X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

MTO Response in relation to European Parliament Resolution

The Macedonian Truth Organisation (MTO) thanks the European Parliament for taking the time to consider issues affecting Macedonia and the possibility of joining the European Union in the European Parliament resolution of 10 February 2010 on the 2009 progress report on Macedonia.

We accept the prospect of EU membership has indeed driven many of the reform processes in Macedonia. We agree with many of the resolutions and note how well Macedonia has progressed in relation to fulfilling the Copenhagen Criteria. However, we are concerned with some matters pertaining to your resolution specifically in relation to the following statements included in your review of Macedonia’s Political Development and Regional Issues;

8. Draws particular attention to the ongoing process of decentralisation, which is an important step in terms of helping the country to function better and improving inter-ethnic relations; stresses that, in order to ensure the successful implementation of this process, municipalities must be provided with sufficient funds to carry out their new tasks, and that their capacity to perform the competences transferred must be enhanced;
    We agree with the European Parliaments earlier statement in the resolution that political stability is the common goal broadly shared by the country's political actors and ethnic groups. We fail to see how encouragement of the process of decentralization assists this goal. In fact, we view it as an attempt to encourage further instability with a final consequence being complete federalisation of Macedonia based on ethnic identities. We find no evidence of benefits exceeding the many costs in relation to this strategy. Why would the European Parliament seek to involve themselves in this "gamble"?

29. Recalls that, in accordance with the relevant European Council conclusions of 19 and 20 June 2008 and those of the General Affairs and Foreign Affairs Councils of 7 and 8 December 2008 and 8 December 2009, maintaining good neighbourly relations, including a negotiated and mutually acceptable solution on the name issue, continues to be essential;

30. Welcomes, to this end, the new, more positive climate between the governments of Macedonia and Greece following the recent elections in Greece and, in particular, the recent meetings between the two prime ministers; encourages the two countries to redouble their efforts at the highest level, especially in the framework of UN negotiations, in order to find a mutually satisfactory solution to the name issue, under the auspices of the UN, and stresses that the European Union should be ready to assist in the negotiation process; notes with concern the use of historical arguments in the current debate, including the recent phenomenon of so-called "antiquisation", which is liable to increase tensions with neighbours and create new internal divisions;
    The MTO is of the firm and substantiated belief that forcing Macedonia to change its name is a fundamental breach of human rights and is a direct attack on the sovereignty of Macedonia. We are of the perception that the European Parliament appears to embrace Greece’s historical arguments whilst condemning Macedonia for any attempts to introduce debate on historical matters. We are not completely sure whose “historical arguments” are being attacked by the European Parliament in this current debate. Most Macedonians believe their fundamental human rights as Macedonians (not ancient Macedonians) should be more than adequate to be used in any naming debate. However, should Greece feel compelled to persist with historical debates, Macedonia is more than entitled to debate vigorously on these matters. With tens of thousands sites of archeological significance in Macedonia, there remains more than enough arguments for both common and uniquely identifying factors of historical significance.

Of particular concern to the MTO is the adoption of the “antiquisation” terminology introduced by the Macedonian opposition party and now embraced by the European Parliament. We note no names were mentioned by the European Parliament but feel compelled to remind the European Parliament that Greece has been doing this for the last 180 years starting from the “katharevousa” language experiment and ultimately culminating in a blatant denial of the existence of minorities living within its borders. Preferring instead to believe they are all direct descendants of ancient Hellenes instead. We do accept the process of “antiquisation” has transpired in many countries including Greece, Macedonia, England, France and Holland amongst others and believe the process was used to help forge national identities in many instances.

We would like to introduce a new term called “Macedonianisation” and contend that Greece has been going through what can only be described as a thorough “Macedonianisation” over the last 20 years. Examples including the renaming of the Micra airport in Thessaloniki to “MACEDONIA” through to the process of “cash for comments” by historians and journalists. (During 1989 to 1993 from secret funds of the Greek Foreign Ministry headed by Andonis Samaras, Greek journalists received $130 million dollars (US) to promote the "greekness of Macedonia" according to the testimony of former Prime Minister Constantinos Mitsotakis.).

Macedonians are more than justified in being offended with attacks on their identity given the ongoing attempts by consecutive Governments of Greece to negate and re-define them. The European Parliament should exercise caution in encouraging Greece to remain in such a position of belligerence.

32. Underlines the importance of reconciliation and understanding in the region, which are part and parcel of European values and principles, and encourages the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and neighbouring countries to engage actively in developing and implementing confidence-building measures in the fields of education and cross-border cooperation and generating a common understanding of history; calls on the authorities of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and neighbouring countries to avoid actions and statements which might adversely affect such efforts; notes that joint celebrations of common historic events with neighbouring EU Member States contribute to a better understanding of history and the maintenance of good neighbourly relations;

33. Calls on the authorities in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia to take the necessary measures to discourage "hate speech" relating to neighbouring EU Member States in the media and similar statements in school textbooks;
    Greece denies the existence of a Macedonian minority (amongst others) within its own borders even though the existence of ethnic Macedonians (from Greece) as minorities in all corners of the globe is readily proven. It would be impossible to reach consensus with Greece in relation to historical matters. What Greece often interprets as “hate speech” many others merely interpret as an affirmation of minority and/or human rights. Court cases held in the European courts have confirmed the prevailing attitudes in Greece in relation to its minorities. The Greeks have already been held accountable for their actions a number of times in the past.

The MTO is concerned that there appear to be two sets of rules as they apply to existing EU members like Greece and candidate countries like Macedonia. The consistent theme from this European Parliament resolution is that Macedonia is the only country to blame and, as a consequence, is the only country that must change. We cannot accept this as a statement of fact and strongly wish to register our disappointment with the European Parliament for not insisting Greece focus on its much more important economic issues rather than seeking to deny the rights of Macedonians.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Admittedly, this is a quick response and it did not take me a very long time to write. Nor did it depart dramatically from my original sentiments conveyed in in the UMD thread. The question I put to our readers is whether the above response is justifiably a response from the Macedonian Diaspora (and indeed all Macedonians) or whether it is far more appropriate to simply remain silent like the UMD.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Prolet
      • Sep 2009

Thank you very much Risto, this is wonderful

I only hope this letter is read by the proper authorities

МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Vangelovski
        • Sep 2008

RtG, good work.

UMD should take note. This is in line with the position we expect from a Diaspora organisation.

One minor comment, rather than engaging in the 'name debate', I would call for the Interim Accord to be declared 'null and void' and any acts resulting from it to be reversed and/or corrected. Personally, I would also question whether the Framework Agreement "guarantees the rights of people from all ethnic backgrounds" (point seven of the EU resolution) and seek a rewrite of the Macedonian constitution.
        Last edited by Vangelovski; 03-09-2010, 04:43 AM.
        If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Bill77
          • Oct 2009

Wow Risto, this is an excelent peice of work.

I think you have the right idea my friend. This response should be sent to the apropriate dep in the EU and demand a response back from them. I would sugest we encourage further dialog once we get a response. This would be a important and nesesary step to take for the sake of Macedonia and the Macedonians, and it has been long overdue.

I Would also like an opinion from UMD on this. Now is a time for them to respond and get involved. This is a good time to unite.

Risto.... you are Great.
          http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• osiris
            • Sep 2008

rtg dont spend another second editing its great as it is looking forward to the dinner.

Comment

• Prolet
              • Sep 2009

I only hope this doesnt go to waste
              МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Sovius
                • Apr 2009

Excellent work Risto. The surface of the letter is non-reactionary on an emotional level and conveys a sense of dignity and a keen awareness of the "Bigger Picture". Seeing as how they are essentially asking Macedonia to give up, I believe it would be advantageous to develop the section regarding the "katharevousa language experiment" a little more. Context is the key. They keep avoiding the historical events that led to this "dispute". Why? As Indigen pointed out a while back, Macedonia is a historical nation, not an inconvenient newcomer. I believe this observation should also be reinforced with specific information. They need to be reminded of what occurred at the onset of the 20th Century in order to truly understand what is occurring now. More depth in that area, I think, would go a long way in driving home the main points of the letter's arguments.

Very well done and a new term for the English language to boot!
                Last edited by Sovius; 03-09-2010, 09:32 AM. Reason: formatting problem

Comment

• Pelister
                  • Sep 2008

This is a brilliant response RTG. I am so impressed. This is something UMD should be doing, but we have come to learn that UMD blindly favors these Western institutions - regardless of how they are against our interests.

A few more letters like this are needed from other Macedonians. I also think they should be send to a number of departments within the E.U, specifically their foriegn policy area and all Council members; and it would be good to 'CC' the Macedonian government on this.

I like this:

The MTO is of the firm and substantiated belief that forcing Macedonia to change its name is a fundamental breach of human rights and is a direct attack on the sovereignty of Macedonia.

Comment

• Pelister
                    • Sep 2008

Outstanding response.

Comment

• julie
                      • May 2009

RTG, love your work!
                      "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Mikail
                        • Sep 2008

Risto, only two words can describe your response;

Bloody Brilliant!

From the village of P’pezhani, Tashko Popov, Dimitar Popov-Skenderov and Todor Trpenov were beaten and sentenced to 12 years prison. Pavle Mevchev and Atanas Popov from Vrbeni and Boreshnica joined them in early 1927, they were soon after transferred to Kozhani and executed. As they were leaving Lerin they were heard to shout "With our death, Macedonia will not be lost. Our blood will run, but other Macedonians will rise from it"

Comment

• Phoenix
                          • Dec 2008

Well done Risto, has UMD approached you for a role in their media 'department'...I guess their silence on the matter speaks volumes about their ineptitude on so many levels...

Comment

• Pelister
                            • Sep 2008

I think we should do all we can to help MTO produce more letters such as this one, and to make sure we 'cc' the Macedonian government. Who can tell? Informing the Macedonian government of the position of MTO might give them some much needed ideas.

I believe that a letter can be written everyday, and that there are hundreds of politicians and bureacrats in the E.U that need informing as much as anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                            X