• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Republic of North Macedonia - Vaknin

03 Jun 2009

On August 26, 2008, I published an article titled Greek-American Plan to Resolve Macedonia's Name Issue?. In it, I described an American plan to resolve the name dispute between Macedonia and Greece (see note at the bottom of the first section of this article).

The Plan included five elements: (1) Macedonia will change its constitutional name to Northern Macedonia ("The Republic of North Macedonia"); (2) Macedonia will be granted a transition period to amend its constitution and to alter its registered name with various international and multilateral institutions; (3) Macedonia will be issued an invitation to join NATO; (4) Both countries will be allowed to use the adjective "Macedonian" (both commercially and non-commercially); (5) The parties will renounce any and all claims to each other's territory.

Sure enough, weeks later, Matthew Nimetz, the UN mediator in the name issue published essentially the very same plan. It was promptly rejected by both parties.

Macedonia has hitherto been literally invisible on the Obama's Administration's list of priorities. But this is fast changing. Obama and Clinton still regard the Balkans as essentially a European problem. But, as they tackle the Middle-East head-on, the last thing they need is a "second front" with restive minorities in Bosnia-Herzegovina, or Macedonia. Additionally, countries like Macedonia and Israel are now bound to pay the price for having been staunch supporters of Republican administrations in general, and George Bush in particular.

The Obama Administration will shortly appoint a Balkans Envoy, a person well-known and little-liked in Macedonia for his coarse interference in its internal affairs. His job will be twofold: to calm passions down in Bosnia, if necessary through well-timed and much-publicized arrests and to force both Macedonia and Greece to accept the above-mentioned five-points plan. The USA will not take "no" for an answer and will set a strict timetable for the resolution of the name issue and a NATO invitation by yearend.

Macedonia doesn't stand a chance of resisting such an onslaught. It will be forced into a humiliating retreat. Prime Minister Gruevski can use the country's new President, Gjorge Ivanov, as a scapegoat and "blame" him for any painful compromises Macedonia may be forced to make. But this gimmick won't work: Macedonian s widely (and wrongly) perceive Ivanov to be Gruevski's puppet.

Gruevski will go to a referendum on any compromise struck with Greece. It would be an unwise move, though: If the citizenry rejects the suggested deal, Gruevski will be faced with two stark alternatives: (1) To be the Prime Minister of a disintegrating country (as the Albanians will surely seek to secede from Macedonia or to federalize it, one way or the other); or (2) To lose his job altogether (as the Americans will surely seek to change the regime and depose him, as it has done in 2001-2 when it actively and successfully sought to unseat Ljupco Georgievski).

Following the country's ill-advised early elections in June, 2008, the right-wing VMRO-DPMNE was coerced by the international community (read: the EU and the USA) into joining forces with DUI, the political incarnation of erstwhile Albanian insurgents in the northwest of Macedonia, hitherto an anathema as far as Gruevski was concerned.

Hopping to bed with DUI will likely restrain the government's freedom of action. Every concession to Greece will be portrayed by jingoistic nationalists in Macedonia as capitulation and the consequence of blackmail by the Albanian parties. To the great consternation of the Macedonians, Albania, Macedonia's neighbor, has been invited to join NATO and its economy is growing even in the face of the global crisis. The restive Albanians of Macedonia would like to accede to the Alliance as soon as practicable and at all costs. Understandably, they are less attached to the country's constitutional name than the non-Albanian (Macedonian) majority.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Venom
      • Sep 2008

Is Sam still around?

Does anyone care what Sam has to say?

Sam if you were so smart and such a great economist, you wouldn't have been booted from your job. We all understand sour grapes mate, but now you're just boring.
      S m r t - i l i - S l o b o d a

Comment

• Rogi
        • Sep 2008

Honestly, I think everything he has written above is just about spot on to what is happening.

I think in the end the 5 point plan above will be what happens (perhaps without point 2, or without the requirement to change the name in the Constitution - as a ploy to trick the people and help it pass in a referendum).

Comment

• Maxim
          • May 2009

north macedonia is ok
          http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/w...73-450x451.jpg

Comment

• Rogi
            • Sep 2008

To whom? Not to me. I'm just a Macedonian, that's what I intend to go buy for the rest of my life and, if memory of me survives, beyond my life.

Comment

• Daskalot
              • Sep 2008

North Macedonia is not OK, because then the Greeks can continue their negation of the ethnic Macedonians in and outside of Greek borders by calling them North Macedonians thus Slavs whom have no connection to Ancient Macedonia which is "Greek" because today's inhabitants in Greek annexed Macedonia are Greeks which then justifies their right to the land.

Simple isnt it?
              Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Maxim
                • May 2009

as long as there are people like you macedonia will stay small poor and shall be conquered
                http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/w...73-450x451.jpg

Comment

• Daskalot
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Maxim View Post
                  as long as there are people like you macedonia will stay small poor and shall be conquered
                  I think you should watch your mouth, what kind of Macedonian would say such a stupid thing? No real Macedonian but rather a importer. Vasco are you taking your medication?
                  Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• MapleLeaf1
                    • Sep 2008

Its sad too see someone say that, and if you truly live in Macedonia its even sadder

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Maxim View Post
                      north macedonia is ok
                      Why is it ok?
                      I look forward to your reply.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• King Makedon
                        • Apr 2009

As I posted earlier only if ever a namechange will happen.
                        Only "The Free Republic of Macedonia" not more.
                        ]
                        The world belongs to Macedonia. Macedonia does not belong to the world, especially not to Macedonia's neighbouring countries.
                        [/SIZE]

Comment

• Jankovska
                          • Sep 2008

I have a weird feeling that this is what is going to happen. With a goverment like ours and a diaspora who can't agree on anything I think we are lucky to be left with Severna Makedonia/

Comment

• palatica
                            • Oct 2008

Why not rename our Country into Vardar Macedonia, but the kalimeros must rename their part into Egej Macedonia.
                            Even it makes no difference to the kalimeros if we change our name or not, they will never recognise us macedonians, but we can use the "Egej" and "Vardar" prefix to solve some problems with the tatars, if they make some trouble with their "party" RATKO.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

None of these name changes are necessary until the Macedonian part of Greece secedes from Greece. Any other talk of compromise is silly.
                              Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                              X