"I am from Macedonia and I won't define myself...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dimko-piperkata
    • Sep 2008

"I am from Macedonia and I won't define myself...

Vice Premier Bocevski attends EU Parliament session

"I am from Macedonia and I won't define myself in any other way than being Macedonian, stressed Vice Premier responsible for EU affairs Ivica Bocevski, responding to a Greek MEP at a session of European Parliament's Committee on Foreign Affairs."

Responding to MEP's remark that Macedonia should demonstrate greater willingness for compromise with regard to the name row, Bocevski said the country thus far had made several concessions on the matter.

- Macedonia has accepted to be called under an acronym, it was under economic blockades, changed its flag, the Constitution and in spite of all that Macedonia remains dedicated to the EU integration. One should ask which country is more willing to make a compromise and to make progress, said the Vice PM, who delivered an address on Tuesday before the Committee.

He noted the word consensus meant finding fair and mutually acceptable solution that wouldn't harm the country's identity.

- The Republic of Macedonia is fully committed to the EU integration process and the country has political and administrative capacity to kick off membership talks, stressed Bocevski.

German MEP Bernd Posselt had an opening statement on Macedonia's progress in the EU. He expressed his disappointment and disbelief by the way Macedonia had been treated by the European Union.

-I am not happy with the work of the European Council. If I were to summarize any activities I would say I am disappointed with three things. I strongly disagree with the European Council's report on Macedonia's election. In 99% of Macedonia's electoral votes, the voting passed European standards, yet the country was given harsh report because of incidents among minorities in few tiny villages. Because of few villages we are punishing the whole country, says Bernd Posselt.

Posselt made a note on the way the European Union behaves towards the Macedonian Government. "An overwhelming majority of Macedonians and minorities support the Government, yet for any single individual from the opposition who boycotts parliament we go up in arms? Are we looking for something, anything to punish Macedonia?" asked Posselt.

The German MEP also expressed strong disagreement with the EC report on Macedonia's progress towards the EU. Bernd Posselt saw the progress as 'not realistic' and 'very harsh', adding that Macedonia is more fit to be a EU member than some current EU members. The leader of the Greens, Angelika Beer agreed with Posselt, accusing nationalistic Greece of causing problems in the region.

Slovenian MEP Jelko Kacin stated that EU had double standards given the fact that when it came to the status of any Western Balkans candidate country, deadlines were being set when something needed to be completed, whereas for Macedonia "it is impossible to set a date when something needs to start."

He stressed both Macedonia and Greece were very close to reaching a resolution, emphasizing that no one had the right to condition someone about his/hers national identity.

- When I talk about the language, I have the right for self-determination, when I talk about my affiliation I have the sole right to say who I am, what I am and how I feel. If someone wants to debate the name of my country that's fine, but the other two issues cannot be a subject of a debate, noted Kacin.

According to the MEP, a concrete date must be set for resolving the name dispute. He said that the best option was a date to be set by the three international subjects - the United Nations, EU and NATO, whereas the affected sides - Macedonia and Greece - to accept it, which is unlikely in near future. //12.03.08
    1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum...
    2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum...
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

The support seems encouraging, but all of it falls on the deaf ears of the pack of clowns heading the European political scene.

Kacin's comments are interesting in particular:
    When I talk about the language, I have the right for self-determination, when I talk about my affiliation I have the sole right to say who I am, what I am and how I feel. If someone wants to debate the name of my country that's fine, but the other two issues cannot be a subject of a debate, noted Kacin.
    Really? So negotiating your name to something other than (Republic of) Slovenia beginning from the platform of (FYROS) Former Yugoslav Republic of Slovenia is, 'fine'? I am sure that Kacin and the Slovenes have the best intentions for us, but this comment demonstrates how deep the nonsensical arrogance of the EU spreads into its (decent) members. I doubt any Slovene would negotiate the name of their state, let alone change it under the circumstances in which the Macedonians find themselves in.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Rogi
      • Sep 2008

SoM, I completely agree with what you've written.

This is the EU position and the Greek position and originally SDSM's idea and position but seems to be creeping into VMRO-DPMNE too.

The fact that where originally it was all about the name and we would not change it, not they have managed to mix the language and identity into it, so as to blur things and so that Macedonia can change the name and promote/sell the notion of success/win because it 'kept' the language and identity.

Basically, it's bullshit that is being prepared for a name change.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Personally, I don't mind the Slovenes at all, most have shown themselves to be genuinely sympathetic to our cause, however, it is always easier giving advice from an armchair when you are not in the same predicament as the person receiving your advice.

Saying it is 'fine' to negotiate about the name of your own country is a thoughtless comment, which, to justify, Kacin should repeat to all Slovenes and gauge their reaction to this 'fine' process.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Pelister
          • Sep 2008

It is in my opinion the position of the Macedonian leadership, and State leaders regarding their own identity, their own name and history that has given everyone else "licence" to do the same. If everyone one is rebuking and negating the Macedonian identity, history and culture - it is because the position of the Macedonian government encourages them to.

Comment

• slovenec zrinski
            • Sep 2008

I have written to him to demand a clarification. Did that yesterday and so far no answer. But you can give him your opinion yourselves:

When looking for this link I came across this earlier statement of his. He is clearly no friend of Macedonia:

"The Republic of Macedonia needs to fulfil the test of democratic standards at its next election and demonstrate maturity by fully committing itself to reaching a compromise with Greece on the name issue."

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

Good on you for writing to him Zrinski, but the information you have just shown of the Slovene leader is disappointing. Several of these politicians in the EU don't seem to be in touch with reality anymore.

Comment

• slovenec zrinski
                • Sep 2008

I had to write because I feel ashamed of the stance of this EU-parlamentarian on the Macedonian "issue".
                I want to see support 100% from the Slovenian politicians not this halfhearted approach from them. I know that they know that you are right on this and I my only wish is that they do the right thing and show that support and work for your country in the EU.

Comment

• Sarafot
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                  The support seems encouraging, but all of it falls on the deaf ears of the pack of clowns heading the European political scene.

Kacin's comments are interesting in particular:

Really? So negotiating your name to something other than (Republic of) Slovenia beginning from the platform of (FYROS) Former Yugoslav Republic of Slovenia is, 'fine'? I am sure that Kacin and the Slovenes have the best intentions for us, but this comment demonstrates how deep the nonsensical arrogance of the EU spreads into its (decent) members. I doubt any Slovene would negotiate the name of their state, let alone change it under the circumstances in which the Macedonians find themselves in.
                  Yea good intentions,Rupel went to Kavadarci to by refus vine and sell it undr Slovenian trade mark,they also have national food speciality called AJVAR,they also wanted MASTIKA brand and in my passport is writen,palce of birth MAKEDONIJA NEKDANJA JUG.REP.....
                  Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
                  - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• Sarafot
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by slovenec zrinski View Post
                    I have written to him to demand a clarification. Did that yesterday and so far no answer. But you can give him your opinion yourselves:

When looking for this link I came across this earlier statement of his. He is clearly no friend of Macedonia:

"The Republic of Macedonia needs to fulfil the test of democratic standards at its next election and demonstrate maturity by fully committing itself to reaching a compromise with Greece on the name issue."
                    Yes i agree wit you brother,when he speaks about Macedonia in the world ,he allways refers to us as SLAVO MACEDONIANS,good save us from such friends.Once he say i was traveling thru Solun i could speak with population in Serbo Macedonian...
                    Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
                    - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

Working...
                    X