X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dimko-piperkata
    • Sep 2008

Powerful head of Russian Orthodox church Alexiy dies

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Patriarch Alexiy II, the head of Russia's powerful Orthodox Church, has died at his residence at the age of 79, a church spokesman said on Friday.

A spokesman for the Moscow Patriarchy of the Russian Orthodox Church said Alexiy had died on Friday morning at his residence in Peredelkino outside Moscow.

The Church never commented on Alexiy's health and did not immediately disclose a cause of death but diplomats in Moscow had said that the patriarch had been suffering from cancer.

Head of the Russian Orthodox Church for the past 18 years, the Estonian-born Alexiy was an influential figure with close links to the Kremlin.

He oversaw a major religious revival in Russia after the collapse of the Soviet Union, with hundreds of new churches built across the country.

In a first reaction, former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev said he was "so shocked that it is very hard for me to find words on the spot," Interfax news agency reported. "I respected him deeply."

Russian television immediately began running excerpts from what it said was Alexiy's last television interview at the end of October.

President Dmitry Medvedev, who was on an official visit to India, was expected to make a statement on the death shortly.
    1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum...
    2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum...
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Yeah whatever, could have recognised the Macedonian Church.
    Didn't.
    Let the Estonians mourn.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

He did promote tolerance with regard to the MOC, but you are right RTG, a person of such status, strong and influental, holding the position of power within the largest Slavonic-speaking church (Russian) in the world, could easily have pushed through a resolution with the SOC to recognize the MOC. He didn't.

The time for talk and half-measures is done, Macedonians should guage the sincerity and integrity of others by the actions resulting from intentions, not just their 'good' words or messages of 'hope'.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Orovnichanec
        • Sep 2008

He was very powerful yes, but whether the ROC had recognized us would make no difference, though it would stir the pot.

It comes down to the top guy.
        "Oh, Macedonians! It is time we realized that the greatest demon Macedonia must battle against is none other than Bulgaria" - Krste Petkov Misirkov

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

Hey KM, why wouldn't it have a made a difference? Wouldn't it have helped if he twisted some more arms in support of the Macedonian church and the spirit of acceptance of all Orthodox brothers?

If I recall he was in disputes also with Constantinople or/and the Ukraine, having the recognition and support of the ROC would surely have boosted up our confidence and strength on that particular front, don't you agree?
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Orovnichanec
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
            Hey KM, why wouldn't it have a made a difference? Wouldn't it have helped if he twisted some more arms in support of the Macedonian church and the spirit of acceptance of all Orthodox brothers?

If I recall he was in disputes also with Constantinople or/and the Ukraine, having the recognition and support of the ROC would surely have boosted up our confidence and strength on that particular front, don't you agree?
            I do agree that it would cause a stir in the Orthodox world as I stated in my previous post, but at the end of the day it would come down to Tsarigrad at the end.

I don't disagree with you on the importance if he would have done it, but it wouldn't have been enough, as Tsarigrad has final say whether we like it or not, and atop of that the leader is a Greek.
            "Oh, Macedonians! It is time we realized that the greatest demon Macedonia must battle against is none other than Bulgaria" - Krste Petkov Misirkov

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

I suppose you are right, full acceptance in the Orthodox world will only come after the approval of Tsarigrad, the dispute between the ROC and Tsarigrad over the Estonian Church issue would make the latter less influental in such a decision also. I have a book that speaks of one Patriarch some time ago that may have been sympathetic to the Macedonian Church, when I locate the text I will post it here.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

I had dinner last night with some Russians I met here in Hawaii.
                When asked what nationality I was, they then asked what language is that .... Greek?
                I soon corrected them, later I reminded them about where they got their alphabet from (amongst other things). They were so genuinely surprised that it makes me wonder whether an appropriate campaign should be instigated in Europe to raise awareness about Macedonians.
                Risto the Great

Comment

• TerraNova
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                  I had dinner last night with some Russians I met here in Hawaii.
                  When asked what nationality I was, they then asked what language is that .... Greek?
                  I soon corrected them, later I reminded them about where they got their alphabet from (amongst other things). They were so genuinely surprised that it makes me wonder whether an appropriate campaign should be instigated in Europe to raise awareness about Macedonians.
                  A Russian archbishop dies...and here come the Greeks again

Ups! A raindeer farted in Mogolia...guess who s responsible!

Comment

• Jankovska
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TerraNova View Post

Terra Nova why are you here? I can see no use so how about you fuck off and go and waste someone else's time.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TerraNova View Post

I believe I highlighted the lack of knowledge of the Macedonian plight in Europe.
                      You, on the other hand, highlighted how stupid you are. Shall I go on?
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• TerraNova
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                        I believe I highlighted the lack of knowledge of the Macedonian plight in Europe.
                        You, on the other hand, highlighted how stupid you are. Shall I go on?
                        Originally Posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post

I do agree that it would cause a stir in the Orthodox world as I stated in my previous post, but at the end of the day it would come down to Tsarigrad at the end.

I don't disagree with you on the importance if he would have done it, but it wouldn't have been enough, as Tsarigrad has final say whether we like it or not, and atop of that the leader is a Greek.

Who talked about your sayings??

You know..planets don't turn around your ass Risto!

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

What on earth are you rambling on about......

Comment

Working...
                          X