• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chentovist
    Banned
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Razer View Post
    Burgas - Alexandroupoli was cancelled because the people in Bulgaria thought it will have negative effects to the environment and the tourism industry. So there were rallies on the streets and referendums against it and the government was forced to scratch it. I'm sure the Russians didn't liked that.
    Perhaps, but any project of this sort will have negative environmental consequences. I think the political aspect of the decision had more to do with it.

Comment

• SirGeorge8600
      • Jun 2011

Don't piss off the Russians, just ask the Ukrainians and Poles. They'll turn it off during the winter months!

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

Yeah the'll switch the gas off in the middle of winter.I saw how bad it is in macedonia you can't cut trees you can't do this or that.The gas is a great idea.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Niko777
          • Oct 2010

VIDEO: Putin Shakes Fist at Macedonian Monk

Video of Putin Rejecting Priest's Kiss Goes Viral

Путин поÑетил Валаам - YouTube

A monk at the Valaam Monastery in northwestern Russia explained why he had kissed Vladimir Putin’s hand during the Russian president’s visit, the monastery’s spokesman Mikhail Shishkov said on Tuesday.

Putin visited the monastery on the Valaam Island in the Russian Republic of Karelia on Monday to hold a meeting of the Russian Geographical Society’s supervisory board. A video by the RT TV channel shows Hegumen Mefody, an aide to the monastery’s head, kissing the Russian leader’s hand, which Putin quickly withdrew. The clip spurred a heated debate in the media and the blogosphere, with some people saying such acts were improper for a priest.

But Shishkov said the gesture of Father Mefody, who is from Macedonia, was as a sign of respect for the Russian nation on behalf of the brotherly Macedonian nation, adding that among priests and laypeople, kissing hands is one of Eastern Orthodox Christianity’s traditions that symbolizes meekness.

“He is a Macedonian; he came to Russia to dedicate himself to serving God. I personally asked Father Mefody: ‘A question is being discussed in the media: why did you kiss the Russian president’s hand?’” Shishkov told RIA Novosti.
          “He answered: ‘I kissed the Russian president’s hand as a token of acknowledgement of the great Russian nation by the small [Macedonian] nation,’” Shishkov said.

Shishkov lamented that he had received “many unpleasant calls,” including from journalists, after the incident. “People call me and say: ‘Why do you crawl, why do you behave like sycophants?’ I have not heard such boorishness before.”

“This person is a Macedonian; he filled that action with profound meaning. But [critics] only see the church as an enemy and aggressor. They are not interested in how many people he brought to Christ, how selflessly he works or how hospitably he receives Valaam guests,” the monastery’s spokesman said.

Critics have accused some of the Russian Orthodox Church's hierarchs, including its head Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, of failure to comply with Christian commandments. Church officials have dismissed the accusations. The church has also come under attacks over its support for Putin, who was elected Russian president for a third nonconsecutive term in March and was sworn into office in May.
          Shishkov also said Father Mefody apologized to those whom he may have confused when he kissed Putin’s hand.

“As I love the Russian nation very much, this is a manifestation of my Christian love as a representative of a small Slavic nation toward the great Russian nation,” Shishkov quoted Father Mefody as saying. “I apologize to all people I involuntarily confused by that act.”

Father Mefody said he reveres Balkan traditions, one of which is to respect seniors, and added that he had “always kissed the hands” of his parents and grandparents as a sign of love and respect.
          The Novy Region news agency quoted Alexander Okunev, a blogger, as saying that his mother knows Father Mefody. He said Mefody became a monk in Russia, and Putin helped him receive Russian citizenship, for which the priest is grateful.

Comment

• Niko777
            • Oct 2010

Vladimir Putin has come under fire after a video of him shaking his fist at a priest surfaced online.

The incident occurred when Putin visited the famous Valaam monastery on Lake Ladoga to attend a meeting of the Russian Geographical Society. After shaking hands with a number of society board members, the Orthodfox priest attempted to kiss Putin on the hand, and the Russian president jerked away in surprise before briefly raising a fist. Footage of the exchange was uploaded on YouTube by Russia Today.

Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Tuesday that Putin has had to warn the man about physical gestures in the past.

The priest, who is from Macedonia, defended his gesture. "We have this tradition in the Balkans of always honoring your superiors, and I always kiss the hands of parents, grandparents and so forth as a sign of love and respect," he told Interfax.

Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. Vancouver Sun offers information on latest national and international events & more.

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
              • Nov 2009

representative of a small Slavic nation
              Znaci mu podlegnuvame na Rusite, kako e mentalitetot na vakvi Makedonci
              Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• slovenec zrinski
                • Sep 2008

For raising his fist against a representative of the orthodox church I believe Putin should be tried together with Pussy Riot

Comment

• damian
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2012

That was really wierd.

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

storm in a teacup the monk knew what he was doing whils't the russian received it differently.
                    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• makedonche
                      • Oct 2008

Shouldn't it be the other way around, Putin kissing the priests hand?
                      On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

Macedonians have been wanting to kiss Russian arse for a long time (for no apparent reason). So this is a departure.
                        Risto the Great
                        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
                          • Aug 2009

what if the monk bit his hand or his arse tha't putin it lightly!You know putin could catch rabies amongs't other things.Especially from monks who don't follow personal hygiene standards.
                          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Daniel the Great
                            • Nov 2009

Putin is just too manly for that sort of affection. lol

But in all seriousness, the intentions of the monk were to be respectful. Maybe Putin should apologize for that hand gesture he made.

Comment

• DirtyCodingHabitz
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by makedonche View Post
                              Shouldn't it be the other way around, Putin kissing the priests hand?
                              Yep. The priest is more holy than a president or a king.

Comment

• damian
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2012

Maybe he was trying to acknowledge Putin as Tsar.

This is the most interesting part though,:"Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Tuesday that Putin has had to warn the man about physical gestures in the past."
                                Last edited by damian; 08-08-2012, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X