X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Delodephius
    • Sep 2008

Total War

Anyone here ever played any game from the Total War series?

I'm currently playing a mod for the Rome Total War called Rome Total Realism. Many gamers felt that the original game was historically inaccurate and so moders started modifying it. For example, the Egyptians were portrayed with soldiers and architecture from the Middle Kingdom period (1500 BC) and not of the period the game occurs (270 BC - 14 AD). There were also some factions from that period that were omitted, like the Illyrians, while some were just anachronic, like Scythians who were replaced by Sarmatians by that time. Also, the RTR mod ads new unit features and a bit more challenging gameplay. At the moment I'm playing two campaigns: the Illyrians and the Bactrians. The two are completely different. The Illyrians are a barbarian faction surrounded by several other factions: the Gauls and Romans in the west, Thracians and Macedonians in the east and the Greeks in the south. The main problem is keeping control over the coastline provinces and maintaining dominance over the Adriatic sea. I must say that the biggest problem for me was the war with the Macedonians which I barely won. Macedonian generals managed to get all the way into what today would be Croatia and attack one of my larger cities, twice. Then I built a fort on the eastern border to prevent them from passing, but after several heavy battles they took the fort and invaded me again. But both suffered severe losses that in the end we signed and alliance to fight of the Greeks in the south. The Greeks were a constant problem since Illyrian warships are poor match for the Greek triremes and I lost almost every single naval battle. But, I took a chance and mounted a invasion across the Adriatic into Italy and together with my Roman allies I took over one of the Greek controlled regions in the south. The fighting there was bloody that the location near Tarentum is marked as the location of a historical battle. I also had some trouble with the Thracians who tried to invade my strongholds in Panonia. Unfortunately, with my forces defending the east and in Italy I had to sign a treaty with the Thracians that I was to be their protectorate. Of course they attacked me several times again and made the same demands. We are allies now. In the west I had a minor incident with the Gauls who threatened to go into a war with me if I didn't pay them tribute. Luckily, they were not smart and the tribute was insignificantly small.

As for Bactria. Being far away in the middle of Asia there aren't that many powerful foes around, besides the Parthians and the Seleucids. But these are either at constant was with each other or fighting wars against their western neighbours like Armenia and the Ptolemids. So I have a lot of freedom to expand east into the rich provinces of India, although at a price. Namely, Indians have powerful elephant troops which are not so easy to take down. So far I took only one of their cities, but soon all will fall!

There is also one new mod that is being developed for the Medieval II Total War game called Europa Barbarorum II. The EB I was made for Rome Total War, but unfortunately I can't play it because with the new graphics and effects my laptop cannot stand it. You should try it out. It is really good:
    Official site of Europa Barbarorum, mod for Rome:Total War

Also, check this mod:
    As Alexander the Great lay on his death bed, his generals and close friends gathered around him... soon the inevitable question had to be asked... who would be alexander's successor, to whom his kingdom would be passed? Alexander responded simply.. To the strongest The mod is based on Alogic's work (you can find all what he have done in the MTW mod sub-forum). It will take place a few years after Alexander's death (we are still debating the start date. I'm thinking about either 308BC
    Last edited by Delodephius; 02-12-2009, 08:11 PM.
    अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
    उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
    This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
    But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.
  • Dejan
    • Sep 2008

Sounds like fun! I tried to give RTW a go a while ago, but found it pretty difficult. Maybe I should try again
    You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• Volk
      • Sep 2008

Hey Slovak, I thoroughly enjoyed this game also, however I found it way to easy even on hardest
      A better AI would have made it even better
      Makedonija vo Srce

Comment

• Sarafot
        • Dec 2008

Which one,SHOGUN,Rome,ALEKSANDER,MEDIEVAL...???
        The best games ever made!I prefer ROME!
        Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
        - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• Delodephius
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Volk View Post
          Hey Slovak, I thoroughly enjoyed this game also, however I found it way to easy even on hardest
          A better AI would have made it even better
          Try downloading some mods for your game:
          Forum, Totalwar, Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Empire, Napoleon, STW, MTW, RTW, VI, BI, Alexander, M2TW, ETW, NTW, S2TW, CA, Creative Assembly, Tournament, Multiplayer, Replays

Usually, the latest the game, the better the AI. Beating the computer players on RT Realism is quite hard even on moderate settings. Or perhaps that's just me.

I definitely suggest waiting out for the new Europa Barbarorum II for M2TW. Here is a preview for it:
          YouTube - EBII - Animation

Comment

• Sarafot
            • Dec 2008

Slovak,where can i take that patch,i only have original,barbarian invasion and aleksandar?

Have any one traied Eu universlais?
            Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.

Comment

• Delodephius
              • Sep 2008

You know when you're addicted to Rome Total War:

1. You cross out Dollar on your dollar bill and put Denarii instead.
              2. You compile lists of flaws and virtues for those living in your household.
              3. You want to learn Latin.
              4. You go to the zoo hoping to making elephants run amok.
              5. You use the local peasants as archery practice with flaming arrows.
              6. You say "This land is Roman!" when having sex.
              7. You try trading map information for homework and expect it to work.
              8. You try to explain a new strategy to your boss using Cataphracts and Horse Archers for an example.
              9. You demand that your school teacher revokes that detention they just gave you, or you will invade their land.
              10. You drive past someone walking a Rotweiller and shout "Wardog!" at them.
              11. You win a game of soccer and attempt to enslave the enemy team in the wake of your victory.
              12. The countryside reminds your of in-game maps.
              13. You say "Not another seige battle" while having sex.
              14. You start to look into the possibility of equipping your car with scythes.
              15. You try to do the wedge formation when attempting to move through a room full of people.
              16. Your neighbours are making too much noise. You offer them the chance to surrender in the terms "accept or we will attack."
              17. When crossing a bridge you look anxiously about for any onagers that might be nearby.
              18. You wonder how many kids you need to build you an Imperial Palace.
              19. You buy a dog and tell it to charge your sister.
              20. You make a group of cats act like a cavalry unit.
              21. You watch Troy and bitch about why the Eastern Infantry didn't rout quicker.
              22. You look about the countryside eying up potential ambush points.
              23. You correct people on city names: London > Londinium
              24. You wonder why the USA hasn't build happiness buildings in Iraq.
              25. You try and convince your parents to have more children because you are the only heir apparent at this time.
              26. You refer to your allowance or pocket money as tribute.
              27. You refer to your family as Generals.
              28. You try to prove in history class the "Amidus Lolius" was a real person.
              29. You give a grand speech to the school in the exact words as the Roman Generals do.
              30. When you get into a fight with a neighbour, you send a fleet to blockade his swimming pool.
              31. While dining, you suddenly attack a family member and demand they hand over their food or you will invade.
              32. At dinner, you are willing to hand over the salt for 500 Denarii for military access to your land.
              33. You steal your neighbours cat and attempt to sell it back to them for 10,000 Denarii, map information, and a regular tribute.
              34. You think wrapping your cat in tinfoil will give it a +3 defensive bonus.
              35. You destroy boats because you think they might attack you.
              36. You try to get your dog to spy on your enemy.
              37. You go to the shopping mall and announce "This land is Roman!"
              38. You try to convince everyone there are only two seasons, Summer and Winter.
              39. You think everything in life requires a rally button.
              40. You look out for tactical choke points during car journeys.
              41. You offer your friend an alliance.
              42. You tell your girlfriend all about your battle plans.
              43. You try to flank people in the hallway at school.
              44. You attempt to resolve a fight with the auto-resolve button.
              45. It starts to rain and you attempt to deploy the testudo formation.
              46. You gut your dog and examine its entrails before deciding what to wear.
              47. You write in your resume all your traits and ancillaries.
              48. You inspire your team by giving them a heroic battle speech.
              49. You have the urge to set pigs on fire and charge them into a crowd of people.
              50. "Unleash Hell!" Becomes your favourite phrase.

Comment

• Delodephius
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Sarafot View Post
                Slovak,where can i take that patch,i only have original,barbarian invasion and aleksandar?
                Try looking in here:
                Forum, Totalwar, Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Empire, Napoleon, STW, MTW, RTW, VI, BI, Alexander, M2TW, ETW, NTW, S2TW, CA, Creative Assembly, Tournament, Multiplayer, Replays

Comment

• Sarafot
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Slovak/Anomaly/Tomas View Post
                  I'm allready playing it!,i kick some greek states ass!
                  Hey Tomas how about multiplay?

Comment

• Spartan
                    • Sep 2008

Dont come down south Sarafot!
                    Im warning you for your own good, lol
                    You may win, but it will cost you
                    Ask Alexander, he stayed clear of us(and us of him, no-doubt) when he started his campaign!!
                    Just joking buddy
                    Kick some Spartan ass if you need to.....lol

Comment

• Sarafot
                      • Dec 2008

Acctualy i have not yet conqure it,together with Athina and Corint,they are in Greek hands.

realy do somebody know something about multiplayer,we can kick each other ass on the batle field.

Comment

Working...
                      X