• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Niko777
    • Oct 2010

Greece Forces Macedonian Villages to Cancel Festivals

Google Translate from Greek

Events in Meglen are canceled because of the participation of orchestras singing in local idiom

Second case within a week that a cultural event in Meglen/Almopia is canceled because at the folk feast it was planned to take part an orchestra singing in the local idiom. For the Associations there is no official announcement, but according to information they have been strongly pressured to cancel events with this particular orchestra. Clubs seem to have preferred to cancel the events (instead of changing the orchestra)

Article in Greek: https://aridaia-gegonota.blogspot.co....html?spref=fb
  • Solun
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
    Google Translate from Greek

Events in Meglen are canceled because of the participation of orchestras singing in local idiom

Second case within a week that a cultural event in Meglen/Almopia is canceled because at the folk feast it was planned to take part an orchestra singing in the local idiom. For the Associations there is no official announcement, but according to information they have been strongly pressured to cancel events with this particular orchestra. Clubs seem to have preferred to cancel the events (instead of changing the orchestra)

Article in Greek: https://aridaia-gegonota.blogspot.co....html?spref=fb
    So sad.

One can only hope that the people of North Korea one day get to be free

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

Where is the EU and their so-called values? How ironic that we are now, in the 21st century, seeing a regression in Greek politics as far as Macedonian rights go. How much longer until they physically threaten the local population against speaking the Macedonian language in general? I wonder how the Macedonians in the Aegean will react to this? Will they show courage and stand their ground? Or will they submit to those racist animals who are imposing this rubbish on them?
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Karposh
        • Aug 2015

From the same Greek article, this is a comment that Trajanos Pasois (a Macedonian activist in Greece) left with regard to the brand new repressive measures against the Macedonians by the Greeks. I used Google Translate too but the translation is terrible. You can still make out the gist of what he's saying though. I might have misread it but, what I took out of it was that, certain cultural clubs (i.e Pontian) in Aegean Macedonia are spearheading the attack on the ethnic Macedonians and their village festivals, especially with 20th July (old calendar Ilinden) quickly approaching. "In the case of racist discouragement, the locals who do not react are also responsible. If they continue to do so sooner or later they will be chummy and Pontian". This sentence to me is quite clear: If the local Macedonians don't raise their voices in protest over this then they're just as responsible as the Pontian cunts that are inhibiting the local Macedonian culture.

The EU whore knows all too well about the oppressed Macedonians in one of their member states but their values don't apply to them. These values which they hold so highly and champion so fervently, only apply to poofters, dykes, trannies and Albanians.

I am also one of those who were watching to incubate the snake's egg and they were living. The use of cultural and sports clubs for politicians, especially for nationalistic and racist purposes, is characteristic of fascist regimes. The international agreements signed by Greece forced her to stop any action against any ethnic or cultural culture. Unfortunately, this work was undertaken by some fascists using the cultural clubs. Here is a guided cultural federation (WIPO). Cultural societies in democracies promote traditional culture and collaborations with other minority cultures. Here we have the case where cultural clubs participate in the attack against the local Macedonian culture with main weapons slander, lie, mopping. Unfortunately, some local media are also involved in this dirty war. Unfortunately, these instruments are politically and economically supported by a large number of political actors and the population, and do not hide behind our refugee finger. If this racist attack does not stop sooner or later a part of the locals will break out uncontrollably. In the case of racist discouragement, the locals who do not react are also responsible. If they continue to do so sooner or later they will be chummy and Pontian. Cultural clubs in the area will well stop crawling behind all kinds of criminals and deal with what their statutes lay down. And if they really want to call real democratic cultural associations to help local clubs to eliminate fear and cultivate their traditional culture without restrictions. Macedonia was divided by powerful armies and great powers and you will not save it by pursuing the local traditional culture

Comment

• Solun
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
          Where is the EU and their so-called values? How ironic that we are now, in the 21st century, seeing a regression in Greek politics as far as Macedonian rights go. How much longer until they physically threaten the local population against speaking the Macedonian language in general? I wonder how the Macedonians in the Aegean will react to this? Will they show courage and stand their ground? Or will they submit to those racist animals who are imposing this rubbish on them?
          To be honest I was surprised at the way the Lerin Mayor spoke to the Macedonian media at Nivici. He would not have been able to speak like that if he was with another mainstream party and not with Syriza. But then again we constantly hear Tsipras telling his domestic media he will never recognise a Macedonian nation. What chance you think the Ilinden celebration in Ovcharani has this year? I see it as highly likely Golden Dawn along with local 'izrodi' will look to stop the event.

Comment

• Niko777
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Solun View Post
            To be honest I was surprised at the way the Lerin Mayor spoke to the Macedonian media at Nivici. He would not have been able to speak like that if he was with another mainstream party and not with Syriza.
            That wasn' the mayor, that was the MP for Lerin Kosta Seltsis. The mayor is Giannis Voskopoulos, first cousin to Pavle, and is from the far right Nea Demokratia Party. He never speaks Macedonian under any circumstances. In fact Giannis went as far as creating the annual "Pan-Macedonian Festival" in Rosen just to cause damage to Ovcharani's festival. The one in Rosen is basically a propaganda display with Vlachs and Arvanites bused in from across the country to show the "Greekness" of Macedonia, it's always held one week before Ovcharani.

The recent events in Meglen are unfortunate. Meglen is 50% Pontian and are heavily pro Nea Demokratia and against the Syriza government

Comment

• Solun
              • Sep 2012

That wasn' the mayor, that was the MP for Lerin Kosta Seltsis. The mayor is Giannis Voskopoulos, first cousin to Pavle, and is from the far right Nea Demokratia Party. He never speaks Macedonian under any circumstances. In fact Giannis went as far as creating the annual "Pan-Macedonian Festival" in Rosen just to cause damage to Ovcharani's festival. The one in Rosen is basically a propaganda display with Vlachs and Arvanites bused in from across the country to show the "Greekness" of Macedonia, it's always held one week before Ovcharani.

The recent events in Meglen are unfortunate. Meglen is 50% Pontian and are heavily pro Nea Demokratia and against the Syriza government
              Thanks for the correction, yes I was referring to Lerin MP Seltsis. I was surprised by the manner in which he spoke to the Macedonian media. What I wasn't surprised about was the way he was subsequently treated by his own domestic media.

Comment

Working...
              X