Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spartan
    • Sep 2008

It is from Suetonius that we first learn of another incident during the life of Julius Caesar. While serving as governor in HispaniaHispania, Caesar once visited a statue of Alexander the GreatAlexander the Great. Upon viewing this statue, Suetonius reports that Caesar fell to his knees, weeping. When asked what was wrong, Caesar sighed, and said that by the time Alexander was his (Caesar's) age, Alexander had conquered the whole world.

he came to Gades, and noticing a statue of Alexander the Great in the temple of Hercules, he heaved a sigh, and as if out of patience with his own incapacity in having as yet done nothing noteworthy at a time of life when Alexander had already brought the world to his feet, he straightway asked for his discharge, to grasp the first opportunity for greater enterprises at Rome.
    Stn Julius Caesar, Chapter 7: Julius Caesar quastor in Spain

"Do you think I have not just cause to weep, when I consider that Alexander at my age had conquered so many nations, and I have all this time done nothing that is memorable." ...

Julius Caesar

Comment

Working...
    X