X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dimko-piperkata
    • Sep 2008

Macedonian-Russian Relations

Europe yesterday stepped up attempts to reduce its exposure to potential Russian blackmail over energy supplies.

Today it unveiled an ambitious strategy aimed at weakening Russian giant Gazprom's domination of Europe's gas imports, The Guardian reads. On the eve of the Russia-EU summit today in France, the energy package released by the European commission highlighted Europe's dependence on Russian exports and sought to devise strategies to wean Europe off the addiction.

Of six energy projects pinpointed for development, commission officials said the two "absolute" priorities were to connect the three post-Soviet Baltic states of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia to European power grids and to forge ahead with the so-called "southern gas corridor", which is supposed to transport gas from the Caspian basin to Europe while, for political reasons, bypassing the world's two biggest gas producers, Russia and Iran. Both projects are aimed at loosening Russia's grip.

By next year Brussels also aims to have set up a consortium of European companies to buy gas from the Caspian basin, to be shipped to Europe in a new pipeline from Azerbaijan, via Turkey and the Balkans, to Austria from 2013. Gazprom currently controls all the pipelines sending gas to Europe from the east.

Europe currently gets 42% of its gas, a third of its oil and a quarter of its hard coal from Russia. The commission estimates that by 2030 Europe will be importing 84% of its gas needs, up from 61% at present.
    1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum...
    2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum...
  • Orovnichanec
    • Sep 2008

This is great and all, but do we really want to do this, and in a way go against Russia, just to help Europe out?
    "Oh, Macedonians! It is time we realized that the greatest demon Macedonia must battle against is none other than Bulgaria" - Krste Petkov Misirkov

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Why would Russia hate Macedonia if they accept the pipeline? They know very well the Macedonia is merely a "victim" in the process. If Russia showed some "love" to Macedonia, it would then be in a position to complain. To date,they have done nothing ... not even a decent kind word. I wish they did, but the lack of action is obvious.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Orovnichanec
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
        Why would Russia hate Macedonia if they accept the pipeline? They know very well the Macedonia is merely a "victim" in the process. If Russia showed some "love" to Macedonia, it would then be in a position to complain. To date,they have done nothing ... not even a decent kind word. I wish they did, but the lack of action is obvious.
        I never said hate for one. Well we did just sign a no visa agreement with them, so their is more to it then you may think.
        "Oh, Macedonians! It is time we realized that the greatest demon Macedonia must battle against is none other than Bulgaria" - Krste Petkov Misirkov

Comment

• Rogi
          • Sep 2008

Russia is pushing for a pipeline that skips the Republic of Macedonia altogether and goes through Bulgaria into the modern borders of Greece.

Comment

• Orovnichanec
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
            Russia is pushing for a pipeline that skips the Republic of Macedonia altogether and goes through Bulgaria into the modern borders of Greece.
            But are they doing it to piss us off? Or are they doing it to piss of the EU elites?

Comment

• Rogi
              • Sep 2008

They're not doing it to piss anyone off... they're doing it to increase their own position and sphere of influence

Comment

• Daskalot
                • Sep 2008

Rogi is very correct in his observations.
                Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Pelister
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
                  They're not doing it to piss anyone off... they're doing it to increase their own position and sphere of influence
                  Good enough reason to do it.

Basically, if it brings jobs, its a good thing. If its playing on the rift between the E.U and Russia - if that is their intention, then there could be consequences for Macedonia.

Comment

• Venom
                    • Sep 2008

Gas to Macedonia halted.

This is no good. Because of a dispute between Ukraine and Moscow, gas is no longer being supplied to us amongst the others. Where's the next nearest gas line? Who supplies Albania with gas?
                    S m r t - i l i - S l o b o d a

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Yeah, I saw some Macedonians overjoyed at Russia having some influence in Europe ... but Macedonia has copped it now and I wonder how many people will die in a very cold winter there!
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Bratot
                        • Sep 2008

And... who is using gas in Macedonia?

As I am familiar with.. only the city of Kumanovo is gasified. There is no need to be concerned about Macedonia.

The nearest gasline is in Greece

And do you really think Russians has nothing to do with the Ukraian gas crisis?
                        I believe it does.
                        The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Dimko-piperkata
                          • Sep 2008

sekoj si imat chumbe, nemat nikoj da umret kaj nas od stud, makedonskiot narod e cvrst.
                          1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum...
                          2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum...

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Good!
                            Go Russia!
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Jankovska
                              • Sep 2008

Skopje and maybe Kumanovo but majority have kumbe so I don't see how it will affect Macedonia. Bulgaria and Greece have been hit though and apparently it's gonna get worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X