X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philosopher
    • Sep 2008

It's all Greek to me: The etymology of Vasileus and Vasil

Perhaps someone, Greek or Barbarian, can help me out hither.

What is the origin of the name Basileus? Well, it depends on who you ask. I know Westerners want to ascribe everything that is un-intelligible as “it’s all Greek to me,” but being an educated man, and one who does not buy into the philosophy of “it’s all Greek to me,” I will give my analysis.

The name “Basileus,” or “Basil,” or “Vasilis,” or “Vasil,” etc, are all variants of each other. The name “Basileus” is argued by some to be a “Greek name.” I’m suspect of this claim.

The name Basileus means King or sovereign or royal, etc. It is argued that Vasil, the Macedonian word for Basil, comes from the Greek word, Basileus. However, I fail to see the logic in this. How can a borrowed, foreign, transliterated word, have intrinsic meaning in the Macedonian tongue? And how can the same name have the same (or very similar at the least) meaning in separate languages?

Certain names that are Greek in origin, or any origin, when transliterated into another language, have no inherit meaning in that new language. So, for example, the Greek word Georgios, earth worker, has no meaning in English. George in English is a borrowed word. Much like Paul, Andrew, and John—they’re all borrowed from other languages.

In the case of Macedonia, for example, the Greek word Petros, rock, has no inherit meaning of Petar in Macedonian. A translation of the name Petros into Macedonian would be Camin.

In the case of Basileus, however, it is different. Vasil, or Basil, has inherit meaning. "Sil" in Macedonian means powerful one or mighty one, ruling over others. I find it odd how Basil, if indeed a transliteration of the Greek Basileus, can have inherit meaning in Macedonian.

I equally find it odd how the etymology of the Greek Basileus is uncertain. Does anyone, any Greek, know what the etymology of Basileus is? How does “va-sil-eus” mean King or powerful one, or royal in Greek? In Macedonian “va-sil” means ruling over others, powerful, mighty.

Wikipedia has this:

The etymology of basileus is unclear. The Mycenaean form was gwasileus (��������, qa-si-re-u), denoting some sort of court official or local chieftain, but not an actual king. Most linguists assume that it is a non-Greek word that was adopted by Bronze Age Greeks from a preexisting linguistic substrate of the Eastern Mediterranean. Schindler (1976) argues for an inner-Greek innovation of the -eus inflection type from Indo-European material rather than a "Mediterranean" loan.

Babynames.com has this:

The boy's name Basil \b(a)-sil\ is pronounced BAZ-el. It is of Greek origin, and its meaning is "royal, kingly". From the Greek name Basileios, derived from "basileus", meaning "king". Saint Basil (fourth century) of Caesarea was called "the Great" and regarded as one of the Fathers of the Eastern Church. Also the name of several early saints martyred in the East. Brought to England by the Crusaders, having been common in the eastern Mediterranean. More often used in Britain and Europe than in the US. Also the name of a common herb. In Arabic, the name means "brave".British actor Basil Rathbone played Sherlock Holmes in 14 films in the 1940s. Basile is French; Basilius is German; Basilio is Italian and Spanish.

Notice the propaganda in babynames.com; "it is of Greek origin." How can this be, when most experts argue that it is not of Greek origin? It must have been "Greek" to the people at that website.

The fundamental problem is that when adepts start with an a prior assumption that "Slavs" came to the Balkans in the 6th century, they automatically preclude the possibility that any word or name maybe Macedonian in etymology and not Greek or Latin.
    Last edited by Philosopher; 10-24-2008, 02:58 PM.
  • Spartan
    • Sep 2008

As far as I know, you cannot break downd the name Basilios.
    The word "Basilios(not Basileus) simply means king.
    It is used in Greek as someones name, or to refer to a King.Vasilisa means queen, and the female version(all Greek names have a female version)of the name is "Vasiliki", which translates to "royal"
    Wether the word/name came from somewhere else I dont know.
    Hope that helps you out somewhat

Comment

• Svoliani
      Banned
      • Sep 2008

I was hoping Juicy Fruit would put this up in this forum.

Your attempts are futile. As spartan explained the word means 'KING or ROYAL' in the Greek language. The word does not need to be changed around its straight forward VASILIAS = KING and thats where you get the name VASILI from.
      Your post in the other forum mentions something about ' sil ' meaning powerful , thats awesome , in Russian SILA or SIL means ' strength or power' . THE WORD FOR KING/EMPEROR IS CLEARLY TZAR in the Slavonic languages.
      I like when you mention 'im not sure what the Va stands for' yeah of course your not sure cause it means nothing, which is what you are trying to do here, making something out of nothing.
      Im gonna give you a 2/10 becuase of the entertainment value in your post and for making us laugh a bit.

Comment

• osiris
        • Sep 2008

so wikpedia your favourite source svoliani is wrong in this case .

The etymology of basileus is unclear. The Mycenaean form was gwasileus (𐀣𐀯𐀩𐀄, qa-si-re-u), denoting some sort of court official or local chieftain, but not an actual king. Most linguists assume that it is a non-Greek word that was adopted by Bronze Age Greeks from a preexisting linguistic substrate of the Eastern Mediterranean. Schindler (1976) argues for an inner-Greek innovation of the -eus inflection type from Indo-European material rather than a "Mediterranean" loan.
        are you still in denial about the extent and depth of non greek lona words in the ancient hellenic langauge. would you like a list of some of the more famous ones.

Comment

• Svoliani
          Banned
          • Sep 2008

It says the etymology is Unclear.
          I dont care if Bronze age Greeks borrowed it from Egyptians or Cavemen or whoever. The word has nothing to do with SIL .

Now if you will excuse me im gonna go start a thread about how the name Goran comes from the Greek word Agora.

A member was banned for using Wikipedia, so i hope this 'Philosopher' gets atleast a warning!!

Its funny how its a bad source when it squashes your claims, but a good source when we have to go back 5000 years to find an etymology of a word.
          Last edited by Svoliani; 10-24-2008, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Svoliani View Post
            It says the etymology is Unclear.
            I dont care if Bronze age Greeks borrowed it from Egyptians or Cavemen or whoever. The word has nothing to do with SIL .
            Let me re-phrase what you said ... "I don't care where the word came from as long as I can deny it has any connection to a slavic language". Is that better for you?

And "Tzar" is as slavic as you are.
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• osiris
              • Sep 2008

so when a greek boroows you dont caee but if some one else borrows the same word you quickly point it out. you are aj oke svoliani, sure you dont want a list of borrowed words, here is the most famous one

athena.

Comment

• Svoliani
                Banned
                • Sep 2008

I did not start a thread about the origin of the name Basil .
                I certainly did not try to make some sort of Modern Macedonian Connection to it either.
                Since this thread is useless, lets continue with this

They are up to 5 pages next door with ' Unique Macedonian Words' and so far they havent come up with one!!

They dont believe the Slovak guy so how about some Ruski help

Maroz = Ice you know that guy Ded Maroz
                Zamiorzno = Frozen
                Dosht = Rain
                Masla = Oil
                Tiplo = Warm, hot
                --------------------
                and some Greek help
                Kalchini = socks Kaltses in Greek
                Dzevgar = pair Zevgari in Greek
                (Im surprised the fountain of knowledge Stojanov didnt know this)
                Bunela = Fork From your Vlach friends ela ending gives it away.

And there was a shitload of Turkish words i wont even list them.

Thats cool osiris, Athena is Egyptian?? What about Snezana??

Comment

• Svoliani
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
                  so when a greek boroows you dont caee but if some one else borrows the same word you quickly point it out. you are aj oke svoliani, sure you dont want a list of borrowed words, here is the most famous one

athena.
                  "The name Basileus means King or sovereign or royal, etc. It is argued that Vasil, the Macedonian word for Basil, comes from the Greek word, Basileus. However, I fail to see the logic in this. How can a borrowed, foreign, transliterated word, have intrinsic meaning in the Macedonian tongue? And how can the same name have the same (or very similar at the least) meaning in separate languages?"

GOd bless you Osiris, you admit that its a borrowed word.
                  THis gentlemen is having a hard time accepting that, show him the way.

Comment

• osiris
                    • Sep 2008

svoliani i honetly thought you were more openminded than you are. so its raelly no point in debating history with you anymore.

if you at this point in your life are not aware of the origins of the word athena , you are obviously not willing to learn what does not suit your perspective.

Comment

• Philosopher
                      • Sep 2008

Svoliani,

You are not that bright; in fact, I think you are rather stupid. Yet, for such a small intellect, you sure endeavor to make yourself smart. First of all, I'm not Juicy Fruit. You're right; this topic has been used in the other forum, which serves as the inspiration of this forum. The ideas are the same.

Second, once again, you get your facts wrong. I recall you did the same when you were refuted, by me, about the Cretan ending "akis." You said it didn't mean "son of"; and then I proved it to you from a Greek translation website that the word, in addition to being a diminutive, also means "son of." You shut your mouth then; I will shut your mouth again.

In the instance of Vasil, you are very wrong...again. You obviously don't know anything about etymology, you fool.

(1) How can a borrowed a name, Vasil, from the Greek Vasileus, have inherit meaning in Macedonian? Answer me this? Does the Greek version of Michael mean anything in Greek? What is its etymology?

(2) You really are stupid. The Macedonian word for mountain is "gora," right? Yet, there is another Macedonian word for mountain--"Planina." Are we to assume that because both words are different, that they don't both mean mountain?

(3) The Macedonian word for king is "Krale," or "Kralevic," not tsar you idiot. Just because there is another word “King,” Krale, doesn’t mean that “Va-sil” is not also an appellation for king.

(4) When one looks at the etymology of a given word, one has to understand its primitive meaning. Words evolve and therefore, either change over time or become the basis of other words. So, for example, the Hebrew word for God is “El.” However, why, you might ask, would this word indicate “God” to the Hebrews? And, what is the root meaning of the word “EL?” “EL,” if you don’t know, means “Mighty one.” So we see that the ancients gave this title to “God,” because the etymology of “EL” is Mighty one.

Are we to argue that “Va-sil,” because its etymology is “powerful one, or mighty one,” it can’t form the basis, perhaps sometime in the distance past, of one “ruling over others, like a King?” If not, why not? And even if the word cannot mean a king in Macedonian, and we limit the word to “powerful one or mighty one,” what would have stopped the ancient Hellenes from borrowing the word and building upon it, so as to use it as “king?”

I’m waiting for an answer…

P.S. one last thing, the only reason I used wikipedia is to give an added opinon to my post, not as an offical stamp on the matter. I normally don't use wiki.
                      Last edited by Philosopher; 10-25-2008, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• Philosopher
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Svoliani View Post
                        THE WORD FOR KING/EMPEROR IS CLEARLY TZAR in the Slavonic languages.
                        Once again, you have proven why you are the village idiot.

(1) Tzar is not the word for king in Macedonian.
                        (2) This one is really funny. Tzar does not necessairly mean "king." It means "one having great power or authority." It was a title for the ruler of Russia until the 1917 Revolution. However, the Russian "tsisari" comes from the Goth "Kaisar," which comes from the Latin "Caesar."

Caesar does mean Emperor, as does Tsar, but the root meaning is one that has "great power or authority," one who is "powerful." Its initial meaning is one who has "great power or authority"; however, the meaning of the word evolved to become "Emperor." My point is, therefore, that the etymology of the word later became an appellation, or a title, for the word Emperor.

First, learn the facts; and instead of coming on this forum with your first grade logic and education, you should approach us with reverence and deep humility, instead of brazeness and wantoness.

Comment

• Svoliani
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2008

Yes Kareol is used for King also in Russian, in Russia Tsar is known as a king/emperor. What your saying is a King and Emperor are a bit different, fair enough. So you do use Tsar for Emperor then? What about Tsar Samuel?? Alexandar Tsar Makedonski??
                          I assumed you used this word also, since i heard Tsarigrad mentioned a few times, it looks like you had nothing to do with naming this city.
                          Since you used wiki to read about Tsar i hope you read the whole text.
                          Vasil has no meaning in your language , you found a word 'sil' in Vasil and made some kind of assumption , a futile attempt, trying to make some kind of connection. Here are some other sources i got just for you ok

Basil - From the Greek name Basileios 'royal' (a derivative of basileus king) The name was borne by St Basil the Great, bishop of caesarea, a theologan regarded as one of the fathers of the eastern church
                          A Dictoniary of First Names
                          Oxford University Press
                          Patrick Flanks, Flavia Hodges Pg 36

Basil - From the Grek basileios , meaning 'kingly' . It was probably brought to England by the Crusaders, and it has remained in use ever since.
                          Collins Dictoniary of First Names
                          Julia Creswell pg 45

Basil - From the Greek , basilon, ' royal ' . St Basil the Great came from a remarkable christian family etc etc etc you know the rest
                          The Best Baby Names Book
                          Louise Nicholson pg 144

Until you find out what the Va means in your language , the only village idiot here is you, now heres a chance to redeem yourself , tell us the etymology of the name Kliment .

Osiris,
                          Athene - Ancient name of unknown etymology borne in Greek Mythology by the godess of wisdom, skill and warfare.
                          Last edited by Svoliani; 10-25-2008, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Philosopher
                            • Sep 2008

Svoliani,

You don't get it, do you? I am not arguing that Emperor and King are different things. That's not the point of my previous post. Frankly, I couldn't care whether both meant the same thing. My point was that Empror and King, by very definition, mean one who has "great power or authority." Originally, the word Caesar, in its most simplistic definition, meant "one who has great power." The word evolved to become a title for the Emperor--"Caesar." This is the root meaning of King and Emperor, as, by definition, Emperor and king mean "a person having greaty power, strength, or authority."

You missed the point of my post.

Basileus has no inherit meaning in Greek; just as Petros has no inherit meaning in Macedonian. Basileus is an imported name in Greece. In Macedonian, the name Vasil has inherit meaning. Imported words don't have inherit meaning in another language.

Question, what does Michael mean in Greek? The answer is that it has no meaning--why? Because the name is of Hebrew origin; in Hebrew "el" means mighty one or God; and Micha means "who is like." When together, it means "who is like God?" In Greek, however, Michael has no meaning, because it is a foreign word.

In this sense, Basileus has no meaning in Greek. No part of the word "Va-sil-eus--in Greek composes the word "King." The word means King because it comes from another language.

How can you say "Vasil" has no meaning in Macedonian?

In Macedonian, "va-sil" means "a powerful or mighty man." Just as "EL," in Hebrew, means "Mighty one" and "God," so "Va-sil" in Macedonian can mean "a powerful man" and a "king." The root meaning behind "va-sil" composes the meaning of a "King."

The ancient Greeks, when this word was imported to them, built upon the etymology of "Vasil" and translated the word as "king" in Greek.

There is no other way to intepret this matter.

Comment

• Philosopher
                              • Sep 2008

It turns out, that, "va" in Vasil, in Macedonian, means "in" and therefore the meaning of Vasil is "one who is in power or authority," as in one who is ruling--like a king or potentate.

So it looks like you have been disproved, once and for all?

Admit defeat!!!
                              Last edited by Philosopher; 10-25-2008, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X