X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dats
    • Oct 2010

Composition of Romanos IV's army against Alp Arslan

Nineveh and Persepolis: an historical sketch of ancient Assyria and Persia, with an account of the recent researches in those countries
    William Sandys Wright Vaux
    Arthur Hall, Virtue, & Co., 1850

Page 125
  • Dats
    • Oct 2010

Composition of Roman Emperor Micheal's Army in 1307

The modern part of An universal history, from the earliest accounts to the present time, Volume 9
    Printed for C. Bathurst, J. F. and C. Rivington, A. Hamilton, T. Payne, T. Longman, S. Crowder, B. Law, T. Becket, J. Robson, F. Newbery, G. Robinson, T. Cadell, J. and T. Bowles, S. Bladon, J. Murray, and W. Fox., 1781

Comment

• Dats
      • Oct 2010

The Roman history:from the building of the city ... [to the taking of Constantinople by the Turks], Volume 4
      Laurence Echard

Composition of Roman armies
      Page 41

Page 136

Page 154

Composition of Turkish Army
      Page 451

Comment

• Ottoman
        Banned
        • Nov 2010

Im more interested in the outcome.

Alp Arslan: "What would you do if I were brought before you as a prisoner?"
        Romanos: "Perhaps I'd kill you, or exhibit you in the streets of Constantinople."
        Alp Arslan: "My punishment is far heavier. I forgive you, and set you free."

Alp Arslan was a great warrior and ruler, I salute him.

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Ottoman, does "Arslan" mean what I think it does? (Lion)
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Ottoman
            Banned
            • Nov 2010

Yes Arslan means Lion, the Aslan spelling without r is more common, its an big honour to be called Arslan in Turkish culture, it reflects your courage.

Comment

• Onur
              • Apr 2010

The Battle of Malazgirt in 1071 AD is so important in world history. It was the first major defeat of Byzantines vs Turks. Byzantines was frequently using Turkish mercenary soldiers since 9th century and Romanos Diogenes had no choice but using these Pecheneg and Cuman soldiers again vs Alp Arslan`s army. According to both Byzantine and Armenian records, these Turkish mercenaries joined Alp Arslan`s side in the battlefield when they realized that they are fighting against fellow Turks. Thats how things became even and Alp Arslan defeated them. This was also first major union of early Turkish immigrants(Cumans, Oghuzs, Pechenegs, Tatars) in Balkans with the ones in Anatolia(Oghuzs). Thats how Anatolian Turks managed to get whole Anatolia up to Izmir in 4-5 years.

Romanos Diogenes felt humiliated and lost Anatolia and then he called Latins for creating crusade army against the Turks and thats how the idea of christian holy war begun few years later this event.

Originally posted by Ottoman View Post
              Yes Arslan means Lion, the Aslan spelling without r is more common, its an big honour to be called Arslan in Turkish culture, it reflects your courage.
              Arslan was probably his title given to him because of his courage and abilities. His name was probably "Alp" then he later called as "Alp Arslan"; "Alp the lion"...
              Last edited by Onur; 01-06-2011, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• Ottoman
                Banned
                • Nov 2010

Thats true.

Comment

Working...
                X