• Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Carlin15 View Post
    Also,
    8 Football Legends Uncover Their Origins with MyHeritage DNA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKN7jHk1jn0
    I found this quite uplifting. Maybe I am getting older. I don't quite see Greeks as the enemies I used to see. I see Macedonians who don't assert their identity and I blame them more than anybody else for our current predicament. But ultimately, we are indeed humans and if perhaps in some instances, I think we could prioritise humanity above anything else.

Namaste.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Carlin
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
      I found this quite uplifting. Maybe I am getting older. I don't quite see Greeks as the enemies I used to see. I see Macedonians who don't assert their identity and I blame them more than anybody else for our current predicament. But ultimately, we are indeed humans and if perhaps in some instances, I think we could prioritise humanity above anything else.

Namaste.
      Alleluia!

Comment

• Amphipolis
        Banned
        • Aug 2014

@Amphipolis - as I have already shared previously, I am J2a-M92 clade.
        I don’t get this. How can you be J2M3L4 something when DNA results break down your ancestry (as far as I can see) to 7 generations ago, i.e. 128 different ancestors. Actually most tests can go even further it seems, but they don’t, probably because the customers are not interested in tiny-tiny percentages like “you’re 0,001% Nigerian”.

Thus most results I saw stop at 1/128th which is presented as <1% and some go to 1/256.

Also, I learnt something new. Every child inherits 50% of DNA from father and 50% from mother. Now, the rest 50% of each (father and mother) is lost, not inherited. That doesn’t mean that your father can be 50% Irish-50% Nigerian and you can inherit solely the Irish part. Yet, it means there will be small differences between siblings (hopefully less than 3-5%).

This is presented here on two Irish twin sisters.

"Finding Your Roots" campers make predictions about their genetic ancestry and then open their individual DNA test results to find out for certain. Watch ...

Comment

• Amphipolis
          Banned
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post

Also, I learnt something new. Every child inherits 50% of DNA from father and 50% from mother. Now, the rest 50% of each (father and mother) is lost, not inherited. That doesn’t mean that your father can be 50% Irish-50% Nigerian and you can inherit solely the Irish part. Yet, it means there will be small differences between siblings (hopefully less than 3-5%).
          I take that back. It can actually be much worse.

Comment

• Carlin
            • Dec 2011

I don’t get this. How can you be J2M3L4 something when DNA results break down your ancestry (as far as I can see) to 7 generations ago, i.e. 128 different ancestors. Actually most tests can go even further it seems, but they don’t, probably because the customers are not interested in tiny-tiny percentages like “you’re 0,001% Nigerian”.

Thus most results I saw stop at 1/128th which is presented as <1% and some go to 1/256.

This is presented here on two Irish twin sisters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M7YqYBUHRM
            My bad - I didn't explain this at all.

J2a-M92 (or J2a1b1) is my Y-DNA or y-chromosome haplogroup, which is passed from father to son virtually unchanged (males can trace their patrilineal / male-line ancestry by testing their y-chromosome). I was able to get my Y-DNA by extracting the raw data results I received from ancestry, and then transferring it/running it through here for free https://www.morleydna.com/ - to find out my Y-DNA.

Links about Y-DNA, mtDNA and Autosomal DNA tests:

Have you ever wondered why you would want to test your Y DNA? What would a Y DNA test tell you about which ancestors? What would it mean to you and how would it help your genealogy? If you&#8217;re like &#8230;

As explained above If you’re like most genealogists, you want to know every single tidbit you can discover about your ancestors – and Y DNA not only tells males about people they match that are currently living and share ancestors with them at some point in time, but it also reaches back beyond the range of what genealogy in the traditional sense can tell us – past the time when surnames were adopted, peering into the misty veil of the past!

If you aren’t a male, you can’t directly test your Y DNA, because you don’t have a Y chromosome, but that’s OK, because your father or brother or another family member who does carry the same Y chromosome (and surname) as your father may well be willing to test.
            Last edited by Carlin; 08-30-2018, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• Carlin
              • Dec 2011

FYI - I'd like to share a quick update.

I just logged into my ancestrydna account and ancestry updated their records/database by additional 16,000 reference samples. As they themselves explain:

"Since AncestryDNA first launched, we've continued to add new regions and improve the precision of your results. DNA research is a fast-paced, cutting-edge field, and you can expect us to make more advancements as DNA science evolves."

As a result of this update, I am now at 76% "Greece and the Balkans" > subregion "Greece, Turkey & Albania". Ancestry also made changes to their 'maps' and how certain countries/regions are classified. For example, now it's "Greece and the Balkans" on its own and Macedonia is listed as one of the primary locations. I am also now 24% "Eastern Europe and Russia" (which seems to have a different look and name).

Ancestry no longer lists Caucasus, Middle East, Europe West, etc. within my genetic makeup/estimate at all. They've been taken out completely.
              Last edited by Carlin; 09-14-2018, 12:14 AM.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                Banned
                • Aug 2014

Is it true you can download your DNA decoding and upload it in different sites/companies? (for free in some cases)

Comment

• maco2envy
                  • Jan 2015

FYI - I'd like to share a quick update.

I just logged into my ancestrydna account and ancestry updated their records/database by additional 16,000 reference samples. As they themselves explain:

"Since AncestryDNA first launched, we've continued to add new regions and improve the precision of your results. DNA research is a fast-paced, cutting-edge field, and you can expect us to make more advancements as DNA science evolves."

As a result of this update, I am now at 76% "Greece and the Balkans" > subregion "Greece, Turkey & Albania". Ancestry also made changes to their 'maps' and how certain countries/regions are classified. For example, now it's "Greece and the Balkans" on its own and Macedonia is listed as one of the primary locations. I am also now 24% "Eastern Europe and Russia" (which seems to have a different look and name).

Ancestry no longer lists Caucasus, Middle East, Europe West, etc. within my genetic makeup/estimate at all. They've been taken out completely.
                  Picture? (like print screen)

Comment

• Carlin
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by maco2envy View Post
                    Picture? (like print screen)

Comment

• Carlin
                      • Dec 2011

Is it true you can download your DNA decoding and upload it in different sites/companies? (for free in some cases)
                      Yes, you can download your Raw DNA Data from ancestrydna for free. I'm not sure if it can be uploaded to different company sites - perhaps the answer is yes but I don't know.

Comment

• maco2envy
                        • Jan 2015

Thanks Carlin . I wonder why they still don't mention us for the subregion.

Also to Amphi, GEDmatch is one website which you can upload your raw DNA file to for analysis.

Comment

• Carlin
                          • Dec 2011

Thanks Carlin . I wonder why they still don't mention us for the subregion.

Also to Amphi, GEDmatch is one website which you can upload your raw DNA file to for analysis.
                          No prob. Summary on the Region from the Ancestry site -

Greece and the Balkans

Primarily located in: Albania, Greece, Macedonia, Kosovo
                          Also found in: Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Turkey

Located along Europe’s southern edge, our Greece and the Balkans region rises from beautiful seashores to lands broken by rugged mountains. In fact, Balkan is related to the Turkish and Bulgarian words for a chain of mountains. For centuries the divided lands of this region have seen a clash of peoples, cultures, religions, and ideas. The Greeks, founders of Western civilization, were followed by the Romans and then the Christians. Bulgars and Slavs arrived in the 6th century, and later came Islam and the Ottoman Turks, creating a mix of peoples and nations as varied as the landscape.

Classical Beginnings

The early names associated with our Greece and the Balkans region come straight from the pages of classical antiquity: Illyria, Thrace, Greece, Macedon. From about 900 B.C., Greeks migrated to the west coast of Anatolia, establishing colonies that eventually united to form Ionia. Athens and Ionia became the birthplace of the classical Greek civilization, and the 8th century B.C. saw the development of the Greek alphabet and the first Olympic Games. Traditionally, the Albanians claim their heritage comes from the Illyrians, who lived northward along the Adriatic coast, where they were known as able pirates and fierce warriors who often fought with the Greeks.

Rome

A series of wars with the Illyrians (229-168 B.C.) brought the western Balkans into the Roman Empire. Greece followed, and by the first century A.D., the entire peninsula was under Roman rule. Romans admired Greek culture, and Greek was spoken throughout the eastern empire and in Italy. Many Italians went to Athens to attend its university and see the architecture and sculpture, and Greek intellectuals worked in Rome. Illyrian warriors served in Roman legions, and Rome even had Illyrian emperors. Another shaping force in the region’s future arrived in the first century A.D. with Christianity. Greece and the Balkans ended up in the Byzantine Empire after the fall of Rome, where the Orthodox Church became more prominent than Roman Catholicism in most of the region.

Slavs and the Byzantine Empire

As Roman rule weakened, newcomers made their way into the Balkan Peninsula from the east. Some, like the Goths and Huns, came as raiding parties. But starting in the 6th century, the Slavs came to stay. They included Serbs, Slovenes, and Croats. They were followed by the Bulgars—a Turkic people from Central Asia—who founded two empires in the Balkans. As the newcomers moved in, many locals fled coastal lands for the mountains, where they became herders instead of farmers. Byzantine Greeks lived throughout Asia Minor, the Greek Islands, and parts of the southern Balkans. They spoke medieval Greek, practiced Christianity, and identified as Romans. Olive groves and vineyards were common, and bread, wine, and olives were staple foods.

The Ottomans

After moving through the Balkans in the late 14th century, Ottoman forces took Constantinople after a siege in 1453. Athens fell three years later. Many Greek intellectuals fled to western Europe, which helped usher in the Renaissance. Others moved to the mountains, where the Ottomans had a harder time ruling and collecting taxes. Christian peasants bore a heavy tax burden in Greece, and as the economy declined, many were forced out of cities to take up subsistence farming. However, the Greeks still prospered in commerce and shipping. Albania was changed in two dramatic ways by the Ottoman advance. The mountainous terrain allowed Albanian resistance leader Skanderbeg to withstand the Ottomans for more than 20 years, giving Albania a national hero and point of national pride. The second change came later, as a majority of Albanians, particularly in the south, converted to Islam.

Independence and Emigration

Greece had staged revolts against the Ottomans before, but the revolution that started in 1821 ended in Greek independence in 1832. Greece wasn’t alone, as independence movements spread throughout the Balkans. Bulgarian nationalism was on the rise, and an independent Bulgarian state formed in 1878. Most of Bulgaria's land belonged to small farmers, and peasants made up most of the population, but as it entered the 20th century, the country promoted modernization and education, and many peasants moved to cities for work. Meanwhile, the lands around the Aegean were home to both subsistence farmers and coastal traders who raised and sold silk, olive oil, wool, currants, wine, and grain. War over territory continued in Greece and the Balkan states almost until WWI, and Albanian independence would not come until 1912. Economic crises led about a sixth of Greece’s population to emigrate between 1890 and 1914, and the United States and Egypt both become home to large Greek populations.
                          Last edited by Carlin; 09-16-2018, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• maco2envy
                            • Jan 2015

New regions:

Old regions:

Pretty interesting how the eastern european admixture now stretches all the way to kazakhstan.

Comment

• Carlin
                              • Dec 2011

New regions:

Old regions:

Pretty interesting how the eastern european admixture now stretches all the way to kazakhstan.
                              Ethnicity FAQ

What might change?
                              Your percentages for a region could change. Some new regions could appear. Some old regions, especially low-percentage regions, could disappear. Or you might not see much change at all.

You could see new regions.
                              When AncestryDNA launched in 2012, we compared your DNA against 22 possible regions. We now have more than 380.

Previous Region vs. New Regions

What if you don't have data for a region my ancestors come from?

AncestryDNA ethnicity estimates are based on available data. So what happens when we don't have much data about a region? Here's a current example. We don't have enough data right now to support separate regions for Laos, Cambodia, or Thailand. Until we get more data, people from those countries will typically see a mix of China, Southeast Asia—Dai (Tai), and Southeast Asia—Vietnam in their results.

Two more things to keep in mind. First, some populations do not differ enough at a genetic level to emerge as separate groups. Second, countries change over time, and boundaries on a map today do not necessarily represent genetic boundaries, so there may be population groups or countries that never fall into a single region.

Genetic Communities™ White Paper: Predicting fine-scale ancestral origins from the genetic sharing patterns among millions of individuals

Comment

• Carlin
                                • Dec 2011

My search through the ancestrydna database of records, and actually connecting with some DNA matches have revealed some interesting results. After exchanging a few messages online I have no doubt I am related to these people, which are presented as DNA matches in my list. We seem to have some common ancestors, or ancestor, which come from a specific area of southern Albania - or northern parts of Epirus, although pinpointing an exact ancestor is still out of the question.

Comment

Working...
                                X