View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #334
Karposh

Karposh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphipolis View Post
Performing a Greek song in Australia does not make the song Australian.
No one will argue with you there Amphipolis. I'm pretty sure that's what we've been trying to tell you all along. In the same vein, performing Macedonian songs in Greece does not make those songs Greek. Just simple, common sense...I would've thought.

Quote:
Yet, if a Greek band could produce and compose Greek songs over there, these songs would also belong to the heritage of Australia.
Here's where we run into trouble with these views of yours and leaves us scratching our heads at such twisted Greek logic. If a Greek band could produce and compose Greek songs here in Australia, the Greek songs are still part of the Greek cultural heritage. Surely you can see that. Even if Greek songs were composed in China or anywhere else on Earth, the songs are still an expression of the Greek linguistic cultural identity and can belong to no other group other than the Greeks. However, if a Greek band (1st generation or 5th generation, it doesn't matter) composed traditional Australian folk songs such as "Click Go the Shears" or "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport", then yes, those songs become part of the heritage of Australia since the mainstream Australian society has taken the songs to heart as expressions of traditional Australian culture and music.

Quote:
Are there such examples? As far as I know, there aren't.
Only in Greece are there such examples: Bela Lympio, Sofka, Eleno Mome, etc.
Karposh is offline   Reply With Quote