Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Why isn't the Macedonian Diaspora pro-active worldwide?
    One reason I believe that the majority of the Macedonians who live in diaspora countries worldwide are too comfortable in their own lives to get active. These Macedonians need a reason to become pro-active. Most Macedonians who are nationalists condemn these Macedonians instead of trying to figure out why it is that they are not pro-active. As business catchy as this may sound these non-active Macedonians need incentives to get up and do something. There must be something in it for them,,, or in it for their children.

How can this be rectified?
    One way which I know is possible in areas where there's a large concentration of Macedonians is to open up Macedonian Private Schools. Education is key. And not the educational curriculum of MANU either. Macedonian Private Schools would have to work in unison from around the world where there is a large community of Macedonians. This will attract future Macedonians to these communities bonding them and their children together. What these schools could do is plentiful. I see what the private 'greek' schools in New York have done. This is one thing our communities need. This is where you can instill pride in our young, qualities of union, Macedonian language education, and to provide pro-activity in the diaspora. There is much more but this one ingrediant is the sugar to your sweets, in my opinion.
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Buktop
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Silver View Post
      This was a brilliant reply so what else would satisfy your curious question?

Why don't you tell us what you think will change things for the better? Maybe Mr. Buktop will be here soon to tell us all the great things UMD can do for us.

In Canada the United Macedonians Organization as well as our churches have done alot to unite the community into a much stronger and cohesive one. The Australian Community is very strong as well. Tell us what positive things are going on in the U.S. of A (I take it you're an American).
      Maybe you should read the first post of the thread and make an attempt to answer the relevant questions rather than act like 10 year old.

TM, I think Silver's post is a prime example as to the inactivity of the Diaspora. Everyone seems to know the right path, rather than taking the path, they choose to ostracize others who disagree with them and waste much needed resources and effort in doing so.

There is no one right way to work towards the benefit of Macedonia, there are multiple beneficial routes, and the sooner people understand this, the better.
      "I'm happy to answer any question and I don't hide from that"

Never once say you walk upon your final way
      though skies of steel obscure the blue of day.
      Our long awaited hour will draw near
      and our footsteps will thunder - We are Here!

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

Buktop, what do you think is the reason for the UMD not replying or acting upon the EU Parliament Resolution?
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Buktop
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
          Buktop, what do you think is the reason for the UMD not replying or acting upon the EU Parliament Resolution?
          How should I know?
          Why are you asking me, and what does this have to do with the topic at hand?

Comment

• Prolet
            • Sep 2009

Buktop, Nothing wrong with asking for your opinion is there?
            МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Buktop View Post
              How should I know?
              Why are you asking me, and what does this have to do with the topic at hand?
              Well, one of the preceding posts here referred to an MTO response to this issue. Further, the thread is about the lack of pro-activity of the Macedonian Diaspora. We then have an organisation that you support who are simply unable to make a public statement in relation to this demeaning attack on Macedonians. This organisation purports to represent the Macedonian Diaspora. In the past you have withstood all odds to interpret previous statements from the UMD. Like it or not, you appear to be the defender of all things UMD. I am sure you can join the dots.

Please put a good spin on this.

The UMD is clearly far too busy to voice the concerns of Macedonians in trivial issues like attacks on the Macedonian identity by an organisation we have been kissing arse to join for the last 10 years.
              Risto the Great

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                • Jan 2009

Risto what would your answers roughly be to the original posts questions?

And how can Macedonians in the diaspora from say the US and Canada help the Macedonians in Australia get their government to recognize the Republic of Macedonia's name?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
                  Risto what would your answers roughly be to the original posts questions?

And how can Macedonians in the diaspora from say the US and Canada help the Macedonians in Australia get their government to recognize the Republic of Macedonia's name?
                  Why isn't the Macedonian Diaspora pro-active worldwide?
                  I believe the Macedonians are actually pro-active worldwide. I think we punch above our weight every day and do not believe this is the problem. The Macedonians have been clawing their way to significant wins over the last 10 years and we often fail to realise our accomplishments in recent times. Much needs to be done but we are the David versus Goliath and we are winning some significant battles. I think there is a glaring need for a worldwide network of organisations that share core beliefs that the Macedonian Cause defines.

Lets not confuse Australia's stance with the issue at hand. The simple reality is that Australia would call Macedonia as Macedonia if that is what it is referred as in the UN. I am positive your sense of skepticism ensures you are aware why the USA recognised Macedonia. I certainly don't want to give up as much as Macedonia did last time only to get appeased by the USA with a name acknowledgment. If we throw millions at lobbyists in Australia, would it be as good as sorting out Macedonia first? No. Macedonia needs to assert itself. We did not hear a whimper from Macedonia about the EU Parliament resolution. They accept anything thrown at them. Victims!

In fact, what you are asking is "Why, despite all the efforts from Diaspora initiatives, is Macedonia still unable to be demand respect as a sovereign nation?" The answer lies in Macedonia. Encouraging them to sell out is not helping them.
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                    • Jan 2009

I believe the Macedonians are actually pro-active worldwide. I think we punch above our weight every day and do not believe this is the problem. The Macedonians have been clawing their way to significant wins over the last 10 years and we often fail to realise our accomplishments in recent times. Much needs to be done but we are the David versus Goliath and we are winning some significant battles. I think there is a glaring need for a worldwide network of organisations that share core beliefs that the Macedonian Cause defines.

Lets not confuse Australia's stance with the issue at hand. The simple reality is that Australia would call Macedonia as Macedonia if that is what it is referred as in the UN. I am positive your sense of skepticism ensures you are aware why the USA recognised Macedonia. I certainly don't want to give up as much as Macedonia did last time only to get appeased by the USA with a name acknowledgment. If we throw millions at lobbyists in Australia, would it be as good as sorting out Macedonia first? No. Macedonia needs to assert itself. We did not hear a whimper from Macedonia about the EU Parliament resolution. They accept anything thrown at them. Victims!

In fact, what you are asking is "Why, despite all the efforts from Diaspora initiatives, is Macedonia still unable to be demand respect as a sovereign nation?" The answer lies in Macedonia. Encouraging them to sell out is not helping them.

I don't think many Macedonians out there even know the issues and details about the so-called "name issue". Even within the Republic. The problem I notice in the diaspora is there is no initiative to join forces with other organizations. I see you pointed out the Macedonian Cause and I agree with everything it states. But how many Macedonians know of it in the diaspora? Where's the initiative to spread the core beliefs to the people who don't even know such a thing exists? I notice that when Rogi posted the Macedonian Cause and what it stipulates alot of Macedonians for the first time realized what the cause is actually about. Now how can we successfully spread it?

BTW is it possible to pool in the number of memberships in every pro-Macedonian diaspora group? In order to effectively know what our diaspora is doing this is important. AMHRC, UMD, UNITED MACEDONIANS, etc can you guys lay out your numbers for us?

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                      • Jan 2009

BTW RTG you never gave me an answer on how someone like me from NYC can help Macedonians in the Australian Diaspora get the Republic of Macedonia recognized from their government. Many countries out there have recognized Macedonia under its official name. So there's no excuse why Australia continues to balk.

Comment

• Buktop
                        • Oct 2009

Well, one of the preceding posts here referred to an MTO response to this issue. Further, the thread is about the lack of pro-activity of the Macedonian Diaspora. We then have an organisation that you support who are simply unable to make a public statement in relation to this demeaning attack on Macedonians. This organisation purports to represent the Macedonian Diaspora. In the past you have withstood all odds to interpret previous statements from the UMD. Like it or not, you appear to be the defender of all things UMD. I am sure you can join the dots.

Please put a good spin on this.

The UMD is clearly far too busy to voice the concerns of Macedonians in trivial issues like attacks on the Macedonian identity by an organisation we have been kissing arse to join for the last 10 years.
                        I'm not sure why they haven't commented, they should have. I don't have any spin on the situation, try sending them an e-mail.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

TM, I am quite sure I gave an answer. If Macedonia sorts itself out, Australia will have no choice but to call Macedonia as Macedonia. Same goes for France, Spain etc. Australians can keep on maintaining the rage here in Australia. But people worldwide would be far better served helping to empower the Republic of Macedonia. Do you disagree?

The USA has repeatedly said it will support a new mutually agreed name for Macedonia. Will you be protesting at the White House if Macedonia agrees to a new name?

As far as the Macedonian Cause is concerned, I disagree with you. Many Macedonians knew well before the creation of the Macedonian Cause thread what it entails. You raise an interesting question about "Pro Macedonian" diaspora groups. How do you determine if a group is "Pro Macedonian". As an example, the MPO is "Pro-Macedonian" according to their definitions. Perhaps we should ask the MPO to commit to the Macedonian Cause. If they choose not to embrace it, they will be in the same boat as the UMD. In other words, irrelevant or at worst "Anti Macedonian". You might view my opinion as extreme, but if you accept the Macedonian Cause, then you will not accept Macedonians who don't. (Have a coffee at Starbucks with them by all means, but don't let them try to influence policy)
                          Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Buktop View Post
                            I'm not sure why they haven't commented, they should have. I don't have any spin on the situation, try sending them an e-mail.
                            I am of the opinion that the silence speaks volumes in this instance Buktop.
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                              • Jan 2009

TM, I am quite sure I gave an answer. If Macedonia sorts itself out, Australia will have no choice but to call Macedonia as Macedonia. Same goes for France, Spain etc. Australians can keep on maintaining the rage here in Australia. But people worldwide would be far better served helping to empower the Republic of Macedonia. Do you disagree?

The USA has repeatedly said it will support a new mutually agreed name for Macedonia. Will you be protesting at the White House if Macedonia agrees to a new name?

As far as the Macedonian Cause is concerned, I disagree with you. Many Macedonians knew well before the creation of the Macedonian Cause thread what it entails. You raise an interesting question about "Pro Macedonian" diaspora groups. How do you determine if a group is "Pro Macedonian". As an example, the MPO is "Pro-Macedonian" according to their definitions. Perhaps we should ask the MPO to commit to the Macedonian Cause. If they choose not to embrace it, they will be in the same boat as the UMD. In other words, irrelevant or at worst "Anti Macedonian". You might view my opinion as extreme, but if you accept the Macedonian Cause, then you will not accept Macedonians who don't. (Have a coffee at Starbucks with them by all means, but don't let them try to influence policy)
                              Risto I guarnatee there are many Macedonians out there that don't even know about a Macedonian Cause to begin with. Assumptions shouldn't be made. Effective lobbying of the cause should be posed at every Macedonian event in and out of the Republic. This may sound extreme because I believe that too many Macedonians in the diaspora don't even know what havoc 2001 and the EU and NATO will reap on Macedonia.
                              As for America they serve their own interests. Republicans are usually pro-Macedonian and Democrats aren't as they have shown in the past. I understand why the US recognized Macedonia. However it's recognition helped garner further recognition from bigger countries like Canada and smaller countries like Peru (I think it was Peru). Nothing in life is free but I do find it disheartening to know that Australia (which may have the biggest Macedonian diaspora) doesn't recognize Macedonia. I understand what you have stated. But there is no excuse in my opinion. Australia has been bought out by a powerful grk lobby and I doubt waiting for Macedonia to clean up its act will further the process of recognition.

Risto if Macedonia changed its name tomorrow I wouldn't bother going to Washington. There's a Macedonian embassy here in NYC. I'll be there protesting. But I wonder how many other Macedonians would be there with me? And how many of them would even understand the repercussions of capitulating the name? And what affect this would have on the Macedonians in Bulgaria and Grcija?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                                • Sep 2008

TM, I think you have underestimated many of the Macedonian community leaders around the world. Many of them have a deep sense of the Macedonian Cause. What we are doing here is trying to distill the essence of the Cause and hopefully finding ways of achieving it.
                                Australia has been bought out by a powerful grk lobby and I doubt waiting for Macedonia to clean up its act will further the process of recognition.
                                You are saying that Macedonia will continue to be called FYROM by Australia if the United Nations accepts it as Macedonia. This is ridiculous. The Macedonians have invited this kind of treatment by not asserting themselves and demanding fundamental human rights. Instead the Macedonian politicians give credibility to the negotiation process and as a consequence give credibility to the "optional" names they can be called.

The Macedonian Cause needs a little cleanup in my opinion, but after that, it would not be a silly idea to print it out on some large sheets and send it to Macedonian Communities around the world.

I think I am beginning to understand the gist of your sentiment this time around. You are suggesting the Macedonians around the world are simply under-informed and a mechanism needs to be created to help them learn. I think the internet has been a great way to even up the odds. The significance of having more Macedonians informed about their history and issues pertaining to Macedonian affairs is extremely important. I am not bagging American Macedonians but you might be surprised to realise how surprisingly well informed many members of the various communities are in Australia. Perhaps this is not the case in the USA as many seem to embrace Americanism in a way that is perhaps foreign to Macedonians in Australia.
                                Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                                X