X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
    If you had to bet your house on one or the other, which one would you choose?
    I wouldn't bet my house on a sporting game. Would you?
    I was talking about the knockout legs, but you knew that.
    I addressed that. And I broadened it to include the group games. So what?
    If your going to take a pop, you can do better than a cheap one.
    If I took a shot, you'd know it.
    What you are saying is a assumption, and I think you are making a poor one, there you go. A cheap pointless dig over a football thread, really?
    That's fine. No need to get emotional. If you can't handle criticism of your own assumptions, don't make them.
    The difference is that England are garbage at football, to a comical degree. They play the game with the same sophistication as a child finger painting. The Semi final was flattering for them.
    Riveting.
    You kangaroo lovers really hate the French huh?
    Perhaps there is some truth when people say the average American citizen is largely ignorant of history beyond the borders of the U.S (and often within their own borders). Let me clue you in. My opposition to France has nothing to do with being Australian. It has to do with my Macedonian heritage and the way France has treated Macedonia in the political space.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Phoenix
      • Dec 2008

Monumental effort by Croatia to get to the final and huge congratulations to them, I would love to see them take it out...

My fear is that Croatia have been a bit 'lucky' to get this far, considering they've had 2 games that were decided by penalties and now having played 3 games going into extra time, it could be detrimental to their chances against France...but 'luck' is always one of those important variables in football success.

Generally, the Croats play with plenty of heart and pride and can be really difficult for any team if they can have a few things go their way early but like most of our regional neighbours they can also lose their bundle quite quickly if things don't go right for them...

I can't see them winning but I hope they don't get smashed...

Comment

• Gocka
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
        I wouldn't bet my house on a sporting game. Would you?
        Not the gambling type, and it was only a figure of speech, but you knew that. Do you always take things so literally?

If I took a shot, you'd know it.
        Riveting.
        Perhaps there is some truth when people say the average American citizen is largely ignorant of history beyond the borders of the U.S (and often within their own borders
        We both know it, don't be a mitch about it, just own it.

That's fine. No need to get emotional. If you can't handle criticism of your own assumptions, don't make them.
        Not getting emotional at all. You made a comment about me making too many assumptions. I thought it was a pointless comment that could have only been a dig or a stupid thoughtless comment. I never thought of you as an idiot, so I assumed it was a dig. Do you prefer the latter? Everything being said by anyone on this matter is an assumption so what was the point?

Perhaps there is some truth when people say the average American citizen is largely ignorant of history beyond the borders of the U.S (and often within their own borders). Let me clue you in. My opposition to France has nothing to do with being Australian. It has to do with my Macedonian heritage and the way France has treated Macedonia in the political space.
        Now who is the one getting emotional. First off all I was joking but clearly I hit a soft spot. I did't mean to hurt your feelings with my banter. You were one of a few people who said they disliked the French.

Its a good thing I'm well above average then. Your generalization about Americans could be made about pretty much every country in the world, this is your favorite argument so I hope you appreciate that. Britain hasn't treated Macedonia any better but you knew that I'm sure, being such an avid historian.

Let's just chalk it up to a misunderstanding and move on, I honestly don't have the energy for this.

Comment

• maco2envy
          • Jan 2015

French are baguette eating and arrogant fucks. I hope they lose.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
            • Oct 2011

Well the Semi's were good matches for sure, and in both cases I would say the match was decided as a result of performance in the second half.

In the France vs Belgium game, Belgium's main play maker De Bruyne had an absolute shocker of a second half, so many errors and handovers to the point where he was basically playing as a full back for the last 20 minutes. I don't know what happened during the half time break but he was an absolute different player in that second half and Belgium's game went down hill with him.

As for the England vs Croatia game, what can I say, Croatia deserved that win, they were by far the better team in that second half. I don't know what happened to England but it was horrible to watch, forget about the fact they tried to literally walk it in over and over again, when I saw them resorting to the infamous long ball in that last 15 minutes I was like, don't even bother with the third place match, just pack your bags and go home (for fuck sake, the long ball was the staple strategy of the English national team for so many years it became comical to watch and is basically the reason why England has constantly been written off for years). From what I saw of this team, they had the potential talent to rid themselves of their stereotype, but it would seem, they are still not quite there yet. Had they got through they would have no doubt been crushed by the French, which would be terrible on any day let alone a world cup final.

Croatia had the desire and as a result were by far the better team and deserve their place in the final.

As for the final, well, my initial views have not changed, as I've said from the start, France are going to take this one out (much to my despise). It should nevertheless be a good game to watch. I expect the Hrvati to give it their all, it wont come easy for the French, they will actually have to fight hard for the win, I don't expect the Hrvati to give up an inch.

I think the Ref is going to be a major factor in this game though. The Hrvati play a physical game, they go in strong for tackles, whilst the French have a tendency to roll around on the floor screaming like someone lit them on fire at every opportunity. How the Ref decides the mood for the game to be played will be pivotal on whether France runs away with it or the Hrvati stand a chance.

You kangaroo lovers really hate the French huh? It's okay you don't have to worry, your overlords are half way across the world, you can relax.
            Hey Freedom boy, I know this may come as a shock but most of the world doesn't share your countries idolisation of French prostitutes wearing pointy hats whilst waving a cigarette lighter as though she is asking for an encore at a Boy George concert
            Last edited by Tomche Makedonche; 07-15-2018, 12:12 PM.
            “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

French defence was awesome. Modric could have done more. Oh well. France won it thoroughly.
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gocka
                Not the gambling type, and it was only a figure of speech, but you knew that.
                A question isn't usually considered a figure of speech, but in any case, if you weren't prepared to accept an answer, no point in asking.
                Do you always take things so literally?
                Not always, perhaps I should lower the bar in some instances.
                We both know it, don't be a mitch about it, just own it.
                Not even sure what you're blabbing on about here, but whatever.
                Not getting emotional at all. You made a comment about me making too many assumptions. I thought it was a pointless comment that could have only been a dig or a stupid thoughtless comment. I never thought of you as an idiot, so I assumed it was a dig. Do you prefer the latter?
                Your opinion on the type of person I am is irrelevant, just as my opinion on whether or not you're a moron is irrelevant. I am happy to engage in a discussion about what I write and to address any criticism. You should adopt the same approach.
                Now who is the one getting emotional. First off all I was joking but clearly I hit a soft spot. I did't mean to hurt your feelings with my banter.
                Kangaroo lovers vs ignorant Americans. Tit for that. All in good spirit. No need to make it anything more than that with such a comical follow up.
                Your generalization about Americans could be made about pretty much every country in the world, this is your favorite argument so I hope you appreciate that.
                My favourite argument? Not even sure how to respond to that. Assumption much? Anyway, go crack open a bottle of red and relax, your frog mates just took the title.

Well done to Croatia for a valiant effort.
                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                  • Oct 2011

Unfortunate result for the Hrvati, first time I think I’ve seen them run out of steam and heart in the closing leg of a game. Personally I’d say poor goal keeping was also an issue for them this game. The first half was great to watch, the second not so much.

Mbappe will be a force to be reckoned with on the world stage in the coming years, he was a vital player for the French in this World Cup, which is a pretty impressive feat for a 19 year old.

Anyway I must say I quite enjoyed this World Cup, had some good matches and it was great seeing smaller football nations punch above their weight, I hope we see this kind of competition more and more in the future. It’s just a shame that the fucken French had to win.
                  Last edited by Tomche Makedonche; 07-15-2018, 12:27 PM.
                  “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Gocka
                    • Dec 2012

Stupid French didn't deserve it, but like in life that's irrelevant.

Croatia were pure heart and if the world were fair Croatia would have smashed France. They ran out of legs which I suspected they would, you can only come back form behind so many times.

France still never looked like they got out of second gear. As a team they were very underwhelming throughout. Given how much raw ability most of their players have I expected more. It was smart though on Frances part. They never over committed and relied on individuals to make the difference, and a bit of luck too. I actually think Croatia were to cavalier. They chased like crazy the first half, they could never have kept that up for the whole game. They should have tried to draw France out a little more and hit them.

Football is such a relevant lesson on how the world works. Effort doesn't guarantee results. You can put in your all and sometimes life just slaps you in the face. The first goal resulted from a dive and then an own goal, the second was an unlucky handball that the ref had to call, even though the player knew nothing about it.

This result is so bad for Macedonia psychologically. It only further reinforces that resistance is futile. Poor Croatia.

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
                      • Jan 2009

Congratulations on France winning - a historic moment as this is the first time an African team has won the world cup

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Big Bad Sven View Post
                        Congratulations on France winning - a historic moment as this is the first time an African team has won the world cup
                        Haha.

I heard one of the commentators saying 17 members of the French squad had at least one parent from another country.
                        Risto the Great
                        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great
                          I heard one of the commentators saying 17 members of the French squad had at least one parent from another country.
                          Looking at the starting 11 for France against Croatia:
                          France XI: Lloris; Pavard, Varane, Umtiti, Hernandez; Pogba, Kante, Matuidi; Griezmann, Giroud, Mbappe
                          Aside from possibly Benjamin Pavard, not a single player's parents are both ethnic French (if that even means anything these days). Vive la whatever, lol. That's modern France I suppose. But then there's this disgraceful display:

France riots: Two football fans killed as police clash with World Cup revellers in Paris amid victory celebrations

Police clashed with football fans during dramatic scenes in Paris as World Cup celebrations erupted across the country. Two people were killed elsewhere in the country as revellers celebrated France's first World Cup win since 1998. Violence erupted across the country following Les Bleus’ victory against Croatia on Sunday. Some of the worst scenes of violence were in central Paris, where the Champs Elysee remained closed in the early hours of Monday following rioting and looting. A 50-year-old France fan is believed to have died after breaking his neck jumping into a canal in the Alpine town of Annecy at the end of the team's 4-2 triumph over Croatia in Moscow on Sunday, according to the Mirror. Another man in his 30s also died, when he crashed his car into a tree in Sant-Felix when reportedly celebrating the win, reports said. Rioting also broke out in other parts of the country, as tear gas was used to keep some crowds in order. A police source in Paris said: "Rioting broke out soon after midnight as large crowds refused to disperse. "Shops including the Publicis Drugstore close to the Arc de Triumphe were ransacked. Windows were smashed and officers who intervened were attacked. There have been scenes of absolute chaos that have spoiled the party." Videos shot at the scene saw units of CRS moving in, as fans wearing France shirts and black balaclavas attacked them. Transport links, including the Metro services and other local trains, were shut during the disorder. There was also serious trouble in the eastern city of Lyon, where hundreds of youths went on the rampage, attacking cars and setting fire to wheelie-bins. Public fountains and other monuments in cities such as Bordeaux and Marseille, as well as Lyon, were filled with youths brandishing flares and throwing bottles. In Frouard, near the city of Nancy, a three-year-old boy and two six-year-old girls were also seriously injured after being struck by a motorcycle, which then fled the scene.

Comment

• Phoenix
                            • Dec 2008

France still never looked like they got out of second gear. As a team they were very underwhelming throughout. Given how much raw ability most of their players have I expected more. It was smart though on Frances part. They never over committed and relied on individuals to make the difference, and a bit of luck too...
                            Maybe Deschamps game plan of dour and bland restraint cast over his otherwise flamboyant squad was the masterstroke which delivered the cup to France...

Comment

• Phoenix
                              • Dec 2008

By all accounts it has been an extremely successful World Cup, congratulations to Russia for putting on an amazing show...it's still sad and pathetic that many Cold War stereotypes about the Russian people exist to this day but it was great to read and hear stories of the warmth of the Russian people, the friendly atmosphere in the host cities, the efficient organisation and the natural beauty of the country...

Comment

• Gocka
                                • Dec 2012

It was a very good world cup, best I can remember. All the games were competitive, on the field antics were tame, lots of surprises.

It's a shame that Russia is the place that it is. The people are not representative of their leadership. Russia has a rich culture and very artistic and intelligent people. That's what makes it that much more baffling that they continually submit to dictatorship. The west is actually lucky that Russia isn't a totally free and democratic society, they would be a force otherwise. I always wondered if the west preferred Russia to stay the way it is, and feign its disgust with Russia's authoritarian leaders.

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                                By all accounts it has been an extremely successful World Cup, congratulations to Russia for putting on an amazing show...it's still sad and pathetic that many Cold War stereotypes about the Russian people exist to this day but it was great to read and hear stories of the warmth of the Russian people, the friendly atmosphere in the host cities, the efficient organisation and the natural beauty of the country...

Comment

Working...
                                X