• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • malenka
    • Sep 2008

End of world obsession

Go on CERN, do it!
    Have they done done it already? Is it safe to get out from under my desk now? Hello?!?
    Well, can't dig anything out on it but the world keeps spinning so...
    I guess I have to wait another 4 years

What is it with people? How many times already was this supposed to happen? Everyone, wait for the big boom and the fireworks!....Nothing. Zzzzzzzz
    Very soon every day is going to become glooms day, I mean dooms day, wonder if the bookies are taking money on the 2012 'we are all going to die' day.
  • Jankovska
    • Sep 2008

I was quite pissed off to be honest, I had to come to work so dying was not an option because I do not intend to die at work, that is truly pathetic. Than I have your BBQ on the weekend malenka, I still haven't bought my wedding dress, don't get me started on the shoes and bag. I haven't done so many things, like replacing my bathroom and buying that pair of Manolos etc so you can understand why I got very cross with everyone who was talking about the world ending- I do not have time for world end.

Comment

• Rogi
      • Sep 2008

Well, technically they didn't do the experiment with particle beams going in opposite directions and colliding into each other. They just turned the machine on and sent one particle beam through the tunnel to see if it's all accurate. It will be a couple of months before they do the real experiment.

But Stephen Hawking said the 'end of the world' stuff is crap. I believe him. He's Stephen Hawking.

Comment

• Jankovska
        • Sep 2008

They are saying that it will be the 21st of October that they will do this. World end, I don't believe it.

Comment

• BRSJAK
          • Sep 2008

Well Stephen Hawkins bases his theories on calculations, whilst reality has always been proven to get out of scope. These protons when collided will release extreme energy with temperature outputs 8 times greater than the sun. To re-create that on Earth could lead towards end of days. To control this reaction is still up in the clouds, its not like they will cool it down or shut the collider off. Once formed it expands. So, 31 st of October is when the plan to collide the protons.

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

I noticed all the Hellenic scientists there.
            Apparently they were found after digging 300 metres underground.
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• BRSJAK
              • Sep 2008

Its interesting to note that they invest billions to dig up the origins of how we all became instead they should have invested and solve the riddle of what we may become.

Comment

• Traveller
                Banned
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                I noticed all the Hellenic scientists there.
                Apparently they were found after digging 300 metres underground.
                Haha thats good.We participate with about 40 scientists i think and with a LOOOOOOT of money. As for the significance they say that it is fundamental research, and the war against cancer will be benefited from the technology evolved.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

I would hope some Greeks ended up there. The EU spent big time on this.
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• BRSJAK
                    • Sep 2008

I heard somewhere that the team consisted of around 100+ scientists/engineers, therefore if Greece contributed 40, EU must have spent way too much.....

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by BRSJAK View Post
                      I heard somewhere that the team consisted of around 100+ scientists/engineers, therefore if Greece contributed 40, EU must have spent way too much.....
                      I think he was counting Archimedes, Pythagoras and a few others as well who were there in spirit.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• BRSJAK
                        • Sep 2008

I wonder if the used Arabic or Roman numerals to support the team?

Comment

• Pelister
                          • Sep 2008

\
                          The E.U spends too much money on Greece ... but it needs Greece, like a baby needs its mother's teet.

Comment

• malenka
                            • Sep 2008

Oh well, since the real experiment will take place after my holiday I will get to see end of days chilled and relaxed
                            The tunnels, the speed of light colison of protons, drn drn, I read already in Dan Brown's Angels&Demons. Even reading just that, when to me it meant fantasy, fiction, I still thought what is the point of all that, but to see they are actually doing it?!? Big deal if we understand what happened in the big boombang, but to also claim that the fight for cancer will benefit is simply pathetic excuse of spending all them money. Like those cheap adverts, 'this could help you get rid of dandruf', hey, we never said it will.

OK, never mind that, why I was getting my knickers in a twist was the end days again, and again and again and again. Every day is end of days for someone but look, the world still spins around. I thought my mother in law was the gloomiest person, always looking for a problem, fight, crises and disaster. To my surprise there are a lot of miserable sods out there.

Comment

• Jankovska
                              • Sep 2008

Malenka don't worry at all hun, I am to busy for the end of the world, from your posts I can see you are not up for it either so feet up, lots of wine, cheese and later chocolate and you and me will carry on living the only way we know.
                              I am not impressed with all this to be honest, I don't care what happened milions of years ago, all that money could have been put to a better use, maybe buy food for the children in Africa etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X