcome as long as the person in question is not a total dickhead.

Do some South Americans hate each other as much as Macedonians and Greeks? Yes, because most Macedonians and Greeks don't hate each other as much as we think, and Most South Americans don't just hear Spanish and consider everyone their brother.

Again most of this is in the context of your original argument about Macedonians sharing Slav culture with other so called Slavs. I felt you were pushing the truth a little bit about your comments about South Americans.
Gocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:25 AM   #76
Spirit
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 99
Spirit is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocka View Post
20% of Bolivians speak Aymara
70% of Paraguayans speak Guarani
8.5 million people in various countries speak Quechua

These are just some of the most common, there is something like 200 languages in south America, half of which are in Brazil alone.

Only have of South America speaks Spanish, the other Portuguese, even some Italian and French.

I never said exclusively, but yes there are many people especially in Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Guatemala, who don't know Spanish. This has become a problem at the US border because border agents can't communicate with many of the migrants.

You originally said:

That is the same arrogant western perspective as the shared cultural identity of "Slavs". It is all based on the outsider looking in and making assumptions and conveniently lumping things together.

The cultures throughout South America are vastly different and certainly go multitudes deeper than the Spanish language. Before European conquests most of the peoples had limited contact with each other and didn't even speak languages that were intelligible to each other. What ever similarities we see today were largely forced on them. Hardly a good example to back up your argument on why Macedonians share cultural similarity with other so called Slavs.



They do but in different ways as other have touched on. This idea that they all see each other as the same/similar is just not accurate.

I think many of you over estimate the so called hatred between Balkan peoples. I know many people in the diaspora who are married to Greeks, Serbs, Croats, etc. Even in Macedonia today you can find Macedonians married to Albanians. Maybe in nationalist circles like the one on this forum we give the perception that we are all practically at war but in practice it has never been like this.

I don't know what its like in Australia or Canada, but in the USA many of these Balkan nationalities commonly socialize. There is a deep rooted rivalry or even animosity to some degree, but its overblown and in most cases easily overcome as long as the person in question is not a total dickhead.

Do some South Americans hate each other as much as Macedonians and Greeks? Yes, because most Macedonians and Greeks don't hate each other as much as we think, and Most South Americans don't just hear Spanish and consider everyone their brother.

Again most of this is in the context of your original argument about Macedonians sharing Slav culture with other so called Slavs. I felt you were pushing the truth a little bit about your comments about South Americans.
Gocka, I live in a city called Newcastle in Australia and there is a strong social connection between the Macedonian and Greek communities here, often you get a lot of Greeks at Macedonian functions and vice versa and there is a lot of interaction between the communities and apart from a few bad apples there is general respect between the communities, a large part of my social circle are Greeks and they have always respected me as a Macedonian

We just christened my daughters 3 weeks ago and the numko is one of my oldest friends who is 8 years and 1 day older than me, a guy I’ve looked up to as like an older brother I’ve never had and he is Greek. He had no issue in attending and performing the godfather duties in our church
One of my other oldest friends who is Greek just lost his father to cancer and the funeral was just on Saturday, there was a significant amount of Macedonians who attended to show their respect.
I don’t know why it is like this between the communities, it might have to do with the fact that Newcastle is originally a blue collar working class city and the communities were drawn to and banded together as a means of security. Despite the longevity of our community here Newcastle is still a very racist city, very Anglo-Saxon in its mentality

Last edited by Spirit; Today at 01:28 AM.
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump