• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Not Tito (again) - Macedonia, USA

Reader supplies brief history of Macedonia's name

In response to my recent request for readers to send in information about their community's past, to help me become better acquainted with the area, Kathy Thomas submitted this information about Macedonia.

The information below is from research done by the Longwood Manor Historical Society, including interviews with people who lived here before and after the first mayor of Macedonia started his first term in office.

His name was William Frew Long.

According to the historical society's Web site, he was known as the oldest mayor in the U.S., and that still is true today. He was 96 years of age during his third consecutive term in office.

The following is from a newspaper article containing a small history lesson from Mayor Long at the very first Nordonia Hills Home Days.

In the early 1800s, a young man named Henry Woods came across a stream he named Indian Run. Some years later a man named Abraham Cranmer from Northfield purchased 90 acres of property near Indian Run -- at the intersection of Jenkins and North Bedford roads. This is where he built his home in 1824, the first log house in this new settlement.

Soon, other people moved to this new settlement known as "The Corners." A log schoolhouse was built in 1833, a frame church in 1835, and there was an inn for weary travelers on the stage coach line from Pittsburgh to Cleveland.

According to Mayor Long, the settlers did not christen the community Macedonia; the town was named by theological students attending the Seminary at Western Reserve College in Hudson.

Mr. Long said that when the settlers needed a clergyman, they would send a messenger to Hudson to ask for one. Such requests were labeled a "Macedonia call," which was a reference to the Scriptural record of how a man of Macedonia prayed to St. Paul to "Come over to Macedonia and help us."

The name stuck.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Venom
    • Sep 2008

Nice. I like it.
    S m r t - i l i - S l o b o d a

Comment

• Daskalot
      • Sep 2008

To be noted is that this name is not connected to the Macedonian immigrants coming to the Usa in the late 19th and early 20th century.
      Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

Working...
      X