X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphipolis
    Banned
    • Aug 2014

An interesting read. I'm thinking of taking the expensive one. Any advices?

Discover your family, paternal, and maternal ancestry with our full selection Autosomal, Y-DNA, and mtDNA tests!

Comment

• tchaiku
      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by The LION will ROAR View Post
      A family friend of mine who is close friends and co-worker with a Greek did a DNA test and the results was very disappointing for him..he discovered that he had Albanian and Bulgarian DNA...
      the sad thing is he still thinks his Greek...lol
      So if every Greek completed a DNA test..would they change their views on their results...? I guess many would not..

So if History and Science does not correspond to their belief then It's useless, Greeks will never learn..
      All Balkan nations are similar to a large degree.

Comment

• Carlin
        • Dec 2011

So, my ancestryDNA results came back -- very interesting.

Comment

• Gocka
          • Dec 2012

Se fati na ora, sega IGRAJ!

Originally posted by Carlin15 View Post
          So, my ancestryDNA results came back -- very interesting.

Comment

• Carlin
            • Dec 2011

Most likely my haplogroup is J2a1b1.

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

"Haplogroup J is mostly found in South-East Europe, especially in central and southern Italy, Greece and Romania. It is also common in France, and in the Middle East. It is related to the Ancient Romans, Greeks and Phoenicians (J2), as well as the Arabs and Jews (J1). Subclades J2a and J2a1b1 are found mostly in Greece, Anatolia and southern Italy, and are associated with the Ancient Greeks."
            Citizendia.org - Haplogroup J."

"Y chromosome J2a lineages show an origin in the Levant and/or Central/Mediterranean Anatolia. These lineages may track the spread of the Neolithic to the Aegean and Central Mediterranean."
            From Generation to Generation: The Genetics of Jewish Populations.

"The J2 lineage originated in the northern portion of the Fertile Crescent where it later spread throughout central Asia, the Mediterranean, and south into India. As with other populations with Mediterranean ancestry this lineage is found within Jewish populations. Research note: Many people new to Genetic Genealogy think the J2 haplogroup is synonymous with having male Jewish ancestry. One should note that having a J2 haplogroup assignment does not necessarily indicate Jewish ancestry. The J2 haplogroup is far more ancient than the Jewish religion and is found in many lines with Mediterranean region ancient ancestry. Another relatively more recent mode for J2's entry into some parts of Europe from the Mediterranean areas could have been the Roman Legions and Roman settlements."
            Kerchner.com - YDNA Haplogroup Descriptions & Information Links.

"J2a-M92 is widely distributed in the Middle East, the Balkans, and along the Mediterranean coast. In Italy, it shows a high frequency in the South, especially in the Southern part of Apulia. The variance map shows peaks in Turkey and Sicily, followed by the Southern Balkans."

"J2a1b1-M92, have demographic properties consistent with Bronze Age expansions in Crete, arguably from NW/W Anatolia and Syro-Palestine."

"J2-M92 indicates affinity between Anatolia and southern Italy."

Last edited by Carlin; 07-30-2018, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

I've always found J2a1b1's too clingy.
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Gocka
                • Dec 2012

Who says ancient Greek is not also ancient Macedonian? I would be very surprised if the ancient peoples of the Balkan peninsula varied much DNA wise. Before the Romans invaded the region the peoples would have been pretty homogeneous I would expect.

Comment

• tchaiku
                  • Nov 2016

J2a was found in Minoans and Mycenaeans.

Comment

• Gocka
                    • Dec 2012

Elaborate please.

Originally posted by tchaiku View Post
                    J2a was found in Minoans and Mycenaeans.

Comment

• tchaiku
                      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
                      Elaborate please.
                      Scientist have found ancient DNA from Mycenaeans and Minoans.

However, J2a is a very diverse haplogroup, it is found high in Caucus, Anatolia, Levant, Italy, south Balkans etc. And it covers a considerable proportion all the way to west China.

For example in Cypriots and Pontic Greeks J2a (which is high there) is of Near Eastern origin (Lazes, Armenians, Levantines), not old Greek.

Comment

• Carlin
                        • Dec 2011

Haplogroup J2a has been found in the following 'clans' in Montenegro: Пјешивци (Pyeshivtsi) and Цуце (Tsutse).

The closest to Perunovic from Pyeshivtsi is an Italian from Verona (Turtelli). Haplogroup J2a is often associated with Etruscans as well, so its presence in these parts of Italy is not surprising.

Turtelli has been tested on 37 markers, so the age of the 'common ancestor' can be roughly estimated. Namely, Perunovic and Turtelli had a 'common ancestor' about 2000 years ago.

URL:
                        Forum Poreklo is the official discussion board of the Society of Serbian Genealogists "Poreklo". It was launched on January 7, 2013 (the date of Serbian

PS:

The 'DNA story' and timeline I received from ancestryDNA is rather interesting and is not related to the haplogroup result I shared already (I found that out by exporting the raw data results I received). The DNA story one receives from ancestryDNA is represented in a timeline and indicated by big (or small) 'circles' or 'dots' on a map.

Last edited by Carlin; 08-08-2018, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Carlin15 View Post
                          The 'DNA story' and timeline I received from ancestryDNA is rather interesting and is not related to the haplogroup result I shared already (I found that out by exporting the raw data results I received). The DNA story one receives from ancestryDNA is represented in a timeline and indicated by big (or small) 'circles' or 'dots' on a map.
                          So, will you share the results? We're interested in the format, not your actual ancestry. Is it worth it?

Comment

• tchaiku
                            • Nov 2016

Comment

• Carlin
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                              So, will you share the results? We're interested in the format, not your actual ancestry. Is it worth it?
                              It depends what you are looking for (?). I honestly didn't do a thorough review/comparison of different ancestry testing services, and went with AncestryDNA as the kit was on sale - the price was significantly reduced. Some online classify AncestryDNA as the best service for what it offers and price-point.

If you’re okay with the privacy risks that accompany a DNA testing service, we think our pick is best for exploring your ethnicity or finding relatives.

Also, 3 Mistakes to Avoid When Shopping for a DNA Test:
                              Expose surprising truths about your ancestry, health, & identity with comprehensive reviews of top DNA tests. 5 things you can learn + 3 MUST-KNOW buying tips!

Anyway, AncestryDNA will present your Ethnicity results based on different AncestryDNA Regions, such as: Europe South, Europe East, Europe West, Caucasus, Middle East, etc. Each of these regions has its own sub-regions.

For example, I am mostly Europe South (primarily located in "Italy/Greece", with the sub-region "Greece, Turkey & Albania" - Rep. of Macedonia is included within this sub-region "Greece, Turkey & Albania" - but it also appears under Europe East), and Europe East coming in second. I also have traces from other regions which AncestryDNA classifies as Low Confidence Regions, such as: Caucasus, Europe West and even Finland/NW Russia!

Sub-region "Greece, Turkey & Albania"

Comment

• maco2envy
                                • Jan 2015

I lot of Macedonians I know which have taken the AncestryDNA test have been falling into this so-called "Greece, Turkey & Albania" subregion. Quick question Carlin, did you specify any prior information with regards to your background to AncestryDNA?

Comment

Working...
                                X