• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevce
    • Jan 2016

Mask of Hercules

Hi guys, I have a question. On the bottom of this webpage

it shows a head piece from the museum of Bitola, which is apparently the mask of Hercules. My question is if it is a Lion then why are the teeth on the headpiece that of a canine? Instead of a Lion. I heard ancient Macedonians held wolves and the Sarplaninac dog in high regard. Or could it be the Macedonian equivalent of Anubis?

Any clarification or explanation on this head piece would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Stevce View Post
    My question is if it is a Lion then why are the teeth on the headpiece that of a canine?
    Hi Stevce, welcome to the forum. I assume you're referring to the image near the bottom of that webpage. Why do you say that the teeth are that of a canine on the headpiece? Is it because the two upper cuspid teeth (the so-called "canine" teeth) are not long enough or for some other reason?
    I heard ancient Macedonians held wolves and the Sarplaninac dog in high regard.
    I have heard some people say that and even suggest that some of the art from antiquity depicts this dog instead of a lion. But I haven't done any research into it. It wouldn't be too difficult to accept the possibility given that this breed of dog originated in Macedonia.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Karposh
      • Aug 2015

This might be of interest.

In Macedonia exist black shepherd dog which is mentioned in the Macedonian folk literature. That dog is called Karaman. It still exists but in modest number ...

Comment

• Stevce
        • Jan 2016

Hi Soilder of Macedon. You are correct I am referring to the image at the bottom. My girlfriend is a seeing eye dog instructor and she pointed out to me that to her they looked like canine teeth not lion teeth. I was interested to see if anyone else noticed something similar. According to my girl friend the teeth are canines because the two upper cuspid and the lower ones are to to short and closer to the other teeth., and that the other teeth are flat and underneath those flat teeth is hair because of the different angles.
        Last edited by Stevce; 04-19-2016, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• Stevce
          • Jan 2016

Thanks for the youtube clip Karposh very interesting.

Comment

Working...
          X