X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vicsinad
    • May 2011

Macedonians of America Series (Books)

Back at it here with a new series of books.

"Macedonians of America" series contain biographies of some of the most interesting, dedicated and successful Macedonians in the United States. My hope with these books is to provide Macedonians in the Diaspora with motivation to become better individuals, more involved in their communities, and to pass on their Macedonian culture and identity to their children. I will be releasing the books throughout the upcoming year. All profits from these books, like my previous books, will be donated. I am splitting the donations between St. Mary's Macedonian Orthodox Church in Detroit and the St. Mary's Macedonian Athletic Club. We have hopes to build and extend the cultural center in Detroit to include a gym and other recreational/cultural facilities.

This first book is on David Nakoff and is titled "David Nakoff: Leader of Steelton's Macedonians and Founder of the First Macedonian-American Orthodox Church." The Reverend Nakoff was born in Veles and eventually became ordained as a Bulgarian priest. He came to Pennsylvania in 1915 to lead the Macedono-Bulgarian church in Steelton. However, a series of events (including fights with the MPO and the Bulgarian church, which caused severe splinters in his congregation) resulted in him leading most of his congregation to create the first Macedonian-American Orthodox Church, under the jurisdiction of the American Orthodox Church, in the late 1930s, 30 years before the MOC declared its independence.

Nakoff started out with a Bulgarian mentality, likely due to his education at the Bulgarian church, but eventually shook off the Bulgarian propaganda and began identifying only as Macedonian. Nakoff was also an advocate for the needy (especially children), a labor activist, a member of the American Slav Congress, and was well-respected by Macedonians and Pennsylvanians alike.

Like most books in this series, it's more than a biography. It also highlights the Steelton Macedonian community throughout the early 20th century.

You can buy the book on Amazon in either Kindle or paperback form. It is 100 pages long. Thanks!

• Niko777
    • Oct 2010

David Nakoff

Comment

• vicsinad
      • May 2011

Thanks Niko. There are a good number of photos on him out there.

Nakoff in 1931 with participants in Vodici celebrations. Nakoff led Vodici for about 25 years. A chapter in my book is about these celebrations, as there were very few places outside of Macedonia during this time (1910s to 1930s) that had such celebrations (where divers would compete from the cross), and one of them was in Steelton, Pennsylvania.

They would dive in the local river (Susquehanna). Some years, in order to hold the festivities, they had to dynamite the ice because it was so thick. Other years, hundreds of people would walk onto the river and it would give way, throwing hundreds of people into a rushing river. Another year they had to send a rescue boat to rescue an American observer who was so excited that he decided to jump in after the cross without telling anyone he would participate.
      Last edited by vicsinad; 03-11-2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• vicsinad
        • May 2011

Hi all,

Here's my second book in the Macedonians of America series. This one is about Demetrius Vishanoff. You can find the book at the following link, either in paperback or Kindle form. It is a short 60-page read, but jam-packed with information.

Demetrius Vishanoff, the son of a Macedonian nobleman, was forced to leave his home and country after converting to Protestantism. With the help of American missionaries in Macedonia, he arrived in America in the 1880s and proceeded to finance his twelve years of education by telling the story of his conversion. Vishanoff desired to return to his native Macedonia to practice homeopathic medicine and spread the message of Christ among his people, but he never made it back. He remained in America until his death, recounting his Macedonian story to tens of thousands of eager listeners in over 100 cities and a dozen states.

Vishanoff’s story is not only inspiring and informative, but it confirms that the Macedonian identity is separate from all other Balkan identities and is not a modern creation. Vishanoff insisted he was a Macedonian who spoke the Macedonian language and even claimed he was a descendant of Alexander the Great. In Vishanoff’s life story, we can all find hope and encouragement in an age where intolerance and misinformation have a stronghold on the minds and hearts of many.

Hope you enjoy this book as I continue to fulfill this little hobby of mine on writing about Macedonian-Americans. Stay tuned for the next book, which should probably be done sometime late next month.

Comment

• vicsinad
          • May 2011

As promised, here is my latest book:

George Pirinsky: The Voice of Macedonian Progressives in America

Paperback version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1719493995...words=pirinsky

Kindle version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DBNLPMD...words=pirinsky

When George Pirinsky arrived in America in 1923, he had little money and little understanding of the English language and American culture. In a few short years, however, he became the leader of the largest Macedonian movement in the country, and by the 1940s he evolved into a nationally admired speaker, writer and organizer for all matters progressive and Slavic. But his vocal and ceaseless support for these causes met fierce resistance from many, including fascist organizations, the FBI, immigration officials, and the United States Congress. What follows in these pages is the story of the life and persecution of George Pirinsky in America.

The book is about 110 pages with four sections: an intro about George, his involvement in the Macedonian People's league, his involvement in the American Slav Congress, and his persecution by authorities.

Here's a snippet of an exchange between Pirinsky and a US Senator in 1949:

Mr. Pirinsky. No; I think the main issue in the civil war is to abolish monarchy and establish their own democratic government there. In such a Greece, I understand that the Macedonians will be also given the right to speak their language and to live as free citizens. Macedonians were oppressed by the Greek King before and now. They resent this oppression like the American people here resented the British oppression in 1776. As a matter of fact, the slogan of the Macedonians, when I was there, was the same as the slogan of Patrick Henry: “Give me liberty or give me death.”

Senator Eastland. What is the slogan now? We are talking about
          the civil war in Greece at this time.

Mr. Pirinsky. I think the civil war in Greece was provoked by the
          British intervention.

Senator Eastland. There are no British soldiers now in Greece;
          are there?

Mr. Pirinsky. I think there are some still—quite a few there, helping in the training, and things like that.

Senator Eastland. That is the reason there is a civil war there
          now, because of the British soldiers there now; is that right? Is that
          what you say?

Mr. Pirinsky. Because the British intervened and tried to impose
          the king back to the Greek people. I think that was the main reason
          for the civil war.298
          Happy reading!
          Last edited by vicsinad; 05-27-2018, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Well done Vic.
            7 Books on Amazon now!
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• vicsinad
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
              Well done Vic.
              7 Books on Amazon now!
              Thanks, Risto. I hope all of our efforts aren't for nothing.

Comment

• vicsinad
                • May 2011

Just to let you all know, these books and two of my other books are now in the US Library of Congress General Collections...if you're ever there and want to check out the books

Comment

• VMRO
                  • Sep 2008

Awesome Vic, opasen si
                  Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.

Comment

• Gocka
                    • Dec 2012

Damn straight. He gets so much shit done its kind of annoying honestly lol. Too hard to keep up!

Originally posted by VMRO View Post
                    Awesome Vic, opasen si

Comment

• JPMKD
                      • Mar 2016

This great! I think I will have to check some of the books out and maybe invite him for a beer on me! If I share some Mastika maybe I can get an autograph too!

EDIT: I just ordered Vol 1 and Vol3.
                      Last edited by JPMKD; 09-20-2018, 06:54 PM.
                      Not a Northadonian

Comment

• vicsinad
                        • May 2011

Thanks! Hope they provide you with some interesting insight into our community.

Perhaps in the future I will start a series on North Macedonians...

Comment

• vicsinad
                          • May 2011

Hello all,

The fourth book in this Macedonians of America series is out. It's called Big Sky Macedonians: A Study of Montana's Macedonian-Americans. Unlike the three previous books in this series, which followed a particular individual in a community, this book is in two parts: the first is an analysis and examination of the data and trends for 645 Macedonians that worked and lived in Montana. I examine their recorded birthplaces, mother tongue, birth years, immigration age, where they resided, and etc. to draw some specific conclusions about Macedonian immigration to Montana and about Macedonian immigration in general.

The second part of the book is a look at about 65 profiles and biographical sketches of a sampling of those Macedonians who actually lived out their lives in Montana. This helps give faces to all of the data and to better understand what life was like for Macedonians who lived in an area where there was no true "Macedonian colony" like in Detroit, Fort Wayne, Cincinnati, and etc.

At the end there is a table with a list of all 645 Macedonians examined, including their birth years and where they resided in Montana. There's also 27 pages of footnotes.

The book is 118 pages. Please note that the e-book version skews the tables, graphs and charts because of formatting issues, but those charts appear normal in the paperback version. The charts are still readable in the e-book version, they just look a little funky.

Here is a link to the book:

I will have a more "exciting" book coming out on Macedonian-Americans in about a month -- one that (partly) takes a deeper look into the feuds between Macedonians, Bulgarians and Greeks in the early years of Macedonian immigration.

Comment

• vicsinad
                            • May 2011

My fifth installment in this series:

The First Macedonian Colony: The Untold History of the Macedonian Settlement in Granite City

Summary from the back cover:

Riots. Vendettas. Blackmail. Murder. For thousands of Macedonians who settled in Granite City and its environs during the first decades of the 20th century, life in the New World was in many ways the same as in the Old World. These Macedonians may have escaped their impoverished and enslaved homeland for prospects of prosperity and freedom in America, but Macedonia followed them across the ocean to the saloons, factories, and boarding houses of Granite City.

The First Macedonian Colony explores the Macedonian immigrant experience in Granite City during the early 20th century. It examines the monopoly that the wealthy Macedonian bankers and businessmen held over the local Macedonians; details the political and ethnic rivalries of the Macedonians, Greeks and Bulgarians; and chronicles ordinary Macedonians as they integrated into American society all while preserving their Macedonian identity and culture. This little-known story of America’s first Macedonian settlement carries readers on a rousing voyage that will challenge all preconceived notions about the history of Macedonian immigration to America.
                            The book is 122 pages.

Link to paperback:

Link to Kindle version:

Enjoy and thanks to all those who have bought some of these books.

Comment

• vicsinad
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
                              My fifth installment in this series:

The First Macedonian Colony: The Untold History of the Macedonian Settlement in Granite City

Summary from the back cover:

The book is 122 pages.

Link to paperback:

Link to Kindle version:

Enjoy and thanks to all those who have bought some of these books.
                              A nice little surprise, this book is now available at the Dallas Public Library in their genealogy collection...if any of you ever find yourselves in Texas.

Comment

Working...
                              X