X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Gorgi Pulevski - Literature, Life and the Macedonian Cause

Below are two letters sent by Gorgi Pulevski during the end of the 1870's. They are addressed to the Badzovic brothers, the first to Kuzman, and the second to Despot. Pulevski writes in a Macedonian dialect but some of the vocabulary displays influence from other Slavic languages. This aside, his Macedonian sentiments are clear, as is his discontent with the Bulgarians, and Macedonians that were working against the Macedonian cause by supporting the Bulgarians.

These are very rare and interesting letters, that were sent around the time of the Russo-Turkish war and the Kresna Uprising. They were cited in the book "Gorgi Pulevski, Izbrani Tekstovi - Nasha Kniga, Skopje, 1985."

Letter 1, 7th December, 1876
    Драги ми пријателе Козмане,

Както разбрах од дјаду Натанаил, си му писал на 26-ого ноемврија и си искажал желанија да сме приели богом благословено и народом избавително дело. И јас у тој мах оставих службата ми и пријах под старос народното своето претпријатие. Распратих посланија по све слободни краеви српских и собрах људје и тргнах тука.

Кугато пристигнах сос четоју, кроз солзи рекох: О судбино божјо, зар ушче не се раскидају ланци петсто годишњи кои тижди нашиот народ маќедонски! Зар ушче је кљатва Адамова на македонског народа?

А Македонци вкусихом дух слободе, зато е всеки од нас решен умрети за чес и златну слободу, отколи живет ув ропство и азијатско тиранство. Нам е св. Отац задача и од бога и од људје: 1) Љубов, 2) Слога и 3) Единство. Зато, ако мислиш, возми четују и ела, време е!

Сос бога напрет, напролет одимо на Турском сви синове славомакедонски. Или вси ќе измреемо или ќе го издигнемо царството на Александар Маќедонски. Ево, ти пишем на руки и, ако си на умут и имаш воља, дојди!
    Either we will all die or we will re-commence the empire of Alexander of Macedon.

Letter 2, 8th January, 1879
    Предрагиј ми Деспоте,

Преди еден месец видох писмо ут твојот брат Кузман и му писах да дојде тука и да собери колку може поголема чета. Тогиз, кога му писах, азе ошче верувах за ошчо сме тргнати да се биеме за Маќедонијата. И не само азе, туку всите верувахме и бехме готови да мрееме: или слобода или смрт, трето нема. Ама не било така. Едно мислел волкот, а друго увчарот.

Неколку дена напрет дјаду владика Натанаил ми даде едно твое писмо. Прочитах го. Ти писуеш, Деспоте, како искаш добруволец и ветиш 1000-2000 добруволци. Тоа јет убаво и преубаво. Ама азе ќе ти речам да не идеш сос луѓе ваму, јер овде има нешто лошо. Ту Болгарите се подигравеат сос нас и вртат вода на своја вуденица заедно сос црнокапецот Натанаила, куј што е Маќедонец, ама повеќе тегли на болгарско.

Да ти кажем, еве сос чети чекаме толкоз време да врвим ув Турско и се биеме за нашата свобода, ама не поштает. Кладоја огон и сега искат поеќе тревога пред Јевропа. Еве, мојте војници се растурају полека, а и азе немат зошто да чекам.

Ако вистина имаш 1000 до 2000 добруволци, моли серпската влада да помогнит, есапам почовечни сет. Тугаш и јазе сос чета ќе дојда, а и другите чети ќе кренит и вси заедно да удрим на Турчин ут север.

Писмово мое не го давај никому, да не го најдит црнокапецот Натанаил.

Јави ми да зема со време мерки!
    ....I still believed in why we had departed to fight for Macedonia. And not only me, but we all believed and were ready to die, either liberty or death, third there was none.

Gorgi Pulevski was a Macedonian and a true warrior-poet, in every sense of the word, a legendary Macedonian figure during the rise of 19th century nationalism in the Balkans.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Just so you guys are aware, this is the same Despot Badzovic that Temko Popov had addressed in a letter during 1888.

Temko Popov (1855-1931), Macedonian Publicist May 9, 1888 Salonika My dear Despot, In the introduction to this letter I will tell you in advance that I will take the trouble to write you, inasfar as it is possible, in our tongue, substituting for those words which I do not know with Bulgarian ones. What else can be
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
      • Jan 2009

Gorgi Pulevski was a Macedonian and a true warrior-poet, in every sense of the word, a legendary Macedonian figure during the rise of 19th century nationalism in the Balkans.
      Best description this man could ever get in my opinion.
      Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

See the below link from Makedonika:

Question:
        What do we call a nation?

Answer:
        People who are of the same
        origin and who speak the same
        words and who live and make
        friends of each other, who have
        the same customs and songs and
        entertainment are what we call
        a nation, and the place where
        that people lives is called the
        people’s country. Thus the
        Macedonians also are a nation
        and the place which is theirs is
        called Macedonia.
        And in the Macedonian dialect he wrote in:

Narod se veljid, ljudi koji se od eden rod, i koji zboruvajed ednakov zbor, i koji, zhivuvajed i se drugarad eden, so , drugi, i koji, imajed, jednakvi obichaji i pesni i veselja, tije ljudite ji vikajed narod a mesto, vo koje zhivuvad narod se veljit otechestvo, od toi narod. Taka i Makedontsive se narod i mestovo njivno je Makedonija.

Comment

• Droog
          • Mar 2011

I don't know much about the person, but are these claims true to any extent? I like his definition so I suggest we commence a thought-provoking discussion. Say you're a member of any Balkans nation and a part of the people that previously considered themselves part of that nation decide to distance themselves from the rest, focus on their kinship as opposed to the wider kinship relations, consider their dialect a separate language and their folklore a separate folklore: would you then consider them a nation?
          Last edited by Droog; 05-23-2011, 04:02 AM.

Comment

• Daskalot
            • Sep 2008

Please tell us why you choose this source?
            Why do you like his definition?
            And do you read Bulgarian? If so please tell me what the text says.
            Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Droog
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Daskalot View Post
              Why do you like his definition?
              I mean the nation definition SoM quoted....

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Droog
                I don't know much about the person, but are these claims true to any extent?
                Does your Bulgarian author from 1992 cite his source? Or is the quick wikipedia check the limit of your search and knowledge of this topic? Even if it is genuine, it is not as 'damaging' as you or some Bulgarian 'historian' would like to suggest. And the rest of the life and literary works of Pulevski are testament enough to his character as a Macedonian. But, trust a disgruntled Albanian like yourself to enter this discussion by trying to raise doubt. Corroborate the source.
                I like his definition so I suggest we commence a thought-provoking discussion.
                That discussion has already taken place on another thread, this isn't the place for it. If you're trying to make a point with the rest of what you wrote, make it and save us the 'suspense'.

Comment

Working...
                X