View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #22
Soldier of Macedon
Administrator

Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute

The proper family name is Mrnjavcev (Mrnyavchev) - To which Macedonians would add the an 'i' or 'tsi' as a suffix, and in Serbian the regular 'ic' or 'ici' suffix. I am not sure where it is evidenced, contemporary or otherwise, is there an inscription or document from his era that indicates the name?

When I am in Macedonia next year I will be making it a priority to visit the churches in Skopje, Prilep, Ohrid, etc, to view the monasteries where there may be frescoes of King Marko, perhaps they will be able to reveal some more information with regard to his family name.

I understand that often his family's background is claimed to be originally from Bosnia, do we have anything to corroborate this? I used to go to school with a Bosnian kid called Uglesa (The name of King Marko's uncle) and a Serbian friend told me that such names are not common in Serbia as they are in Bosnia, so I assume this is quite possible.