# Title: [Imperial military middle school, Monastir(Bitola)]
    # Date Created/Published: [between 1880 and 1893]

# Title: Court house, Monastir(Bitola)
    # Date Created/Published: [no date recorded on caption card]

# Title: [Students, imperial military middle school, Monastir(Bitola)]

# Title: [Students, imperial military middle school, Monastir(Bitola)]

# Title: [Studio portrait of models wearing traditional clothing from the province of Selanik(Salonica), Ottoman Empire]
    # Date Created/Published: [1873]
    # Summary: From Left to Right: Chief Rabbi of Selanik(Salonica), Bourgeois from Monastir(Bitola), Muslim Reverend(hoca) of Selanik(Salonica).

# Title: Uskub - King Servia - Welcomed by mayor
    # Date Created/Published: [between ca. 1910 and ca. 1915]
    # Summary: Photo shows Peter I, King of Serbia(at left in center) in Skopje, Macedonia.

# Title: King Servia at Uskub
    # Date Created/Published: [between ca. 1910 and ca. 1915]
    # Summary: Photo shows Peter I, King of Serbia(at left in center) in Skopje, Macedonia.

# Title: Bird's-eye view of large group of Macedonian insurgents posed
    # Date Created/Published: [1912 or 1913]
    Last edited by Onur; 04-06-2010, 10:32 AM.
  • Serdarot
    • Feb 2010

great pictures

can you please try find / write more about the last picture?

and for those made in Bitolja / Monastir

also, where can be found the list of students who visited the Turkish Emperial military schools?

how much of the Archives (defterlar) from the Empire are kept?
    Bratot:
    Никој не е вечен, а каузава не е нова само е адаптирана на новите услови и ќе се пренесува и понатаму.

Comment

• Onur
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Serdarot View Post
      great pictures

can you please try find / write more about the last picture?

and for those made in Bitolja / Monastir

also, where can be found the list of students who visited the Turkish Emperial military schools?

how much of the Archives (defterlar) from the Empire are kept?

Sorry, this is all info i have about last one.

AFAIK, These are some of buildings at Monastir, made by Turks. Especially the high school at 1st picture looks quite big and beautiful as well

Military school photos are taken when the students graduated. You can see their diplomas in their hands. Its not possible to know their ethnicity because after the Janissary system abolished at 1826, all the citizens of the Empire could go to military schools and be a soldier of the Empire. So, these students can be Greek, Turkish, Macedonian or maybe Bulgarian but to my knowledge, the students of the school at Bitola are probably muslim or Christian Macedonians, at least most of them. Maybe you can guess their ethnicity if you look for their names at the archival documents.

I think about %90 of archival documents of the empire from 1300 to 1923 still available today and i know, the authorities of that times was quite rigorous for note down every detail. I know that we even have the court decision of most of divorcements in all ottoman empire lands as early as 18th century. So, i am quite sure there are lists of graduated students at schools in Ottoman archives in Ankara, Turkey.

I also wrote a message here about Turkish archives;

http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=46063#post46063
      Last edited by Onur; 04-06-2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Onur
        • Apr 2010

I found an interesting illustrations drawn by a French traveler named Nicolas de Nicolay. These are dated as 1551. He has been traveled in Balkans and Anatolia, he also wrote a memoir too.

A French lady of higher class;

Greek lady(middle or higher class) in Pera, Istanbul;

Greek woman in a village;

A woman from Macedonia;

Greek merchant;

A Turkish lady of higher class;

A Turkish woman with two kids of her;

A prostitute in Istanbul;

Greek or Bulgar woman in Edirne, Thrace;

A woman from Karaman(Karamanlides), central Anatolia;

A Turkish woman with her daily clothes;

A novice(acemi) Janissary soldier;

A merchant from Dubrovnik;

A postman from Dubrovnik;

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Onur
          Its not possible to know their ethnicity because after the Janissary system abolished at 1826, all the citizens of the Empire could go to military schools and be a soldier of the Empire.
          This is true, I would say that a number of the VMORO fighters undertook military training within the empire, and some of them were friends (or former friends) with their later Ottoman adversaries. Excellent photos by the way.
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

Does anyone know where you can see pictures of the old chettasetc in the 1900's in the ohrid regions???If so can you whack them here.
            Last edited by George S.; 03-08-2011, 12:02 AM. Reason: ed
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Redsun
              • Jul 2013

I cant make out what has been placed below their feet in that last picture. Is that a priest first row, center?

Comment

• Carlin
                • Dec 2011

Михаил Хандури (Mihail Handuri), Георги Гаки Доду (Ioryi Gachu-Dodi), Косту Дабижа (Costu Dabija), Наки Кузман (Nachi Cuzman), Христа Преш (Hrista Presh), Таки Динчa (Tachi Dincea), Ванчо Дамаш (Uncea Damash) и Никола Макри (Coli Makri).

Vlach cheta of VMRO - Voden region 1906.

Vlach cheta of Кола Нича (Cola Nicea) - VMRO, 1907.
                Last edited by Carlin; 05-21-2018, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Wonder where the Vlachs of Voden ended up.
                  Carlin, safe to assume you have Vlach heritage?
                  Risto the Great
                  MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                  "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Carlin
                    • Dec 2011

THE AROMANIANS AND IMRO, by Nikola Minov

URL:

- Another form of cooperation between IMRO and the Aromanians was the supply of weapons to bands in west Macedonia, regularly conducted by Aromanians. Experienced merchants and muleteers, harmless nomads and fluent Greek speakers, the Aromanians were the most natural choice to supply the western Macedonian regions with weapons from Greece. In kaza Kastoria the arms trafficking was conducted by the Aromanians Hristo Gyamov, Nako Doykov, brothers Todor and Kicio Levenda from Kastoria, brothers Ioryi and Mitre Bijov from Argos Orestiko, Vasil Mitrov and Ioryi Vasilev from Krustallopigi and Naum Pangiaru from Makrochori. The guns in Kruševo were transported from Greece by the local Aromanians: Cola Boiagi, Tega Hertu, Petre Pare, Vanghiu Beluvce, Vanghiu Makshut, Tachi Liapu and Tachi Ashlak, as well as Zisi Mihali, Steriu Tanas, Steriu Taho and Andrea Kendro from the village Trnovo (arom. Tărnuva) near Bitola. In some cases these gun smugglers were devoted workers of the Organization. Some of them, though, worked strictly for profit. However, we will emphasize what the Florina regional band leader Mihail Chekov said about the Aromanian “smugglers”. After the disastrous ending of the Ilinden Uprising, Chekov paid two Turkish lira to three Aromanian nomads from Vlasti to take him over the Greco-Turkish border. After numerous vicissitudes, when the vojvod had been at times dressed in female clothes, hidden among the horses and presented as their shepherd, the three Aromanians successfully transported Chekov to Greece. Impressed by the risk taken by his saviors, he wrote: “On the road I understood that the Vlachs weren’t helping me for the two lira. They helped me because they sympathized with us”.

- A much more effective organization of Aromanian bands can be noticed after the Aromanian committees in Bucharest (led by Alexandar Coshca and Steriu Milior) and Sofia (led by Ioryi Mucitano) got in touch with IMRO’s leaders who were stationed in the Bulgarian capital. Organized by Gjorce Petrov and led by Ioryi Mucitano, the first Aromanian band in IMRO arrived on Macedonian soil on August 29th 1906, coming from Sofia via the post in Kyustendil, with logistic help from IMRO’s local committees. In cooperation with the other IMRO bands, Mucitano’s band, later led by Mihail Handuri, acted for almost two years in the Edessa, Giannitsa and Veria regions. According to one of the band members, Costu Dabija, the band carried a seal with the words “Vlach Veria-Vodena band of IMRO Centralists”.

- On April 27th 1907 two more Aromanian bands entered Macedonia via the Kyustendil post. The first one, led by “the chief leader of the Macedo-Romanian bands”, Alexandar Coshca, was sent to act near Bitola, but after a month it was destroyed by army forces. Four of the Aromanian fighters, including Alexandar Coshca, were killed in action.

- The most prominent Aromanian vojvodi in the Kruševo-Bitola region were educated in Romanian schools: Ioryi Mucitano graduated from the Romanian school in Sofia, Alexandar Coshca graduated from the Romanian Lyceum in Bitola and continued his education in Bucharest, while the family of the famous leader of the Ilinden Uprising, Pitu Guli, belonged to the Romanian commune in Kruševo (НИКОЛОВ, 2001: 111; ТОПУЗОВСКИ, 2003: 20). Todor Boriar, who took part in the Ilinden Uprising, makes a clear distinction between the Greek and the Romanian supporters in Kruševo. No matter if the Greek supporters were Aromanians or Macedonian Patriarchists, he calls all of them Greeks, while the Romanian supporters are called Vlachs. When he talks about the Aromanian revolutionaries in Kruševo, Boriar always uses the terms “Vlachs” and “Vlach groups”, clearly highlighting their allegiance to the Romanian party (АО ИНИ, ТОДОР БОРЈАР: passim).

- The pro-Romanian group in Kruševo tried to separate from IMRO as well, and to form an independent band led by Vanciu Gione, but were not even allowed to start the preparations since their plan would have further decomposed the front against the various foreign propaganda in Macedonia. This is what Nikola Kirov-Mayski says about this event: “The Vlachs formed a committee without consulting us and they managed to find money from Romania to form an independent band. They planned to appoint Vanciu Gione as a leader of this band. The members of the committee Vanghiu Petrescu and Nicolachi Baliu asked for my permission, promising that (Vanciu Ghione’s band) will fight against the Serbs and the Greeks out of Kruševo, while a band based in Kruševo, led by Vanghiu Petrashincu will fight (against the same enemies) inside the town. In the name of the Organization I told them that the Vlach element is plotting against IMRO with this action. (I told them that) IMRO protected them all this time and if they do not disband their organization right away, they are throwing us the glove and they are opening a front against us… My threat scared the Vlachs and they disbanded their organization” (КИРОВЪ-МАЙСКИ: 50-51).
                    Last edited by Carlin; 06-07-2018, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X