Where did the Refugees from Turkey settle in Aegean Macedonia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Svoliani
    Banned
    • Sep 2008

' At the beginning of the last century, Drama was an ottoman garrison town. In 1911, on the eve of the Balkan wars which wrested the area from ottoman control, there were 11,000 muslims and only 2500 orthodox christians living in the town. This meant that the overwhealming majority of its ottoman-era residents were forced to leave under the population exchange, while most of its current residents descend from orthodox christian refugees who arrived from places like Samsun in th early 1920's. With a near completeness that is rare even in Northern Greece, this place literally swapped populations. Today Drama is essentially a Pontic Greek town. '

Twice a Stranger
    Bruce Clark Pg 16

Osiris , while in Istanbul couldnt get away from makedonski speakers and now he claims to know someone from Drama and Kavala and even Tasos. Next he will tell me he has met makedonci from Grevena and Katerini and at the foot of Mt Olympus!!!
    Give it up oldtimer, who are you trying to fool bre.

Comment

• osiris
      • Sep 2008

svoliani what you think is of no concern to me, you like all the rest of the wannabbes are the ones who need to lie, about history and the balkans and deny people the reality of their life experience. just like you are doing now refusing to believe what i have seen and heard in my many years alive because it doesnt suit your politics. also with age comes wisdom something you lack completely.

regarding grevena and katerini they are vlach speaking and were at the end of the 19th century,i have a neighbour in australia who speaks vlachika from keterini, but he keeps telling me its a type of greek, something you would agree with right svoliani. but even there you would have found people who spoke macedonian, as macedonian was the lingua franca of macedonia. greek was the official language of the church since the abolishent of the archdiocese of ohrid by the ottomans due to the influence of the roman phanorites.

records show that there were in fact macedonian speakers even in thessally and epirus in the 19th century,wheras go back to the 16th and the "spartans" around mount taugetus still spoke slavic, as attested by turkish records describing the uprising led by a delyan from that area against ottoman rule.

i feel for you svoliani if you are a grkoman or a child of prsofigi, you are a traitor to your ancestors culture and memory, and must live with it.
      Last edited by osiris; 11-13-2008, 02:09 AM.

Comment

• Giorikas
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
        Giorikas, they NEVER identified as Greeks unless it had something to do with religion descriptors that others used for them.
        We know what they called themselves.
        You know it.
        Here is someone who I am sure you know of (Omer Asan - a Pontian from Turkey):

Romioi or Turks?
        pick one
        He is what he identifies as. He seems to be struggling with that. From what I read, he is a Turkish national but who knows about hit roots, and those roots seem not to be Turkish but Greek. I'm ok with whatever he is ok with, Greek or Turkish, I don't bother to label him. I believe those examples can be found in all the countries where population exchanges took place.

Comment

• Giorikas
          • Sep 2008

No, they were not Greeks.
          The expelled "Bulgarians" were almost entirely Macedonians that thought they would have a better life in Bulgaria. They were not expelled. The Macedonians that remained have become modern Greek nationals. You know it.

I have bothered to ask them. You are not from there, I am sure you have not asked them based on your "greek textbook" style.
          So were there no Bulgarians at all in Greek Macedonia or what ? Here you go again ....

Comment

• osiris
            • Sep 2008

giorikas do you have any siblings.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Giorikas View Post
              So were there no Bulgarians at all in Greek Macedonia or what ? Here you go again ....
              Yes there would have been I imagine.
              There were even some Greeks (not near my people though).
              There were plenty of Greek and Bulgarian sympathisers near my people. They spoke my language and had my customs, now they dance the rembetika to confirm their pureness.
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Giorikas View Post
                He is what he identifies as. He seems to be struggling with that. From what I read, he is a Turkish national but who knows about hit roots, and those roots seem not to be Turkish but Greek. I'm ok with whatever he is ok with, Greek or Turkish, I don't bother to label him. I believe those examples can be found in all the countries where population exchanges took place.
                Sorry, that is a pretty timid response.
                Here we have someone who is an authority on the matter who wrote about his people. He was embraced by the Greek press and he still could not bring himself to call himself Greek. He is merely being honest with himself and retaining historical accuracy about his identity. Only one option out of "Greek or Turkish" were mentioned, and it was not Greek. The other was Romioi. .... lend me your ears.
                Risto the Great

Comment

• osiris
                  • Sep 2008

giorikas i asked if you had siblings from the same 2 parents and you didnt answer. so if you have siblings with who you grew up with could they actually be ethnically different to you, and could one be one ethnicity while the other another and you a third.
                  that in essence is how many macedonian families were forced to live, by the absurd policies of the 3 balkan amigos greece serbia and bulgaria. i hope this offers a small insight into the nonsense that official greek hsitory has been teaching the past 100 years or so.

Comment

• Daskalot
                    • Sep 2008

Giorikas seems to have gone AWAL....
                    Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Daskalot
                      • Sep 2008

Here is the map in a larger version, just so our fellow Greeks can view it better.

Comment

• Giorikas
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
                        giorikas i asked if you had siblings from the same 2 parents and you didnt answer. so if you have siblings with who you grew up with could they actually be ethnically different to you, and could one be one ethnicity while the other another and you a third.
                        that in essence is how many macedonian families were forced to live, by the absurd policies of the 3 balkan amigos greece serbia and bulgaria. i hope this offers a small insight into the nonsense that official greek hsitory has been teaching the past 100 years or so.
                        It offers insight in the way your lunatic mind works. You're banned again.

Comment

• Giorikas
                          • Sep 2008

Sorry, that is a pretty timid response.
                          Here we have someone who is an authority on the matter who wrote about his people. He was embraced by the Greek press and he still could not bring himself to call himself Greek. He is merely being honest with himself and retaining historical accuracy about his identity. Only one option out of "Greek or Turkish" were mentioned, and it was not Greek. The other was Romioi. .... lend me your ears.
                          Risto, concentrate on Macedonia and try to forget Greece and Greeks. I have nothing to add to what I said. I do not want to categorize him. And it seems he does not want to be categorized either. What is so difficult to understand about that?

Comment

• TerraNova
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2008

Here are the percentages of population in the various prefectures of Greek Macedonia in 1925.

(Greek na(tives),Greek Re(fugees), Slavic speakers ,(ex)exarchists,(ex)patriarhists, vlachs*)
                            *vlachs are also divided in pro-greek(3/4) and pro-roumanian(1/4).

from Concise statistic of the population of the general governorship of Macedonia (early 1925-unpublished),
                            Concise statistic of the population of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace (1925)
                            Last edited by TerraNova; 11-21-2008, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Daskalot
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TerraNova View Post
                              Here are the percentages of population in the various prefectures of Greek Macedonia in 1925.

(Greek na(tives),Greek Re(fugees), Slavic speakers ,(ex)exarchists,(ex)patriarhists, vlachs*)
                              *vlachs are also divided in pro-greek(3/4) and pro-roumanian(1/4).

from Concise statistic of the population of the general governorship of Macedonia (early 1925-unpublished),
                              Concise statistic of the population of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace (1925)
                              would you care to explaine how you read those statistics? nothing adds up to 100% but hey only in Greece can a Greek be 150% not Greek.....

Comment

• Risto the Great
                                • Sep 2008

50% of Solun was already full of the imports from Turkey in 1925? Wow.
                                Daskalot, those numbers (whilst having pretty colours) will not add up in a row because some events are not mutually exclusive. Nevertheless, a source for the pretty coloured document would be nice.
                                Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                                X