X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Sparta and the Spartans - The History

Just want to study this subject a bit and possibly Spartan society if the conversation becomes deep enough. I admire the Spartans and their valour, they truly had a great story to tell. Didn't know where to post this, the exposing lies & propaganda section would not be the right place for it, so I will leave it here, and I will post things as they come to me, I am sure our member (Duke of) Spartan will give his comment and thoughts on the subject, and Risto the Great also who I know has the same respect for this ancient tribe and their characteristics. Anybody else that has information or something interesting to share with regard to the ancient Spartans, please do so here.

Firstly, I will have a dig at our Duke of Sparta here because I recall him dissing the movie '300', I have watched it again recently a few times and I don't think it is that bad. Historically it is not exactly accurate on a number of points, just like the Alexander movie, however, it is still a good movie and could have been great were it to be edited a little. So, Spartan, what's your beef with the movie bro?
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Oh, for anybody confused as to why a Macedonian would be posting a topic about ancient Greek history in a favourable manner, I like history, and I don't discriminate there, just because modern Greeks and Macedonians have issues, does not mean we cannot explore the history of each other's lands, and have mutual respect for some matters either.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
      • Jan 2009

One of my most favorite History Channel documentaries was the one they did of the True History of the 300-

YouTube - The True History About 300 The Movie, Spartans, Part 1 of 10
      Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Spartan
        • Sep 2008

Another thread I missed... unbelievable
        That is an excellent documentary TM.

SoM, good thread bro.

As for the movie, just not historically accurate enough for my liking, and a little too 'fantastical'. I did find it very entertaining however.

Anyways,

Was reading about the Macedonian /Spartan 'alliance' during the peloponnesian wars...

Ancient Macedonian/Spartan relations.....interesting stuff

im sure Wanderer could add his 2 cents as well

peace my brothers

The Duke

Last edited by Spartan; 03-06-2010, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

Cited earlier, but valid for this thread, is the lack of suggestions for a Greek etymology for the name of 'Sparta'. It doesn't appear to be a Greek word.

Comment

• Makedonetz
            • Apr 2010

Be interesting how the spartans interacted with the macedonians during the panesian wars. looking forward to reading text on this.
            Makedoncite se borat
            za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
            - Goce Delchev

Comment

• Spartan
              • Sep 2008

^^If you mean the Peloponnesian wars, Macedonia and Sparta allied on a few occasions against Athenian expansion in Macedonia.

Comment

• Makedonetz
                • Apr 2010

Spartan correct just didnt want to type the entire word out

The movie it was odd Xerxes protrayed as this black weird looking god
                Makedoncite se borat
                za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
                - Goce Delchev

Comment

• tomovsk
                  • Apr 2010

concerning the etymology of sparta : if you recall your classical mythology, the spartoi were the "sown men" from the myth of cadmus. perhaps it refers to a parallel belief of the autochthonous origins of the founders of sparta ( ie lacedaemon etc )

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Can you provide the quote, reference and link? What part of 'spartoi' stands for 'sown' and what stands for 'men'? Are you sure that this is recorded as the etymology for the word?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                      ^^If you mean the Peloponnesian wars, Macedonia and Sparta allied on a few occasions against Athenian expansion in Macedonia.
                      Cite the quotes, references and links, it usually helps others in trusting your statements.

Comment

• tomovsk
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                        Can you provide the quote, reference and link? What part of 'spartoi' stands for 'sown' and what stands for 'men'? Are you sure that this is recorded as the etymology for the word?

sorry, no link.
                        it's from the book "crowell's handbook of classical mythology"
                        p. 535

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Can you cite the quote?

Comment

• tomovsk
                            • Apr 2010

the format of the book is like a dictionary. that being said, the particular entry starts off as " spartoi or sown-men" and refers to the men who sprung from the earth when cadmus planted the teeth of the dragon he had slain. it states that the surviving "spartoi" were the ancestors of the leading families of thebes ( e.g. pentheus, tiresias ) and also refers to the sown-men from the myth of the argonauts, who came from the teeth of the same dragon.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                              • Sep 2008

Thanks Tomovsk, but I don't see that as an explanation of what the etymology of 'sparta' is. It's like saying 'athena' is the goddess of 'wisdom', without explaining how exactly the conclusion has been reached with regard to etymology.

Comment

Working...
                              X