Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makedonin
    • Sep 2008

As I understood, we are talking about Ancient Greek, not Modern.

There are more versions of how Ancient Greek was pronouced. Here is one of them:

B {B} (Beta)
    Like English B.
    Or take these Attic Pronountiation:

Greek is a Hellenic language spoken mainly in Greece and Cyprus by about 13 million people.

The Modern Greek pronoutiation is somewhat different:

Last edited by makedonin; 03-16-2010, 10:34 AM.
    To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• Spartan
      • Sep 2008

Interesting....

Comment

• fyrOM
        Banned
        • Feb 2010

If gena is pronounced like zhena could I throw in a wild guess at vergina being
        Verna zhena
        Ver zhena
        Ver gena
        Vergina

Although maybe it would not mean virgin if today’s standards in common speak were used in ancient times as shena is woman and is automatically brings with it the overtones of slightly older assumed married and not a virgin. I’m not great at Macedonian but I am observant. Have you ever notice an older person saying to someone impolite inaccurate or plain wrong to refer to a youngish female who by her appearance is assumed to be not married.

Comment

• fyrOM
          Banned
          • Feb 2010

Osiris you said you googled vergina and go some kind of essay. Did you not get wiki come up. Although because anyone can write in I would never absolutely believe wiki.

Lets not forget wiki.

Who says it’s a modern village. I don’t see why there needs to be any real connection between the symbol and the name vergina. The ruins were there thousands of years before the village was named vergina and decades later the ruins were discovered. There is no direct correlation so debating the word vergina is interesting but whose meaning need not have any direct bearing on the symbol.Let alone what jocks rocks is on about.

Comment

• osiris
            • Sep 2008

makeodnin thank you very interesting i am sorry to doubt you lion having lived in greece and speaking some greek i am to say the least very surprised, i wonder when the b became a v.

in any case the vergina like eddessa may not be a greek word, another irony in this ridiculous situation

Comment

• osiris
              • Sep 2008

A {A} (Alpha)
              Alpha may be long or short and is pronounced O as in "not."
              from your link makedonin, so how would alexanders name be pronounced if that was the case, would it be olexondros and would anthropos be onthropos.

Comment

• fyrOM
                Banned
                • Feb 2010

Just another wild guess but if wiki tells us vergina was named after the legendary queen of ancient beroea and the b is pronounced as a v the could it be
                Beroea
                Ver oea
                Ver o ea ver o ea
                Ver o veja verovaj nea ver
                Veruvaja veruvaj vo nea

Being situated near the capital city aigai it is not unusually to have a place of worship nearby. Eg a monastery outside a city. As a place of worship the name has a Macedonian sound to my ears.

Comment

• fyrOM
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2010

the spacing didnt come out right but i think it still is understandable

Comment

• osiris
                    • Sep 2008

ozimak i am starting to question every thing these days, and your point is well made.

Comment

• Bratot
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by OziMak View Post
                      Just another wild guess but if wiki tells us vergina was named after the legendary queen of ancient beroea and the b is pronounced as a v the could it be
                      Beroea
                      Ver oea
                      Ver o ea ver o ea
                      Ver o veja verovaj nea ver
                      Veruvaja veruvaj vo nea

Being situated near the capital city aigai it is not unusually to have a place of worship nearby. Eg a monastery outside a city. As a place of worship the name has a Macedonian sound to my ears.
                      WTF

I could say Berovo = Beroea = Vergina
                      The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• osiris
                        • Sep 2008

the point is its most likely not a greek word.

so why are the wannabbees using it as if it is.

Comment

Working...
                        X