X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tomche Makedonche
    • Oct 2011

Macedonia Passes Albanian Language Law

Macedonian MPs on Thursday adopted an eagerly anticipated law that extends the official use of the Albanian language across the country.

Macedonia Passes Albanian Language Law

Macedonian MPs on Thursday adopted an eagerly anticipated law that extends the official use of the Albanian language across the country

Macedonia''s new government has honoured its pledge to do more for the country's Albanian minority after 69 of the 120 MPs in parliament voted for a new law on the use of languages.

The law was also adopted by a so-called double majority, meaning that it also obtained the required level of support from most minority ethnic groups MPs as well as MPs generally.

The law extends the official use of Albanian over the entire country, in which ethnic Albanians make up around a quarter of the total population of 2.1 million, easing communication in Albanian with institutions like municipalities, hospitals and courts.

The previous law defined Albanian as an official language, but only gave it that status in those areas where Albanians make up over 20 per cent of the local population.

The new provision is seen as the last legal remaining provision stemming from the 2001 peace deal that ended an armed conflict between Albanian insurgents and Macedonian forces.

The law was adopted in the absence of MPs from the main opposition right-wing VMRO DPMNE party.

The opposition, which previously claimed that such law would jeopardize the country’s national interests, in a press release issued after the law's adoption repeated its claim that the law was “unconstitutional”.

The opposition also claimed that its adoption in parliament was “fraudulent”, accusing the government majority of falsely presenting this legislation as an EU-sought reform
    “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Is that it now? Has the president signed off on it? Is it actually law? If it is, I contend the country is beyond help now.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• maco2envy
      • Jan 2015

What about constitutional changes requiring 2/3 majority in parliament? After all DPMNE boycotted the vote.

Also the shiptars have already changed the Macedonian wikipedia page to include Albanian as an official language.

Comment

• Stojacanec
        • Dec 2009

They will be causing irreparable damage by passing this law

Comment

• Vangelovski
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by maco2envy View Post
          What about constitutional changes requiring 2/3 majority in parliament? After all DPMNE boycotted the vote.

Also the shiptars have already changed the Macedonian wikipedia page to include Albanian as an official language.
          Its not a constitutional change. Its an amendment to the law on the use of languages. The constitution (based on the Framework Agreement) was purposely vague in relation to the use of language. It can be interpreted either way. DPMNE could challenge it in the constitutional court, but the court is politically controlled in Macedonia and always finds in favour of whatever the ruling party wants. Even if the court was independent, it could still, legitimately find this law constitutional based on the wording of those clauses, which were agreed to under the Framework Agreement in 2001. This battle was lost back then, now its just a matter of implementing what Macedonians already capitulated to, albeit, a little late.
          Last edited by Vangelovski; 01-11-2018, 09:42 PM.
          If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• maco2envy
            • Jan 2015

What a shame... What role can Ivanov play as president in not allowing this to happen? That is, prior to foreigners coming to Macedonia to 'change his mind'...

Comment

• Vangelovski
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by maco2envy View Post
              What a shame... What role can Ivanov play as president in not allowing this to happen? That is, prior to foreigners coming to Macedonia to 'change his mind'...
              He can veto it, and then the parliament needs to pass it again (which they will). On passing the second time, I think that's it, it doesn't even need to go back to Ivanov (but I'd have to double check). Either way, Ivanov's not going to stop it, he's the same shit as the rest of them.
              If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

I can imagine the Fyromians saying even they have rights and it's fair enough.
                Risto the Great

Comment

• Gocka
                  • Dec 2012

I've been hearing that a lot lately actually. That its normal, and that Spanish is an official language in the USA (its not, even English isn't).

Believe it or not, I actually threw my uncle out of my house on Thanks Giving, for basically making that argument, then justifying a name change to get into the EU. I told him that he was a traitor, and that I won't tolerate that at my diner table. Not knowing what else to say, he said I was brainwashed by VMRO(DPMNE). We finished with me showing him the door, and telling him that if I was so brainwashed, why was he the one who could not see past petty political affiliations.

I might have overreacted, but he should have known, so koj si imat rabota I suppose.

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                  I can imagine the Fyromians saying even they have rights and it's fair enough.

Comment

• Pelagonija
                    • Mar 2017

Wow things are moving fast in New Macedonia and good to see Zaev repaying the very people that got him into power.

My wealthy cousin(pro Zaev) in the New MKD army was very excited that the current gov increased his monthly pay by a whopping 2000 denari, mind you he was rubbing it in, he is also due to recieve his Bulgarian 🇧🇬 passport first half of 2018 as all his mates have done and not out of hunger.. The Macedonian only has eyes and love for money and spite for thy neighbour.

I'm also noticing more and more young new "new Macedonians" in my area.. I think people have had it over there.

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
                      • Apr 2014

The law is not in effect as of yet, Ivanov still has to sign off on it.
                      I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

Not even a census. Shame on the Fyromians.
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• DraganOfStip
                          • Aug 2011

Well, that escalated quickly. First months in power Zajko made a few populistic measures in favor of the people so that he can swipe the rug from under their feet just a few months later. Just proves what I've been saying all along about SDSM and DPMNE being the 2 sides of a same coin. DMNE PM's wisely weren't in the parliament when the voting took place, what a coincidence. Even if Ivanov doesn't sign this, he can only postpone it's enforcing because the procedure is coming back to the parliament just to be re-voted again. Before you know it we're in for a name change in the following period. I guess we deserve nothing better either.
                          ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
                          ― George Orwell

Comment

• Pelagonija
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by DraganOfStip View Post
                            Well, that escalated quickly. First months in power Zajko made a few populistic measures in favor of the people so that he can swipe the rug from under their feet just a few months later. Just proves what I've been saying all along about SDSM and DPMNE being the 2 sides of a same coin. DMNE PM's wisely weren't in the parliament when the voting took place, what a coincidence. Even if Ivanov doesn't sign this, he can only postpone it's enforcing because the procedure is coming back to the parliament just to be re-voted again. Before you know it we're in for a name change in the following period. I guess we deserve nothing better either.
                            What's the general feeling in New Macedonia on the street? Will the economic circumstances improve by joining NATO/EU? Or is it perceived that mkd will remain poor regardless whether they join these clubs, yet it will make it easier for the young to emigrate?

Also I'm curious how will the language law be implemented practically? does this mean Albanians no longer have to learn or speak Macedonian? or will Macedonian kids now have to learn Albanian too at school.

Either way I think this law will eventuate with more jobs for Albanians and less jobs for Macedonians?

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
                              • Apr 2014

I thought Zaev was only given the mandate by Ivanov if he agreed not to introduce bilingualism or change the name of the state?
                              I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

Working...
                              X