X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • King Niko
    • Sep 2015

Do I look Macedonian?

( Sorry if these threads are not allowed but I feel it pertains to the website so please just read first, I am new here sorry! )

Hello, I am a new user here, and I understand this is a Macedonian forum, the reason I am creating this thread is because I have a problem.

My family is from Thrace and Pontic regions around the black sea.
    I have no clue of the specific identity.

I have had a problem over the matter if I am Macedonian or not.

I believe my family went through Greece's huge assimilation during the 1920s, because my family whom was from Thrace carried the last name Hristo ( it was shortened from its original longer name, I can not remember the original last name sorry ), and my family has told me I am Greek, but I have looked through family records and see a split from being Greek, and I feel like I could actually be Macedonian. Just a theory so I feel like coming here to ask actual Macedonians if they think I look Macedonian at the least. Please just give your honest answer!

So the reason I am asking, If you truly think I could fit, or pass easily as a ethnic Macedonian, I make this as another way to expose Greek propaganda. Thank you for reading and giving your opinion!

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3 ( I know it does not show my face but only one I have close up )
  • Amphipolis
    Banned
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by King Niko View Post

My family is from Thrace and Pontic regions around the black sea.
    I have no clue of the specific identity.

I believe my family went through Greece's huge assimilation during the 1920s, because my family whom was from Thrace carried the last name Hristo ( it was shortened from its original longer name, I can not remember the original last name sorry ), and my family has told me I am Greek, but I have looked through family records and see a split from being Greek, and I feel like I could actually be Macedonian.
    Can you tell us more about that (the part in bold)? I also come partly from Macedonia and Thrace. This is a nice face, but rather neutral, so it could indeed appear in the Balkans (Greece, Turkey, Bulgaria) and even more West and North up to Central Europe (e.g. Yugoslavia or Germany) and pass as anything as far as I can say.

Is your family still alive? Do you think they hide something? Is it that they don't know? Are you afraid to ask? Can they speak Greek?

Lastly, the names of hometowns and ancestors and dates can help as the history of every village is more or less known.

===
    Last edited by Amphipolis; 10-09-2015, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• Toska
      • Sep 2008

i think this is someone trolling the forum, your story dosnt add up, why would a person that has no connection to Macedonia through family (as your parents would say) your parents would be hardcore greek, anyone back to what i was saying , why would they have a Macedonian flag in their room, not just Macedonian but serbian and polish and a greek, i doubt your parents would allow that flag in your room, unless they are comfortable about originally being Macedonian, which they would have told you in the first place.

smells a bit fishy

Comment

• King Niko
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Toska View Post
        i think this is someone trolling the forum, your story dosnt add up, why would a person that has no connection to Macedonia through family (as your parents would say) your parents would be hardcore greek, anyone back to what i was saying , why would they have a Macedonian flag in their room, not just Macedonian but serbian and polish and a greek, i doubt your parents would allow that flag in your room, unless they are comfortable about originally being Macedonian, which they would have told you in the first place.

smells a bit fishy
        I collect flags, I have a dream to own every flag for every country in the world, I mean I am only 17, I am collecting Jerseys too, I have almost every Balkan jersey.

I own a Egyptian, Palestine, Israel, Russia, Greece, Poland, Serbia, Romania, Israel, Albania, Macedonia, and a few other flags as of now.

I just collect a lot.

I never said I had no connection, I said they went through assimilation.

My parents are no where near hardcore Greek, my parents do not like Greece especially my mom.

Most of my family first names until me was Sava after the saint,

My name splits as Nikolas ( Nikolaos ).

I am not trolling, I am just trying too see peoples input, I have been watching this forum for over a year and just made my account.

Comment

• King Niko
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
          Can you tell us more about that (the part in bold)? I also come partly from Macedonia and Thrace. This is a nice face, but rather neutral, so it could indeed appear in the Balkans (Greece, Turkey, Bulgaria) and even more West and North up to Central Europe (e.g. Yugoslavia or Germany) and pass as anything as far as I can say.

Is your family still alive? Do you think they hide something? Is it that they don't know? Are you afraid to ask? Can they speak Greek?

Lastly, the names of hometowns and ancestors and dates can help as the history of every village is more or less known.

===

From where my family was born, on my dads side, His mom was apparently from around Skoutari, Greece and his dad was from
          Skrat, Bulgaria. My mom side is more near around the Black sea and Eastern Thrace. After I looked through that and the time period, I can put two and two together, especially how after the 1920s my dads side family had their family name changed which I can not find the specific documents but through the grape vine, I know it was not a typical Greek surname.

Most of the older generations are not alive sadly for me to ask, My dads parents are older now, but I do not have the relationship to ask I feel, last time I pushed they tried kind of just pushed off my questions, I think they are hiding something, but can not be for sure.

My dads dad can speak Bulgarian and Greek as fluent as a native, and my dads mom speaks Greek native, as for my moms family they are more of a diaspora since 1920s after the war between Greece and Turkey, so they speak Ukrainian/Greek/Bulgarian, I can not see their documents or anything for the older generations because that is in Europe and I am in USA right now, but my dads family brought a good bit over.

It is hard for me to specify more details with me being second generation American, but I plan to search more.

People tell me I could fit in central Europe also, so it makes me question if I am Vlach or Illyrian ( Thracian ) or something, but I can not pin point yet.

I will update if I find more.

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

I'm thinking Scottish.
            How tight are you with money?
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

Stop your speculations and get a dna check it will solve your identity problem.
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

Well, according to the information you've provided, you may be partially of Macedonian ancestry from your father's paternal side (Skrat is actually in the Macedonian part of Bulgaria). But here is what puzzles me somewhat, and hopefully you can clarify. You said that your grandfather was from Skrat but had his surname changed in the 1920's, which means at some point he moved into the part of Macedonia which Greece occupied. Why would he do that? Also, even if he was a baby in 1920, that was almost a century ago. And both of your paternal grandparents are still alive? You're only 17, averaging it out, your grandfather must have had your father when he was about 40, and your father would have been about 40 when he had you. Is that the case or have I missed something here?
                So the reason I am asking, If you truly think I could fit, or pass easily as a ethnic Macedonian......
                I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that. There are many 'types' that are common to the Balkans.
                Originally posted by Amphipolis
                ......it could indeed appear in the Balkans (Greece, Turkey, Bulgaria) and even more West and North up to Central Europe (e.g. Yugoslavia or Germany) and pass as anything as far as I can say.
                Where are you referring to as Yugoslavia, given that such a place doesn't even exist?
                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2014

From where my family was born, on my dads side, His mom was apparently from around Skoutari, Greece and his dad was from
                  Skrat, Bulgaria.
                  OK that is far better than a good start. Your four ancestors seem to come basically from the same area.

I'll start with Skoutari which I guess meant Skoutari, the village South of Serres, Greece. Skoutari was originally in what is now the Greek-Turkish-Bulgarian borders and I think after the wars was found inside Bulgaria. So Greeks of Skoutari left it (though they were not obliged to) along with the other exchanged population of Turkey and formed what is now Skoutari of Serres. That hapenned in 1924.

The new village of Skoutari (which was previously called Kiskepi) has basically two groups: (a) refugees from the old Skoutari (now called Shtit by Bulgarians, Uskudar by Turks, it means Shield in all languages), (b) refugees from a village of Horouda, Proussa.

So, was your grandmother born in Skoutari, Serres, Greece or in the original Skoutari/Shtit, Bulgaria and WHEN? Where did she grow up? Where and when did she meet her husband? Skoutari during World War II was reoccupied by Bulgarian Army and was again part of Bulgaria. Maybe this is a war love story.

===
                  Last edited by Amphipolis; 10-10-2015, 03:22 AM.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2014

After I looked through that and the time period, I can put two and two together, especially how after the 1920s my dads side family had their family name changed which I can not find the specific documents but through the grape vine, I know it was not a typical Greek surname.
                    Can you share this weird surname? If not, feel free to send it to me in a Private Message. I can tell you my opinion, in the forum or in a Private Message without revealing the surname.

So, the grandfather (originally born in Bulgaria) was a Bulgarian or Greek citizen or both?

Comment

• VMRO
                      • Sep 2008

Skrat, Bulgaria. My mom side is more near around the Black sea and Eastern Thrace. After I looked through that and the time period, I can put two and two together, especially how after the 1920s my dads side family had their family name changed which I can not find the specific documents but through the grape vine, I know it was not a typical Greek surname.

Most of the older generations are not alive sadly for me to ask, My dads parents are older now, but I do not have the relationship to ask I feel, last time I pushed they tried kind of just pushed off my questions, I think they are hiding something, but can not be for sure.

My dads dad can speak Bulgarian and Greek as fluent as a native, and my dads mom speaks Greek native, as for my moms family they are more of a diaspora since 1920s after the war between Greece and Turkey, so they speak Ukrainian/Greek/Bulgarian, I can not see their documents or anything for the older generations because that is in Europe and I am in USA right now, but my dads family brought a good bit over.

It is hard for me to specify more details with me being second generation American, but I plan to search more.

People tell me I could fit in central Europe also, so it makes me question if I am Vlach or Illyrian ( Thracian ) or something, but I can not pin point yet.

I will update if I find more.
                      Skrat as in Blagoevgrad (Gorna Dzumaja)/Petrich area.

Also, if your Mothers side was from the Black sea she could Laz for all we know as there were many different races from that region.
                      Last edited by VMRO; 10-10-2015, 08:01 AM.
                      Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                        • Jan 2010

Welcome Niko. Add this flag to your collection mate.

Comment

• Mad Mak
                          • May 2015

I think you're just an elaborate troll but I give it to you, you're quite funny :

Here's some of your Apricity posts :

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Your Google/Youtube account Νικόλαος Счпан :

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

Took me 3 minutes on Google.

[Edit] : Your hero is Ljubčo Georgievski? Haha that's the best.
                          Last edited by Mad Mak; 10-10-2015, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• King Niko
                            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                            Stop your speculations and get a dna check it will solve your identity problem.
                            Too expensive to get one right now from 23andme.

Comment

• King Niko
                              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Mad Mak View Post
                              I think you're just an elaborate troll but I give it to you, you're quite funny :

Took me 3 minutes on Google.

[Edit] : Your hero is Ljubčo Georgievski? Haha that's the best.

I am actually being serious on this forum.

I take this forum very serious, I will admit I mess around on apricity because those people are full of idiots and most of them are jerks so I treat them like it.

and YouTube, that is for me too just mess around.

Like I said, I am being very serious on this forum.

If I came here to troll I would be insulting the Macedonian name. I have no need too, but if you want to think I am a troll, I will not judge, I will let my post here prove otherwise

Look here too help prove to you I am not trying to troll here.

My name is Nikolas Martin ( Americanized [Nikolaos not Americanized] ). Most call me Niko for short.

I live currently in Tampa even though most of my family lives in the District of Columbia as of now from moving from Europe.

I am 17, go to a highschool in the Tampa, FL area as a senior and play Football ( Soccer ).

Ask any questions about me I will answer with 100% honesty. I am being serious
                              Last edited by King Niko; 10-10-2015, 04:41 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

Working...
                              X