X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraganOfStip
    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    Precisely. Deka and "dea" are used and "kade" was not even heard by me until later years.
    In the eastern part of the republic we also use "deka" instead of "kade".
    With the exception of the north - northeast region (Kumanovo,Kratovo,Kriva Palanka) where they use "kude".
    ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
    ― George Orwell

Comment

• sydney
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
      Well, not exactly. According to ancient sources Macedonians had converted Ph to B in SOME names (e.g. Pherenice, Berenice) and were writing it so, not just pronouncing it. Philip's name hadn't turned to Bilip.

By the way, ancient Greeks pronounced Ph (Φ) as V and B as... B, when modern Greeks pronounce Ph (Φ) as F and B as V. So Philip would sound as Vilip.

Lastly, Philip is written with one L as in Philology, Philosophy etc.

===
      I'm afraid you're incorrect to assert the Macedonians did not say Bilippos but rather Filippos. What makes you think this was not the case?

Comment

• Amphipolis
        Banned
        • Aug 2014

Some of the homoerotic pictures are genuine. I searched a lot about that interesting one with Zeus penetrating Ganymede in an awkward position under a shield with the Vergina Star and an inscription Eros Kalos (Good Love).

I didn’t manage to locate and confirm it so I don’t know if it is genuine or where it comes from. The guy in the face-book page seems to have zero credibility.
        It seems this is a modern fake.

Comment

• tchaiku
          • Nov 2016

Bump......

Comment

• Karposh
            • Aug 2015

I'm not sure who Lani Seelinger is or what her academic credentials are, or if she has any at all, but I stumbled onto this article of hers which I thought was very interesting indeed. Could it be that the foundations of the Slavic Migration Theory are starting to crumble and fall, which is not surprising at all, since they were always on shaky ground to begin with. Here's her list of the “10 Oldest Languages Still Spoken in The World Today”. The Macedonian language is number seven on the list. (I apologise if this article has made the rounds here before).

I should note that, following comments from Bulgarians, in obvious opposition to her assertions, she has included a footnote at the end of the Macedonian entry explaining the controversy and, to her credit, she is sticking to her guns.

I have no doubt that some of our Greek members on this forum will dig up information about Lani that portrays her claims as pseudo-science but it's still good to see that our views here are shared by others nevertheless.

Oldies and goodies: From ancient languages such as Hebrew to Tamil. Check out our list of the ten oldest languages in the world.

Comment

• Starling
              • Sep 2017

6th actually and yeah, there's a thread for it: http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...ead.php?t=8313

Still good to remind everyone about it though and it is relevant to this thread, so no harm reposting it, especially since it's been updated since then and as far as I can tell the other article in the footnote is new.

They always do that. Pretty much every other topic I've searched for has a page on that one propaganda site. Neo-nazis/Fascists don't have much room to talk about credentials. In any case given how long the article's been around they would've done it by now.
              Last edited by Starling; 12-05-2017, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                Banned
                • Aug 2014

Can someone provide a summary or inform us if there's anything interesting here? Is this the Rosetta Stone Professor or a new guy? What's with the Alexander picture?

Intervju vo utrinska emisija - JA SAKAM MAKEDONIJA na TV SITEL

Comment

• tchaiku
                  • Nov 2016

Ancient Macedonian Coins:

^This one looks like me.

Edit: Here it is:
                  I found a couple pictures of the same design on a Macedonian tetradrachm with different date ranges. 167-149 BC: 167-148 BC: 158-149 BC: 148-146 BC: P. 306 of this book (https://books.google.ca/books?id=xLc-AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA306&lpg=PA306&dq=diana+gazoria&source=bl&o
                  Last edited by tchaiku; 04-28-2018, 03:45 AM.

Comment

• Karposh
                    • Aug 2015

Can someone provide a summary or inform us if there's anything interesting here? Is this the Rosetta Stone Professor or a new guy? What's with the Alexander picture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPwCtCnEv2I
                    No, he's not the Rosetta Stone Professor but someone associated with him and his work on the stone. The discussion centres around the supposed deciphering of the Ancient Macedonian's writing system as depicted on the middle script of the Rosetta Stone, the so-called demotic script. My skepticism and doubts aside, there were a couple of things that this guy said that actually caught my attention. One of the things was when he quoted a medieval monk who described the pre-Christian Slavs as having used "strokes and incisions" as a type of writing system. The connection isn't difficult to see. The best way one could describe the middle text on the Rosetta Stone is precisely a "strokes and incisions" type of script.

Chernorizets Hrabar was a Bulgarian monk from the 9th Century AD and is (as far as is known) the author of only one literary work, "On the Letters" (Church Slavonic: О писмєньхъ, O pismenĭhŭ), one of the most admired and popular works of literature written in Old Church Slavonic. In it, Hrabar defends the right of the Cyrillic Alphabet to exist against its Greek critics and makes several suggestions as to how the alphabet can be further improved.

He also provided information critical to Slavonic palaeography with his mention that the pre-Christian Slavs employed "strokes and incisions" (Church Slavonic: чръты и рѣзы, črŭty i rězy), translated as "tallies and sketches" below) writing that was, apparently, insufficient to properly reflect the spoken language. It is thought that this may have been a form of runic script but no authentic examples are known to have survived...Or, have they? The suggestion is that the Rosetta Stone could well be one such surviving example.

Personally, I can't say that I'm even on the fence on this one as the risk to Macedonia is too great to be making such monumental announcements that the speech of the Ancient Macedonians has finally been deciphered. There's nothing wrong with investigating, analysing and thinking outside the box but I do think that these guys were way too premature in making their big announcement to the world and that perhaps they should have waited until their results had been properly recognised and accepted by world academia first before they began their grandstanding and making fools out of, not only themselves, but of all Macedonians as well. Who knows, they might have even been onto something if they hadn't rushed out into the limelight so quickly. Just out of curiosity, is anyone actually taking these guys seriously these days? I mean, from the various reputable institutions that deal with linguistics and palaeography? The whole Rosetta Stone thing seems to have died off over the past few years.

The other thing from this video that caught my attention, and perhaps has already been covered in this forum, was an apparent meeting between Aristotel Tentov and the Egyptian Minister of Antiquities where the Egyptian Minister allegedly admitted to Tentov that they have plenty of yet undeciphered papyrus scripts written in the demotic script just sitting there and waiting for Tentov and Co. to decipher since they have proven to have been successful in deciphering other similar scripts.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2014

You're relatively new to the forum. Take a look at these (the rosetta username is... mine again):

На Каменот од Розета карактеристики на битолскиот гов&

На Каменот од Розета карактеристики на битолскиот гов&

Comment

• tchaiku
                        • Nov 2016

Why did all Macedonians bear Greek names?

Comment

• Karposh
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by tchaiku View Post
                          Good one!!!

And not only that but also how come Alexander spread Greek culture and language instead of Slavic Macedonian culture and language? And don't forget the Olympics. How come Macedonians participated in the Olympics if foreigners were not allowed to participate in these games except for Greeks?

Comment

• tchaiku
                            • Nov 2016

What do placenames like Amphipolis, Phillipi etc mean?

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
                              • Apr 2014

What exactly is Greek about Philip and Alexander? Fairly common names in many languages, all of which are unrelated to Greek.

What do placenames like Amphipolis, Phillipi etc mean?
                              I believe Amphipolis means 'around the city' and Phillipi is just named after Filip II.
                              I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• tchaiku
                                • Nov 2016

Alexander and Philip comes from Greek.

"Ἀλέξανδρος" (Aléxandroş), meaning "defender of men" from "αλεξω" (alexo), meaning "to defend, help" and "ανηρ" (aner), meaning "man" (genitive "ανδρος").

Philip is a given name, derived from the Greek Φίλιππος (Philippos, lit. "horse-loving" or "fond of horses"), from a compound of φίλος (phílos, "dear", "loved", "loving") and ἵππος (hippos, "horse").

Comment

Working...
                                X